iTunes quick question

Modred189

Can't Read the OP
I'm not an iTunes user for the most part (I have 2 Zune HDs as my pmps) but work makes me use an iPhone, so I periodically put music on it. However, I am having some trouble getting iTunes to recognize that there is new music in my music folder. What I know:

- I have iTunes pointed to my Music folder as my Music Library.
- iTunes currently has all of my music that is in that folder showing in iTunes.

What I did:
- I downloaded several (legal!!!) mp3s that I want to put on my iPhone.
- I dropped the downloaded mp3s into my music folder, plug in my iPhone and start iTunes.
- I sync my iPhone.

The songs that I just dropped into the music folder are not synced to my iphone. In fact, they are not listed within itunes. So I restart iTunes... no dice. The only way for me to get iTunes to recognize these files is to go to the File menu and select "Add File to Library."
It will then sync to my iPhone.

This happens probably 3/5 times, the other two being no problem; the sing adds to the iTunes library automatically and then syncs with no issues.

WHat am I doing wrong?
(And for completeness' sake my computer:
Samsung Chronos 7
Windows 8
Core i7, 8gb ram, GT640m
Newest version of iTunes and iPhone software. All Windows updates. )

Instead of dropping the files into the music folder, drop them directly into the iTunes program. iTunes will recognize them immediately and add the tracks to your music folder and your music library.

Ah. So... it will copy the files to my Music folder for me in the process?

Ah. So... it will copy the files to my Music folder for me in the process?

Yes, if you have the setting that does that enabled (it's on by default). Check under "Advanced" in Preferences to verify.

Thank you!
It's still frustrating that iTunes does not keep its library up to date, but that solves the problem.

You can also drop them in the "Automatically Add to iTunes" directory within your iTunes folder and iTunes will add them to your library and move them to where they need to go.

You can also drop them in the "Automatically Add to iTunes" directory within your iTunes folder and iTunes will add them to your library and move them to where they need to go.

That is what I was doing before, and it just wasn't doing it.

Back