iTunes startup problems

Mnx4

[H]ard|Gawd
When I startup iTunes, I get this:

iTunes has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

And i'm forced to close the program. I had read on another forum that a simple reinstallation of quicktime/itunes would do the trick, but it's still not workin for me. I had an older version of itunes (5 maybe) and I just tried installing version 7. Any Ideas?

ok actually, is there another program similar to itunes where i can add songs to my ipod and add playlists? still not workin...

Mnx4 said:
ok actually, is there another program similar to itunes where i can add songs to my ipod and add playlists? still not workin...
Anapod Explorer.

the problem seems to be with apple quicktime for some weird reason. I've read that itunes needs quicktime in order to run, so i've tried reinstalling quicktime. That hasn't worked.
I've tried uninstalling quicktime, but I get "fatal error during installation" before it even starts to remove quicktime. I used Windows installer cleanup utility (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301) and was able to reinstall it and it still doesn't work. Also, after installing quicktime, I can't get quicktime to run. I haven't tried using a movie file to run or whatever.
Any ideas at all?

Alright, along the lines of the problem is with quicktime, currently, quicktime is uninstalled and off my computer. however, if I try to install a fresh version of quicktime, I get the message that a newer version is on my computer. I can't find quicktime in the add/remove programs panel, and there is no uninstall quicktime in the start menu.

Mnx4 said:
Alright, along the lines of the problem is with quicktime, currently, quicktime is uninstalled and off my computer. however, if I try to install a fresh version of quicktime, I get the message that a newer version is on my computer. I can't find quicktime in the add/remove programs panel, and there is no uninstall quicktime in the start menu.

Uninstall everything apple. Everything. Then clean your registry (that is, if your comfortable with doing that sort of thing...theres a few programs out there to do it for you if you like)...then download the latest copy of itunes+quicktime...install it....see if that all works.

did that, used jv16 power tools, deleted the file folder in c:\program files. when i try to install quicktime, it says that a newer version is installed and aborts the installation. However, i get notices from trillian and the quicktime website that it's not properly installed on my computer. also, I can't get yamipod to work as an alternative.

Mnx4 said:
did that, used jv16 power tools, deleted the file folder in c:\program files. when i try to install quicktime, it says that a newer version is installed and aborts the installation. However, i get notices from trillian and the quicktime website that it's not properly installed on my computer. also, I can't get yamipod to work as an alternative.
Clean your registry. run- regedit. Then search quicktime. Delete all instances. Search itunes, delete all instances. (make sure its uninstalled first). That should do it.

alright, got rid of both on the comp, but when i search regedit for quicktime, i'll find something, but when i hit delete, i get an "Error deleting key." I've also cleaned with jv16 powertools, searched through that, and used the cleaning utilities. Still, when i try to install quicktime, it says a newer version is installed. I've deleted everything (i can) quicktime and itunes related, but nothing yet.

Ooooooook. now it works. Apparently some files were hiding from the first 15 times i searched for quicktime in windows explorer. Whatever.

Thanks for the help.

Mnx4 said:
Ooooooook. now it works. Apparently some files were hiding from the first 15 times i searched for quicktime in windows explorer. Whatever.

Thanks for the help.
Good to hear u got it workin.

Back