I've done my browsing...now I want professional opinions

Jabroni31169

My Future Son-in-Law
So im thinking of jumping into watercooling. I've been running strictly air since I got into computers and its done well for me so far. Im looking to cool everything (ie: CPU, Chipset, Video). From what I see alot of people cool the cpu last?? What is the best way? Right now my peak temps on my 3.0c at 3.75 are only 51C which isnt too bad in my opnion. Will watercooling help out alot or just a little??? What is the matenance for a typical water cooling setup?

I know it looks like I did not read a thing in this forum but im very curious about this thing. Im looking to keep this whole project within $400 to $500 bucks including a new case. I'll be cooling a 3.0c and a BFG 6800Ultra OC. Need opnions from you smart guys with all the fancy water stuffs. Thanks!!

So im thinking of jumping into watercooling. I've been running strictly air since I got into computers and its done well for me so far. Im looking to cool everything (ie: CPU, Chipset, Video). From what I see alot of people cool the cpu last?? What is the best way? Right now my peak temps on my 3.0c at 3.75 are only 51C which isnt too bad in my opnion. Will watercooling help out alot or just a little??? What is the matenance for a typical water cooling setup?

I know it looks like I did not read a thing in this forum but im very curious about this thing. Im looking to keep this whole project within $400 to $500 bucks including a new case. I'll be cooling a 3.0c and a BFG 6800Ultra OC. Need opnions from you smart guys with all the fancy water stuffs. Thanks!!

First, keep reading all the threads in this water cooling thread you can, you'll find all the answers you'll ever need.

Best way is that which leads to the least amount of tubing. Normally goes Pump --> Heatercore --> CPU ---> GPU ---> Pump or Pump ---> CPU ---> GPU ---> Heatercore ---> Pump,

I'm not sure what air cooling your using right now, so its hard to say how much better wc will be. It is safe to say though that the CPU temp is normally 7-15C higher then ambient with watercooling, so compare that to your current CPU/ambient delta (ambient is like mobo temp).

There is very little maintenance in a watercooling loop. once you have done the initial work of researching, purchasing, measuring and cutting tubing, putting the system together and leak testing (which is all really very easy, not very time consuming, and kinda fun ... esp for those of us that aren't known for our handyman skills) all that is needed is to refill the loop about once every 6 months to a year. Technically you can actually leave the water longer (years), but for the sake of performance and the feeling of security changing the water is a reasonable idea. Its not hard to do either, just drain ... and refill, its especially easy with a res.

$400-$500 is WAY more then enough to cover a case and watercooling. You can get a premium watercooling setup for just under $200 (and by premium I mean the absolute best of every component).

I would tell you what components to get .. but i've already done so in about 10 other threads in the last 2 weeks ... so if you are reading these threads like you claim, then im sure you've already read my (and other peoples rebuttals to my) suggestions. Otherwise, good luck, and if you have any more specific questions feel free to ask, we are always here to help.

HiTech

uhm where the hell are you shopping then bud? lol

i've already laid out the cost of pretty much undisputed kings (I didnt use the silver TDX block, which yes admitedly would add a signifigant amount to the price, like $70 more or so) of each part in another thread and the total cost was like $177 I think. The pumps I used were Eheim 1250 and the Hydor one, I did leave the GPU block out of the equation but I highly doubt that a pump and block alone could top $200, someones making a pretty penny off you if you're paying that kind of money for a block and pump.

The DD 6800 Block is 124$ But it could be possible if you went and shopped around finding lowest price item sure... i was talking in general : )

But if you want the very BEST either aquacomputer parts from sntsystems or probally dangerden's d4 12v pump + their waterblocks + a reservoir either bay ( people complain about hassels with them ) or a standup one the bigger the reservoir the less turbulance you should have and also the more room for the water to expand as its heater for a radiator you could get dangerdens premade rads or a DIY job with a heatercore like explained above people think thats better but it all really depends on what you want and how much you want to spend / how much room you have in the case

thats an insane price for the 6800 block omg, I never considered it to be so much. Thats the same price as the 99.9% silver TDX block, exept this one is all copper. I don't understand how it can be so much.

Heh, yeah, the 6800 block is insanely expensive. It's what turned me away from water cooling my GPU until later down the road. 100+ is better spent on RAM or something than a GPU block.

Yea...that danger den block is pretty insane pricewise. Aqua Computer has a pretty slick one that is a bit cheaper. I like the look of all there stuff....very clean and simple. Does there stuff perform well??

Jabroni31169 said:
Yea...that danger den block is pretty insane pricewise. Aqua Computer has a pretty slick one that is a bit cheaper. I like the look of all there stuff....very clean and simple. Does there stuff perform well??

I'm running their Silver Cuplex CPU waterblock in my system right now, I should've had you come look at it at QC. Or actually, I was sitting with Dan from Snt-systems, who had a full a-c system in his computer .... pretty slick rig.

I have some pics of mine in the aqua computer thread .... I just ran a Prime95 torture test after I finally got the shroud installed... and my idle was 40... ambient is 36C...and my load averaged 43C... maxed out at 45. This is not overclocked...yet. But given that the spread is reduced so much since I installed it, I'm hoping to get a pretty decent overclock. THe rest of my system consists of an eheim 1250, and a chevette heatercore, and homemade res. So it's not exactly a pure German low-flow Aqua computer setup, but it still performs pretty well. And yes, I use 3/8" tubing- tygon.

When I was on air cooling, my temps were 43-45 idle, and 55-58 load. So I'm happy.

Aquacomputer doesn't give you the lowest temps but if you want a really nice and sleek looking pc go ahead and go with them because they're the best the blocks are just amazing and to be honest everyone who has aquacomputer wc setups only have a few degrees C higher then the highflow american setups you see (dangerden, swiftech, etc)

German lowflow - 70-90 GPH
American Highflow - 300+ GPH

Big differences in flowrate but in temperture its only a few degrees, a really good example of how well a aquacomputer setup works would be fallguy's pc which is very nice

Only real downfall it'd see with using aquacomputer would be it'd more than likely require a case mod and if you don't wanna do that then well .. dangerden would probally be the way to go but you can't use a aquacomputer block with dangerden etc unless the tubing is all the same size .. because normally swiftech and dangerden have 1/2" setups whereas aquacomputer uses 3/8" tubing (tygon is the best but a bit pricey)

And by mod i mean you'd probally have to cut holes on the top for the radiator unless you have a big case you could possiably fit it below :/

Goodluck, hope it helped

Back