Ivy Bridge Memory OC question

Domingo

Fully [H]
Joined
Jul 30, 2004
Messages
24,245
So I'm pretty new to OC'ing my Ivy Bridge 3770K and right now I'm just using the "OC Genie" for the mainboard. Just for the hell of it, I boosted my CPU ratio to 44 and had no issue at 4.4 ghz with no other tweaks, too.
However, my memory is still sitting at 800mhz. Back with my i7 920, that would scale with BCLK. Is that worth messing with on Ivy Bridge? If so, what are some values I should tweak at 4.2ghz and 4.4ghz?
 
Everything I've read says memory overclocking isn't worth it on latest intel chips... DDR3 1600Mhz and stock timings, and you're set... almost zero gain beyond that.
 
Not worth messing with unless you are doing something that is really, really memory intensive.
 
Everything I've read says memory overclocking isn't worth it on latest intel chips... DDR3 1600Mhz and stock timings, and you're set... almost zero gain beyond that.

This.

Not worth messing with unless you are doing something that is really, really memory intensive.

Even memory intensive tasks aren't going to get a measurable real world difference or benefit from higher speeds higher than 1333/1600 or tighter timings below CAS 9.
 
Thanks for the info! I started hunting around on different OC and review sites and some did it others didn't.
 
Back
Top