I've entered the realm of the crackberry. Bought a bold.

sharkapult

Limp Gawd
And damn am I impressed with it.

It was down to an iPhone or the Bold, but in the end, support for microSDHCs and a lack of requiring iTunes won out.

The biggest surprise has to be the speakers. I'm very impressed with the multimedia functions of it; so much so that I'm getting rid of my iPod Nano 3rd Gen. Amazingly enough, this puts out better sound than my Netbook, which I find to be quite sad.

However, there is one area where I'm thinking I might have been better off looking at a WinMo based system: software.

Where can I find some good applications, preferably FREE, for the BlackBerry? My brother has a Verizon 88xx (I think; it might be a Curve), and suggested Opera Mini, which I downloaded, and Googlemaps. I can't seem to figure out how to get GoogleMaps to work with my GPS though, and appears to just come up as a website; I thought it would be an application.
Are there any better media apps that will support more file types, or is the integrated good enough? I haven't had a chance to test this out, as I sold off my microSD to a friend, and the 8gb won't be here until Tuesday.

Are there any must have applications I should be looking for?

Try the shop section of crackberry.com. They list free apps on the site and I'd also check their forums and ask them.

be careful with it, a lot of people get them to be more productive and to have more FREE time, but exactly the opposite happens. You get really attached to it and takes over your entire life and you end up checking it every 5 min.

Lol. I didn't buy a Storm to be more productive. I just think its cool as shit. (Coming from a Gen 2 LG Chocolate)

Beyond411 is a great little free app. Pretty much the yellow pages but integrated so you can pull up a map, get directions, or add to contacts.

Dopewars is one of the free apps I have on my phone. Good little game to pass the time.

In the past I use to use beamberry(now BeamSuite) to open attachments but the new phones have better support built in thats to documents to go.

Back