• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ITX + Large Heatsink questions!

iRaiden

Gawd
Joined
Apr 30, 2011
Messages
800
So looking to visit the opposite end of the extreme spectrum considering that right now I have a Switch 810 with an XL ATX motherboard.

Looking to move into a Bitfenix Prodigy. A few questions arise, however.

I currently have a Corsair H100 and also a Phanteks PH-TC14PE. I'd prefer to use this Phanteks cooler but I've also seen issues with not being able to fit a graphics card (I have a GTX 780) into the PCI slot due to clearance issues with larger heatsinks.


Also, what color prodigy should I get? xD

Boards I'm currently looking at:

P8Z77-I Deluxe: http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-P8Z77-I-...e=UTF8&qid=1375145540&sr=8-1&keywords=p8z77-i

Asrock Z87E-ITX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157374&Tpk=asrock z87 itx

I'll get either a 3570k/3770k if I go Z77 or a 4670k/4770k if I go Z87. Recommendations are gladly accepted. I'd love to hear the pros (if there are any) of Z87 over Z77.


Thanks guys. ^_^
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Prodigy is not the opposite end of the extreme spectrum, it's kind of at the edge of the middle ;-)

That Asus Z77 board should fit most coolers fine due to it's socket placement. Not sure about that particular one though.
 
Well if you actually wanted to go the opposite end of the spectrum you wouldn't be looking at the prodigy. AFAIK it is the largest itx case out there with the exception of that ridiculous caselabs ITX case. It can fit an matx board with some modding actually. But with that rant out of the way...

This website says that they used that particular cooler during it's testing so I would assume it would work. But they never showed any pictures. I would guess that this cooler would not fit on the Z87E-ITX due to its odd CPU placement. Between those two boards I would wait for the asus z87 itx boards to come out because I have not heard great things about the asrock, yet.
 
The Asrock one will have issues with a lot of air coolers paired with a discrete graphics card, last I checked.

I'm currently using a Noctua NH-D14 on a P8Z77-I Deluxe. The Asus one is the safest bet due to the board layout.
 
The Asrock one will have issues with a lot of air coolers paired with a discrete graphics card, last I checked.

I'm currently using a Noctua NH-D14 on a P8Z77-I Deluxe. The Asus one is the safest bet due to the board layout.

The Z87 Version has the CPU socket moved to the top ;)
Now the GPU isn't the problem with large heatsinks, but rather the case limits your choice.
 
The Z87 Version has the CPU socket moved to the top ;)
Now the GPU isn't the problem with large heatsinks, but rather the case limits your choice.
Just like the Z87E-ITX, it too has the CPU socket placed higher.
This is important because even offset CPU heatsinks won't fit in low-tolerance cases like the Ncase M1, where there is only about 10mm between the edge of the motherboard and the case itself.
 
Back
Top