I've got to ask, should I buy this Xbox 360?

Dan UCF

[H]ard|Gawd
Friend at work wants to sell me the following:

Xbox 360 Premium
Wireless adapter
Intercooler
2nd controller
quick charge station with 3 batteries
Project Gotham Racing
and something Force G flight sim style game.

He wants $300. Selling it because he never has time to play it between work, and spending time with his baby and wife. It has hardly any play time logged on it. Good deal?

Is it still covered under warranty? I would toss the intercooler but the wireless adapter, extra controller, quick charge station and the games make this a pretty good deal imo.

sounds like a great deal.. snap it up as long as it works. sell it on ebay for 400 if you don't want it.

Snap it up, just don't use that f***ing Intercooler. Buy a Pelican fan stand if you're worried about cooling. Or rig your own setup.

It's a great deal for the price alone, check out the condition of the 360 though before you think of committing to the deal.

Also, all the included accessories is definitely a plus, except for a couple useless ones already mentioned here.

If it was used by a friend, in a near pristine condition, and he's selling it for 100 below retail + tossing all his accesories? I would.

If you compare retail on these items:

Xbox 360 Premium - $400
Wireless adapter - $100
Intercooler - worthless
2nd controller - $50 (I'm assuming it's wireless)
quick charge station with 3 batteries - $25 + $24 for the two extra batteries
Project Gotham Racing and something Force G flight sim style game. - $100-ish

$400 + $100 + $50 + $49 + $100-ish = ~$700. Thanks for shopping today, your total savings is $400. Check the mfg date on the console label to see if it's still under warranty (you get a year). If it's not, that's not necessarily a deal breaker but you should at least ask him if you can play it for a bit to make sure everything works fine (DVD spins and reads, HDD works, no red ring of death, etc.). If it's under warranty and everything is in good shape, you're stealing it for 300 bucks.

Ok I'm pretty sure I'll be picking it up, he purchased it around august I believe so roughly 4 months left of warranty I'm guessing. He has all receipts for everything, and he takes emaculate care of his electronics.

I'm also curious, why is the intercooler worthless? Does it destroy the fan thats already within the Xbox by sucking more air out or what?

Ok I'm pretty sure I'll be picking it up, he purchased it around august I believe so roughly 4 months left of warranty I'm guessing. He has all receipts for everything, and he takes emaculate care of his electronics.

I'm also curious, why is the intercooler worthless? Does it destroy the fan thats already within the Xbox by sucking more air out or what?

It can melt and adhere itself to the back of your XBOX. If you try to send it in for warranty work that way, MS will reject it.

You can pick up a Pelican fan stand at any Gamestop for $15. It plugs into the USB port and leaves no marks on the 360 if it was to break under warranty. The only downside to it is that you have to play your 360 vertical. IMO, that's a good thing because the bottom of the 360 gets scorching hot when you play it horizontally. Just my opinion.

It can melt and adhere itself to the back of your XBOX.

Not to mention the Intercooler plugs directly into the back of the 360, which means it's diverting some of the power that's intended for the console and using it for three screaming loud fans (they remind me of Deltas without the whine). All kinds of bad things can happen with that. You won't necessarily need a fan if you don't have the console in a cabinet, but it does get pretty hot so extra (non-Intercooler) cooling never hurts. If you don't want like the Pelican stand fan you can always use an AC cabinet fan (like this). Hook it up to a rheostat if you want to control the noise.

With the money you're saving, buy the extended warranty. You should still be able to get it from MS easily since it's still under the original warranty.

Personally, I think you should stay away from this deal and wait for the 360 with the 65nm die process.Then you definitely would not have the need for the intercooler,Pelican cooler etc etc , not to mention you would also have a quieter drive,By purchasing a new 360, you will be using the default 1 year warranty opposed to a used 360 which only has 4 months left?

Everyone talks about the 65nm dies as if that will solve the 360's heat problems. Everything I've ever read about the xbox's heat problem stems from the proximity of the dvd drive and the GPU. The processor doesn't overheat your box.

And when exactly will these 65nm 360's come out??? No confirmed date, not even a hint. For all we know microsoft will never release a 360 with a 65nm die. The Elite doesn't have it so what makes you think it'll be in 360's any time soon. Microsoft won't add another sku so fast just after the Elite.

Usenet is your friend

"Xbox 360 game console on 65nm at Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing
will be pushed back until the middle of 2007, at least one quarter
behind the original schedule."

Usenet is your friend

"Xbox 360 game console on 65nm at Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing
will be pushed back until the middle of 2007, at least one quarter
behind the original schedule."

And that's production. Street on those consoles is close to year-end. I couldn't wait.

And that's production. Street on those consoles is close to year-end. I couldn't wait.

Correct, on a side note it looks like the Elite's will be using the same drives as the current 360's. Which can be bad or good depending how you look at it.

Back