I've got the Win2k and WinXP Pro CDs... can't choose :(

Elledan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2010
In short, I'm upgrading my main system, which requires me to reinstall the OS, and I happen to have both the Win2k and WinXP Pro installation CDs.

So far I've been running Win2k Pro exclusively on all of my systems (only my brother's system on the LAN runs WinXP Pro), and I've found it to be adequate for my needs, which include:

- programming/compiling C/C++, Java, PHP, Python, etc.
- running Apache, mySQL as well as other databases for development purposes.
- streaming large files over the LAN.
- watching video, listening to music.
- general browsing.

The system in question has the following specifications (after the upgrade):

- Sempron 2500+ (Socket 462/A)
- Asus A7V880
- 512 MB RAM
- Matrox G550 (dual-head config with two 17" displays)
- Hitachi 80 GB HDD
- Hitachi 250 GB HDD (SATA)
- Samsung 120 GB HDD

I use the onboard NIC and sound.

What do I stand to lose/gain from upgrading to WinXP Pro?

generally, I default over to Windows 2000. However, I've noticed more and more that the subtle differences between the Windows 2000 and Windows XP driver model that newer hardware is not being as well supported under Win2k as WinXP.

I also have to give WinXP the nod since you're using dual-head display. Multi-monitor rigs are much easier and straightforward to configure under WinXP since it handles the process natively.

At the end of the day, if you don't care about the themes and you don't want all of the extra processes running around, use Win2k. If you want to make sure you're using the latest and most up-to-date Microsoft OS, then go XP.

svet-am said:
generally, I default over to Windows 2000. However, I've noticed more and more that the subtle differences between the Windows 2000 and Windows XP driver model that newer hardware is not being as well supported under Win2k as WinXP.
Any particular examples?

I also have to give WinXP the nod since you're using dual-head display. Multi-monitor rigs are much easier and straightforward to configure under WinXP since it handles the process natively.
I must admit that I occasionally do notice some minor glitches due to the dual-monitor configuration, such as the IME (Japanese) input bar existing on both displays simultaneously, but only functioning on one display, requiring some careful clicking to restoring things. Does WinXP handle this more gracefully?

At the end of the day, if you don't care about the themes and you don't want all of the extra processes running around, use Win2k. If you want to make sure you're using the latest and most up-to-date Microsoft OS, then go XP.
Just when you had me nearly convinced to go with WinXP you've to throw in this :p

I like themes, but only if they don't add bloat to the OS. I'll definitely have to revert to the 'Classic' skin or I'd go crazy within a day. Not certain whether themes use a significant amount of resources.

Services can be disabled (I don't need System Restore, or whatever MSFT calls it, for example), so that wouldn't really be a problem either. I already disable around 3 - 5 services in Win2k, anyway.

Damn, I think I just convinced myself to go with WinXP ^_^

Just use XP. It's worth learning the additional features, and there really isn't any significant down side.

I'm in the same boat, running 2k, but I'm about to need to reload and I'm going to put XP on the box.

Flip a coin

:D :D :D

There is very little reason to choose one over the other, I use both on different machines and other than eye candy (which I turn off anyway) there are very little differences.

Its not like you are choosing from 98 and ME. :D

Stoly said:
Its not like you are choosing from 98 and ME. :D
I still have a soft spot for Win98 SE ^_^

Alright, I'll just give WinXP a try, and if I end up hating it, I'll blame you guys for making me install it :D

Phoenix86 said:
It's not my fault you forgot to edit that out. :D
I thought you guys were stupi^H^H^H^H^Hhonest enough to not take such precautions ^_-

Anyway, I'll be rebuilding this system tomorrow, so please pray to those pesky PC gods tonight that everything will go fine :)

Small update:

Today I upgraded to WinXP with relative success. I had numerous small issues which I seem to have largely fixed right now, such as excessive high CPU-usage when transferring data from a HDD in USB enclosure (to the point where one display wasn't updated or something like that...), as well as WinXP refusing to properly detect the trackball (Logitech Trackman Wheel) when connected to the PS/2 port. Not being able to use the wheel to scroll through pages is a PITA :(

Also, configuring Eastern language support is a far worse pain than any of the aforementioned issues. The /i386/lang folder was missing on the (slipstreamed) CD I have, so I had to borrow another CD which did have the required files, but things still aren't working the way they should, with applications like Winamp still refusing to properly display non-Western filenames and such :(

In other words, WinXP sucks at least as much as Win2k does, only each in its own, special way ^_-

I already fixed the language issue. All it took was another reboot :p

I'm slightly happier now ^_^

Back