• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ivy bridge chipset C20X replacements?

halcyon

Gawd
Joined
Mar 20, 2003
Messages
717
Has anyone read anything about what might be replacing the C20X chipsets when Ivy Bridge comes out? I've read about the Q77/75 chipsets that seem to be for 'businesses' but its not clear if those are the replacements or not. I'm also wondering if they are adding anything significant worth waiting for.. mostly I'm interested in saving some power and a 22nm chipset and CPU hopefully should have a lower idle (and slightly lower TDP).
 
All of this stuff is still under wraps.

What I might suggest is looking at Intel's C200 launch last year where we basically got the P67, Q67 and etc chip sets in server skin. Even the latest SB-E X79 Intel drivers say C600 chipset on them.

How badly do you need PCIe 3.0 btw?
 
Not really bad at all, I'm more interested in any possible power savings and any redesigns of existing motherboards to have more PCIe slots. I thought I had read the chipsets would be providing more PCIe lanes somehwere, is there any indication of this?

Also do we expect the E3 v2 Xeons to launch at the same time as Desktop Ivy Bridge?
 
I thought I had read the chipsets would be providing more PCIe lanes somehwere, is there any indication of this?

I do not think this is possible without changing the socket and adding more pins. However remember that IB will support PCIe 3.0 which will double the speed of PCIe 2.X although I do not see that helping until devices will run at the new PCIe 3.0 speeds..
 
Well Ivy Bridge will have a die shrink and those new fancy-pants 3D transistor thingies. So the opportunity for power savings is there. How much of that Intel parlays into lower power or uses it to up clocks / graphics is yet to be seen I think. IIRC the "leaked" info indicated that they'll be upping clocks a little bit and trying to push the graphics a lot more.
 
Back
Top