Ivy Bridge i7-3770K ES: Early Benchmarks

aviat72

Limp Gawd
Did not see this posted though it has been going around for a few days now.
http://www.legitreviews.com/news/12310/
It appears that an Intel Core i7-3770K 'Ivy Bridge' 22nm processor landed in the hands of Taiwanese overclocker TOPPC. He must not be under an NDA as he disclosed having it and while he didn't release any actual performance numbers, he did talk about performance. This looks to be a very recent stepping that has a 3.5GHz clock frequency. With Intel Turbo Boost technology the Core i7 3770K can ramp up to 3.9GHz on single threaded applications. TOPPC said that the performance of CPU is 10% better than the Intel Core i7-2600K. He also said that the memory controller i s golden as the maximum available memory option is now 2800 MHz. The Intel Core i7-3770K 'Ivy Bridge' processor is said to be coming out in April along with all of the Ivy Bridge CPUs, so expect a ton of leaks to start happening.

More links
https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Intel+Ivy+Bridge+Core+i7-3770K

Pics or it didn't happen.

Anyways, if what he says is representative of retail chips, and that is a big IF, it seems like the Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge architecture have a cap of around 5-5.4 ghz.

3% higher clock speed netting 10% higher performance means that there have been some architecture tweaks, but nothing major. In other words, the only reason to go from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge (based on this rumor) is lower power consumption, as overclockability isn't any better.

Of course, this is all speculation based on an unconfirmed rumor.

How do you know OCing won't be any better? 45nm processors like Bloomfield maxed out at around 4 GHz, 32nm processors like SB maxed out at around 4.7 GHz, why wouldn't this one overclock better? I was thinking these would be hitting around 5.2 GHz left and right.

Are these chips for 2011 motherboards with X79, cause I see Z77 mentioned. Does Ivy bridge require a new motherboard chip? And more importantly what does the motherboard chip support? PCIe lanes, USB3.0, PCI3.0 etc.???

Current Intel 6x chipsets will support IB with a BIOS update. Z77 will add native (4) USB3, and have 16 lanes PCIe 3.0.

Pics here
http://wccftech.com/intel-ivy-bridge-22nm-core-i7-3770k-es-benchmarks-unveiled/

Expectations are of about 5-6% due to architecture changes and a similar amount due to overclocking. This article claims 5GHz @1.17V with proper cooling.

Another claimed 4.8 with all cores active and 5+ on single threaded. These are ES so final stepping should be better.
http://lenzfire.com/2012/01/intel-i...engineering-sample-overclocking-review-87206/

Dantrax: this Ivy Bridge CPU is LGA 1155. The updated chipset supports PCIe 3.0 and other features.

Too many links to get the info. ;) Here's a summary:

Ivy Bridge i7-3770K ES / SNB i7-2700K / SNB-E i7-3960X
LGA 1155 / LGA 1155 / LGA 2011
77W? / 95W / 130W
3.5, 3.9GHz turbo / 3.5, 3.9GHz turbo / 3.3, 3.9GHz turbo
8MB L3 / 8MB L3 / 15MB L3
4c, 8t / 4c, 8t / 5c, 12t

Ivy Bridge i7-3770K ES / SNB i7-2700K / SNB-E i7-3960X
Cinebench R11.5 1 thread
1.65 / 1.54 / 1.57 (IB 5% faster than 2700K)

Cinebench R11.5 multi-threaded
7.52 / 7.08 / 10.52 (IB 6% faster than 2700K)

Fritz Chess Benchmark 1 thread
2643 Kilonodes/s / ? / ?

Fritz Chess Benchmarks Multi Thread
13869 Kilonodes/s / 13374 Kilonodes/s / 19387 Kilonodes/s (IB 4% faster than 2700K)

3DMark06 IGP sm2, sm3 scores
2158, 2776 / 1639, 1917 / NA (IB HD 4000 32% & 45% faster than SNB HD 3000)

3DMark06 CPU score
7170 / 6872 / NA (IB 4% faster than 2700K)

Not bad for a tweak/shrink, while significantly reducing power. Haswell will be out in a year if this disappoint you.

That is one beautiful CPU, can April get here soon enough? Ahhhh think I might take a week off for the new build:

samsung syncmaster S24A850DW 24" LED IPS Monitor LEDs for much less heat than the DELL U2412 CCFL
corsair vengeance 1866Mhz 8Gb 2x4Gb dual channel kit red
asus maximus V extreme mobo with thunderbolt
intel Ivy Bridge 3770K 3.5Ghz Quad core LGA1155 cpu TDP 77watts
corsair h100
sanyo denki fans 9s1212m4011 13amp (2) much quieter than the stock corsair fans
corsair psu cable kit red
corsair 1000w platinum psu hybrid fan "off" to 30% load which I will never reach in idle or office mode
asus 7870 or 7950gpu...fans on the 7970 run at 10% in auto mode so quiet

Last edited:
Looking forward to it as my current system seems to be on its last legs. The NIC on my board has died, I think my H50 has stopped working, my storage drive died this morning and even the power button has crapped out. :(

Looking forward to it as my current system seems to be on its last legs. The NIC on my board has died, I think my H50 has stopped working, my storage drive died this morning and even the power button has crapped out. :(

I know that feeling, my old core 2 duo e8500 is ready for retirement, put out to pasture as a word processor over in the corner somewhere, it has worked hard and is very tired!;) Now it barely handles my workload, getting "high cpu usage" alerts from Norton software every few minutes, haha. Mobo an old Intel extreme X48 has died twice with Intel sending me 2 replacements, but now out of warranty, crossing fingers it stays alive until Ivy Bridge is released...

So X79, 2011 socket mobos are DOA. Wow that was quick.

No, socket 2011 is the enthusiast platform and Z77 with Ivy Bridge is mainstream. IVB-E chips will be released later this year and are suppose to work on existing X79 motherboards.

How do you know OCing won't be any better? 45nm processors like Bloomfield maxed out at around 4 GHz, 32nm processors like SB maxed out at around 4.7 GHz, why wouldn't this one overclock better? I was thinking these would be hitting around 5.2 GHz left and right.

I'm basing it on two conditions: that the article can be believed, and that these chips are representative of retail chips, as I already stated.

In the article, it states that he was able to get it to hit 5.2-5.4 in single-threaded apps, and just below 5 ghz with multi-threaded apps. I don't know about you, but that sounds awfully similar to SB for me. Remember, SB tends to have a "wall" where it won't overclock any higher no matter how much volts you put into it. If IB has a similar limitation, overclocking won't be any better.

However, if the other article is true, and that hitting 5ghz is possible with 1.17 volts, then it is very likely it can overclock higher.

I'm looking forward to seeing some results on how well the new IB will overclock... hopefully this new generation will push/move the overall overclocking "bell curve average" forward by another 200/300 Mhz?

Last edited:
I'm basing it on two conditions: that the article can be believed, and that these chips are representative of retail chips, as I already stated.

In the article, it states that he was able to get it to hit 5.2-5.4 in single-threaded apps, and just below 5 ghz with multi-threaded apps. I don't know about you, but that sounds awfully similar to SB for me. Remember, SB tends to have a "wall" where it won't overclock any higher no matter how much volts you put into it. If IB has a similar limitation, overclocking won't be any better.

However, if the other article is true, and that hitting 5ghz is possible with 1.17 volts, then it is very likely it can overclock higher.

The top multiplier on IB is 63 vs 57 on SB, about 10% higher. Most SB run in the mid 4s under normal voltage. I think most IBs will run around 5.0.

There are very few applications which are CPU constrained, and more and more are becoming multi-threaded. But for applications using VMs or those requiring peak burst processing power, the extra 10% may be worth the upgrade.

I will defer any new purchase unless it absolutely urgent to do it before IB comes out; or you are getting an incredible deal on the SB.

In other words, the only reason to go from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge (based on this rumor) is lower power consumption, as overclockability isn't any better.

Maybe for you. For me another reason to get IB (I already am on SB) is resale value. I'm near a Microcenter so I can buy and resell parts losing very little to nothing and sometimes even make money.

Anyways, if what he says is representative of retail chips, and that is a big IF, it seems like the Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge architecture have a cap of around 5-5.4 ghz.

3% higher clock speed netting 10% higher performance means that there have been some architecture tweaks, but nothing major. In other words, the only reason to go from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge (based on this rumor) is lower power consumption, as overclockability isn't any better.

Of course, this is all speculation based on an unconfirmed rumor.

Everytime I read some article like this, I wonder if I should bother with a X79. My X58 is doing great and I don't see a real compelling reason to upgrade. Maybe waiting for Haswell is the better choice.

Are these chips for 2011 motherboards with X79, cause I see Z77 mentioned. Does Ivy bridge require a new motherboard chip? And more importantly what does the motherboard chip support? PCIe lanes, USB3.0, PCI3.0 etc.???

No, the X79 Ivy Bridge-E will be out late 2012 from the latest rumors.

No, socket 2011 is the enthusiast platform and Z77 with Ivy Bridge is mainstream. IVB-E chips will be released later this year and are suppose to work on existing X79 motherboards.
While it won't exactly be DOA the "mainstream quads first" strategy taken with SB and IB combined with the fact that afaict most games still aren't using more than four cores definately takes away a lot of the appeal of the high end platform.

While it won't exactly be DOA the "mainstream quads first" strategy taken with SB and IB combined with the fact that afaict most games still aren't using more than four cores definately takes away a lot of the appeal of the high end platform.

If the gap were 2 or 3 months it would be ok but the fact that its around 10 months really does make the 2011 socket less desirable.

If the gap were 2 or 3 months it would be ok but the fact that its around 10 months really does make the 2011 socket less desirable.

Yeah, I agree 100%. I don't understand this strategy at all.

Yeah, I agree 100%. I don't understand this strategy at all.

it makes more sense if you know what intel does about performance increases. despite intel being on a hot streak right now, things are slowing down. socket 2011 could outlive the early haswell stuff because said haswell stuff may not even have a workstation/server version... or it might not be faster than ivb-e... it might just have more cores and less power... etc...

look what x79 is replacing... x58 is old and still in the top-top-top of performance...

I cannot wait to upgrade, going from Core i7 920 C0 stepping to Ivy Bridge 3770K. :D

Same, my 920 D0 has been needing an upgrade for some time. It's served me well for the last 3 years but it's time for a whole new rig. I am ready to drop 2 grand on a new rig in April.

I cannot wait to upgrade, going from Core i7 920 C0 stepping to Ivy Bridge 3770K. :D

YOU cant wait? I<<< cant wait...iv got a Q9550. This will be a HUGE upgrade for me, a 3770K along with my first SSD, being used as the OS drive...my mind will be blown i predict.

Btw, why would they test it (3770K) against a 2600K? Not a 2700K? Or are they so close to identical that it doesnt matter?

YOU cant wait? I<<< cant wait...iv got a Q9550. This will be a HUGE upgrade for me, a 3770K along with my first SSD, being used as the OS drive...my mind will be blown i predict.

Btw, why would they test it (3770K) against a 2600K? Not a 2700K? Or are they so close to identical that it doesnt matter?

Pretty much the only difference between the 2600k and the 2700k is the stock clocks. Everyone knows that overclocking is pretty much a crapshoot as to how far you can overclock on SB, although your chances are somewhat better with the 2700k.

So would this reach double the abilities of a Phenom II X4 965? That's when I plan to finally upgrade :p

So would this reach double the abilities of a Phenom II X4 965? That's when I plan to finally upgrade :p

Not quite, that will be next generation stuff after Ivy Bridge at the rate Intel is going ;)

I'll probably sit out the IB tick and wait for Haswell in 2013. Might grab a 2600K once the prices bottom out after IB ships.

Back