I've decided on the the Xp90, help me a pick a silent fan please...

dragontales

Limp Gawd
I am going to buy the Thermalright xp90 heatsink base on this forum and otherpositive reviews, but I still need a fan. Can anyone recommend me the most silent fan out there? I am not into overclocking. I just want as silent as possible. Thanks.

question, if the xp-90 is designed for a 92mm fan, why isn't it called the xp-92?

I suppose they round for aesthetic reasons.

Or people can't handle the rigors of knowing fan sizes that are not multiples of 10.

Well, I'm wondering the same thing, but currently my plan is to run a Delta 92mm fan I've got at 7V.

templarknightx said:
Most silent, get the Nexus 92mm fan.
Ditto. Yate Loon manufactures Nexus fans, so if you can find a low-rpm sleeve-bearing model, you could probably get away with one of those. Vantec Stealths are anything but quiet compared to Nexus fans. I would avoid SilenX also, as they tend to be just too expensive and overhyped.

Dr X said:
question, if the xp-90 is designed for a 92mm fan, why isn't it called the xp-92?

Why is it when we have our processors running at 2.59ghz, we just say its 2.6ghz?

It's just easier :p

_Korruption_ said:
Ditto. Yate Loon manufactures Nexus fans, so if you can find a low-rpm sleeve-bearing model, you could probably get away with one of those. Vantec Stealths are anything but quiet compared to Nexus fans. I would avoid SilenX also, as they tend to be just too expensive and overhyped.

Only the 120mm version is a Yate-Loon, the 92mm version is not.

How decent in terms of cooling and noise are the Panaflo 92 L1A's?

I'm also seriously considering the XP-90 and like many, aren't sure which fan offers the best cooling to noise ratio.

akwok said:
Only the 120mm version is a Yate-Loon, the 92mm version is not.
Hm, good to know. Thanks.

Momental said:
How decent in terms of cooling and noise are the Panaflo 92 L1A's?
27dBA. My 92mm Panaflo M1A is inaudible over my case fans. I love it. I just regret not having an RPM output.

I use a Thermaltake SmartFan 92mm on mine and I slow it down to 1100rpm.. can't hear it at all and it still keeps my CPU in the 30's.

TheGamerZ said:
I use a Thermaltake SmartFan 92mm on mine and I slow it down to 1100rpm.. can't hear it at all and it still keeps my CPU in the 30's.

Hi,

Sorry I am a newbie at HSF, but how do you go about slowing down the fan? What else do I have to buy, install, or use?

poke around at silentpcreview.com everything you could ever hope for is there.

I got hooked with silencing though , so be careful :p

I use a 92mm Thermaltake Silent Cat. It sits on top of my Pipe 101 cooler. I have the revs around 1150 and its cool and quiet. My AMD 64 never gets above 40 celsius and thats under load. :D Always remember that airflow is king.

Okay I have finally decided and place a order at jab-tech for my new toys. I ordered:

Thermalright Xp-90
Nexus Real Silent 92mm fan
Zalman Fan Mate II
AS5

I can't wait until my parts come in so that I can finally have some silence. Do you guys think these are good combos?

Okay Jab-tech messed up and shipped me the 80mm nexus fan instead othe the 92mm fan. So right now I am using the 92mm fan that comes with the xp-90 and slowed it down with the fan mate II. Surprisingly, that stock fan is very quiet. I might just keep that 80mm fan and use it as a case fan. But overall I am very pleased with the thermalright product.

Even a Vantec tornado 92mm is quite if you run it a 3.0V - 3.2 V and it puts out a surprising volume of air as it is still rotating at ~1300 rpm. The control circuit for this fan is really simple. I use a 600 ohm resistor, 2k pot, lm350 power transistor /w heatsink and an optional .1 uf ceramic capacitor and 1 uf capacitor. This allows me to vary rpms between 1300 rpm and 4200rpm. This gives you the option to get loud if you want to OC.

Muad"Dib" said:
I use a 92mm Thermaltake Silent Cat. It sits on top of my Pipe 101 cooler. I have the revs around 1150 and its cool and quiet. My AMD 64 never gets above 40 celsius and thats under load. :D Always remember that airflow is king.

i use the same fan on my xp-90 and even at full speed its quiet

Autochthon said:
Even a Vantec tornado 92mm is quite if you run it a 3.0V - 3.2 V and it puts out a surprising volume of air as it is still rotating at ~1300 rpm.
But at lower speeds, the Tornado's dual ball-bearing design makes itself apparent. They are naturally noisier than their sleeve-bearing counterparts, but should last longer.

_Korruption_ said:
But at lower speeds, the Tornado's dual ball-bearing design makes itself apparent. They are naturally noisier than their sleeve-bearing counterparts, but should last longer.

I won't argue with that but in my experience at those speeds you can't hear either. In my case the PSU fan if by far the loudest fan in the system. I should get my new system on thursday evening I have the vantec and a dead quiet (even at 12v) sleeve model. I'll experiment a bit and see which fan/rpm combo give the best cooling to quiet ratio and post my experiences. I'll have to rely on subjective experience as I have no way to measure absolute sound levels :(.

how could would a Termaltake SilentCat fan on an xp90 , its got more cfm and less noise than the panflow apparently

Simpson5774 said:
how could would a Termaltake SilentCat fan on an xp90 , its got more cfm and less noise than the panflow apparently
Apparently.

I would not believe any of Thermaltake's noise output ratings, neither should anybody else.

Back