• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

iTunes Incompatible With Vista?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
If you are an iPod owner that uses iTunes, Apple is currently recommending that you do not upgrade to Vista. A lot of people are reporting that music purchased on iTunes doesn’t work on Vista so I tried it out myself. Sure enough, the music will not work. Apple says they’ll fix it “in the next few weeks.”

iTunes 7.0.2 may work with Windows Vista on many typical PCs. Apple recommends, however, that customers wait to upgrade Windows until after the next release of iTunes which will be available in the next few weeks. This document will be updated as more information becomes available.
 
And now I'm wondering if we will see the same battlecrys against Apple as we've seen over the Nvidia graphics drivers issues. Something along the lines of:

"I paid a significant amount of money for my iPod and I expect world class support. It's not like Vista was a huge surprise. They had many months to be prepared for this launch but they dropped the ball."

or

"Wow, I'm sure glad I read these forums before I made my purchase of a new iPod. With lousy support like this it seriously makes me reconsider my purchase. I guess I'm going to go out and buy a Zune instead."

;)
 
"Wow, I'm sure glad I read these forums before I made my purchase of a new iPod. With lousy support like this it seriously makes me reconsider my purchase. I guess I'm going to go out and buy a Zune instead.";)

That is an incredibly good point. You would think, or at least I would, that Apple would have considered this. As DesertCat said, it's not like Vista, or the Zune for that matter, were some kind of big surprise...

That's a pretty big blunder on their part, and I would think that Apple would be busting their ass to get this problem fixed.

And, I wonder what happened. I ran all the Vista beta's with iTunes and had no problems, and at least 50% of my music was purchased from iTunes.
 
Hehe, apple doesn't want you to upgrade to vista, go figure. Meh, I'll still go ahead with vista on my wifes computer, I'm sure she can live with it for the time being. Man and apple really seems on the ball latley (sarcasm) :D
 
It is entirely possible Microsoft did something to make ITunes crap out without being blatantly obvious about it.. Then again, Apple may have screwed up. In any case, neither Apple nor Microsoft are ethical companies imo.
 
It is entirely possible Microsoft did something to make ITunes crap out without being blatantly obvious about it.. Then again, Apple may have screwed up. In any case, neither Apple nor Microsoft are ethical companies imo.


I think that with Microsoft's past record and the past consequences that they have paid for doing such activities would stop them from doing this again. Also, they risk impeding their vista sales as many users have ipods.

I'm pretty sure it's all on apple. If you think about it, many small programs that used to work on XP does not work on Vista right now... this might just be one of them.


But yes it's possible, but that would be playing Russian roulette. I'm just suprised that no one tested this in the apple department.
 
Nah I'm prettyr sure MS didn't do anything to apple themselves but just the way things work in vista. There is some program I have and the said somethign weird... I can't remember I think they said that they had to change where and how the wrote their logs so it would work on vista.

I assume that in the comming months we will here stories like this trickle in. Makes me wonder do these companies either bother signing up and pretesting software, however I think it will be like but not as bad as when 2000 was released.

Side note, I still belive 2000 was a business only OS and was slowly turned into a home/business capable system.
 
Wow! This is funny. Two major companies (Nvidia and Itunes(Apple)) aren't ready for the 'latest and greatest' from Microsoft. Sweet. If they aren't excited about it...well, then how can I be? I personally have not seen anything with Vista that would make me decide to upgrade.

That was the most pathetic os launch I've seen. It's really sad and laughable at the same time.
 
my itunes works just fine :/ (including purchased music)

I'm using creative's beta vista drivers for my audigy and itunes 7.0.2.16
 
I wouldn't at all be suprised if this was some sort of ploy by Apple to stop some people from upgrading to Vista.
 
I dont know which has the potential to be worst....Itunes or Vista....its like choosing between eating a bowl of sh!t or a bowl of piss
 
Wow! This is funny. Two major companies (Nvidia and Itunes(Apple)) aren't ready for the 'latest and greatest' from Microsoft. Sweet. If they aren't excited about it...well, then how can I be? I personally have not seen anything with Vista that would make me decide to upgrade.

That was the most pathetic os launch I've seen. It's really sad and laughable at the same time.

You tell me what software company is excited to write tons of code for an operating system that they don't get a cut from for their existing product line?

I find it laughable that you blame Microsoft for this as if Nvidia and Apple were their sister companies. You do know that Vista was availible as a development kit long before it's release right? You do realize that their competition produced working drivers right? You do realize that Vista was long availible as a beta and was also months ago released for businesses.
 
I dont know which has the potential to be worst....Itunes or Vista....its like choosing between eating a bowl of sh!t or a bowl of piss

I am gonna pick the piss (vista). At least I won’t die from eColi (that is standard on the eMacs now isn’t it?):D

LOL, this is what people get for wasting their money on iTunes!!! If they had just pirated their music or gotten it from allofmp3.com, they wouldn't be having any issues right now.
Yet another reason why DRM just adds one more thing that could break. (not that this is the fault of DRM, but that is why people are using iTunes in the first place).
 
iTunes is working just fine for me as well, can you say overblown, inaccurate news?

Now, how about vista wanting to chkdsk my ipod everytime I connect it, is that apple's problem as well?

Everyone mentioning Nvidia, don't forget about HP.

ps. I am also running a 6800gt with no problems now (vista beta media center was strobing on it before this version)
 
New patch was just released to fix this problem.

It's called XP

Vista...me laugh
 
I'm running Vista and have iTunes installed. I purchased an ep of 24 earlier this week and it worked just fine. I also imported all my previously purchased shows and they also work great.
 
iTunes is working just fine for me as well, can you say overblown, inaccurate news?

Now, how about vista wanting to chkdsk my ipod everytime I connect it, is that apple's problem as well?

Everyone mentioning Nvidia, don't forget about HP.

ps. I am also running a 6800gt with no problems now (vista beta media center was strobing on it before this version)
Yeah if I was to be mad at anyone regarding vista software or drivers, it would be HP. They strait out refuse to make drivers for newer products that came out the last two years.
 
New patch was just released to fix this problem.

It's called XP

Vista...me laugh


State your reasons as to why XP is so superior to vista? :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure you have none other than saying it lacks support in the drivers area.
 
State your reasons as to why XP is so superior to vista? :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure you have none other than saying it lacks support in the drivers area.

Ok

1. The XP is working perfectly.
2. Lets do that again because it was so good. XP is working perfectly.
3. I didn't have to spend money on Vista...yet
4. All of my hardware works on XP
5. I don't have fiddle with learning to use a new OS (sorry...I don't enjoy that part)

Don't get me wrong. I'd like Vista to be a good OS because eventually I may have to upgrade to it. In the mean time, there is absolutely no compelling reason for me to spend money on an OS that doesn't offer anything over XP. That's especially true when the OS that I'm using now is functioning P-E-R-F-E-C-T-L-Y. Ok, so Vista has pretty blinking lights and stuff has been moved around. That's great but I'll marvel at the beauty of it when a SP is released.

I'm pleased that you're enjoying your new OS but I think it's important to make distinctions between "different" from "superior".
 
Ok

1. The XP is working perfectly.
2. Lets do that again because it was so good. XP is working perfectly.
3. I didn't have to spend money on Vista...yet
4. All of my hardware works on XP
5. I don't have fiddle with learning to use a new OS (sorry...I don't enjoy that part)

Don't get me wrong. I'd like Vista to be a good OS because eventually I may have to upgrade to it. In the mean time, there is absolutely no compelling reason for me to spend money on an OS that doesn't offer anything over XP. That's especially true when the OS that I'm using now is functioning P-E-R-F-E-C-T-L-Y. Ok, so Vista has pretty blinking lights and stuff has been moved around. That's great but I'll marvel at the beauty of it when a SP is released.

I'm pleased that you're enjoying your new OS but I think it's important to make distinctions between "different" from "superior".

Well if those are your reasons, why are you not running Windows 98?
 
Ok

1. The XP is working perfectly.
2. XP is working perfectly.

I'm pleased that you're enjoying your new OS but I think it's important to make distinctions between "different" from "superior".

Let's also define 'perfectly' while we're at it. XP is now a dead-end and Vista will only improve. You can't expect MS to release an OS in its "perfect" state. XP's release was the same way. Now that Vista is available for purchase, bugs will be reported and squashed, features added/tweaked, etc., and Vista will become "perfect" as XP is now.

Not that XP is perfect. To me, a perfect OS would require no AV, spyware, or optimization tools, nor would I ever have nagware reminding me to download/install updates and then ask/force me to reboot.

Don't brush Vista aside because it's an infant.
 
Let's also define 'perfectly' while we're at it. XP is now a dead-end and Vista will only improve. You can't expect MS to release an OS in its "perfect" state. XP's release was the same way. Now that Vista is available for purchase, bugs will be reported and squashed, features added/tweaked, etc., and Vista will become "perfect" as XP is now.

Not that XP is perfect. To me, a perfect OS would require no AV, spyware, or optimization tools, nor would I ever have nagware reminding me to download/install updates and then ask/force me to reboot.

Don't brush Vista aside because it's an infant.

I didn't move to XP until the SP1 was released (so long W2K) and I've been happy with it ever since. I'll move to Vista after it matures...but not now.

I didn't mean to imply that XP was a perfect. It's just that it is functioning perfectly and I'm not interested in mucking it up with a Vista install...just yet.
 
Yes...I'm not gonna upgrade my OS because of a stupid media player. Where is my copy of winamp......
 
Well if those are your reasons, why are you not running Windows 98?

Funny you should mention that. I've got an old beater P800 in my garage that I use to play music while I'm futzing around. It's got W98 on it. Works like a champ! I don't play games her but she plays tunes and surfs the net as well as anything else.

I upgraded to W2K (from 98) mainly for NTFS, superior networking capabilities and better USB support to name a few things.
 
And now I'm wondering if we will see the same battlecrys against Apple as we've seen over the Nvidia graphics drivers issues. Something along the lines of:

"I paid a significant amount of money for my iPod and I expect world class support. It's not like Vista was a huge surprise. They had many months to be prepared for this launch but they dropped the ball."

or

"Wow, I'm sure glad I read these forums before I made my purchase of a new iPod. With lousy support like this it seriously makes me reconsider my purchase. I guess I'm going to go out and buy a Zune instead."

;)

Did your iPod box have a "Vista Ready" sticker on it?

Does Apple's iTunes website say "iTunes/iPod: Essential for the best Vista Experience"?

Apple promised nothing regarding Vista compatibility at time of OS-release. As such, we have no reason to be upset with them. Your argument ignores the real reason to be upset if you're an nVidia owner and someone who wants to run Vista --nVidia told its customers what to expect, and is still telling them that (ostensibly through marketing on their website) when they haven't delivered it yet.
 
iTunes is a POS and Vista is an almost POS. You would think it would be a match made in heaven.

I cause a POS would know what another POS was though and not be fooled into that relationship.

diddly doop
 
P.S. (since I can't edit posts) It's not that I plan to upgrade to Vista any time soon. I just have a firm belief that you shouldn't make a promise you can't keep.
 
iTunes is a POS and Vista is an almost POS. You would think it would be a match made in heaven.

I cause a POS would know what another POS was though and not be fooled into that relationship.

diddly doop

Absolutely useless and incomprehensible post.



Apple will get around to getting iTunes to comply with Vista. Sure, they should've had it ready. Are you surprised that they didn't though? Here's Microsoft, a big rival to Apple, and you think Apple is going to be on time with a Vista-compatible iTunes?

Microsoft releases Vista, which is a gigantic event. Apple, meanwhile, hasn't had much of a big bang for awhile. Obviously Microsoft is due in for something big, so Apple thinks, "Hey, let's hold off on complying with Vista and try to get PC users with iPods and such to hesitate on upgrading. Then we'll possibly hinder Vista's grand opening sales numbers."

Just have a little patience.
 
Absolutely useless and incomprehensible post.



Apple will get around to getting iTunes to comply with Vista. Sure, they should've had it ready. Are you surprised that they didn't though? Here's Microsoft, a big rival to Apple, and you think Apple is going to be on time with a Vista-compatible iTunes?

Microsoft releases Vista, which is a gigantic event. Apple, meanwhile, hasn't had much of a big bang for awhile. Obviously Microsoft is due in for something big, so Apple thinks, "Hey, let's hold off on complying with Vista and try to get PC users with iPods and such to hesitate on upgrading. Then we'll possibly hinder Vista's grand opening sales numbers."

Just have a little patience.

their only big bang was the iphone...which isnt even really a big bang. we all knew it was coming. and it doesnt even have 3G ffs.
 
Ok

1. The XP is working perfectly.
2. Lets do that again because it was so good. XP is working perfectly.
3. I didn't have to spend money on Vista...yet
4. All of my hardware works on XP
5. I don't have fiddle with learning to use a new OS (sorry...I don't enjoy that part)

Don't get me wrong. I'd like Vista to be a good OS because eventually I may have to upgrade to it. In the mean time, there is absolutely no compelling reason for me to spend money on an OS that doesn't offer anything over XP. That's especially true when the OS that I'm using now is functioning P-E-R-F-E-C-T-L-Y. Ok, so Vista has pretty blinking lights and stuff has been moved around. That's great but I'll marvel at the beauty of it when a SP is released.

I'm pleased that you're enjoying your new OS but I think it's important to make distinctions between "different" from "superior".

1. Just like 98 was? Just like 2000 was? Why aren't you on them?
2. Define perfectly in contrast to vista?
3. This is the MAIN reason for the vista hate.
4. And it wont on Vista? Don't think that they are not going to support existing hardware..
5. Ahh another personal reason.

There is a compelling reason right now, to learn.
 
5. Ahh another personal reason.

Yeah. Spending one's money on something tends to be pretty personal. Or do you want him to buy it because many other people are, and are willing to learn a new OS?
 
Yeah. Spending one's money on something tends to be pretty personal. Or do you want him to buy it because many other people are, and are willing to learn a new OS?

I think you need to look for your prescriptions.

He said:
5. I don't have fiddle with learning to use a new OS (sorry...I don't enjoy that part)

I said:
5. Ahh another personal reason.


I'm curious, where do you get "Spending one's money on something tends to be pretty personal. Or do you want him to buy it because many other people are, and are willing to learn a new OS?" from out of that? :rolleyes:


And before you get too excited, remember you were on my side of the fence for most of this on this subject.
 
He said:
5. I don't have fiddle with learning to use a new OS (sorry...I don't enjoy that part)

I said:
5. Ahh another personal reason.

I'm curious, where do you get "Spending one's money on something tends to be pretty personal. Or do you want him to buy it because many other people are, and are willing to learn a new OS?" from out of that? :rolleyes:

::clears throat::

I was indicating how silly it was for you to call him out for stating a personal reason for not wanting to get Vista yet. As in, NO SHIT it's a personal reason. What other kind of reasons should go into one's decision to get Vista? Ask some random person on the streets, "Hey, should I get Vista?"

I'm sorry you don't seem to pick up on implications. I tend to trust my audiences a bit more than I should. Spending money is personal, right? You stand in an aisle looking at something, and you have to mull it over in your head. "Do I need it? Can I use it? Will it be good for me?" These are personal reasons. He has every right to base his choice to hold off on Vista because of personal reasons. He said one of his reasons for not getting Vista is because he doesn't feel like learning a new OS. And to learn a new OS, he'd have to buy Vista. Get the implication now?



And I find it quite ironic how you go from this:

I think you need to look for your prescriptions.

To this:

And before you get too excited, remember you were on my side of the fence for most of this on this subject.

As if you're expecting me to play nice when you start out by saying I should be on meds.



Also, don't make this a personal reason to hate me even more. This wasn't about sides. If you're gonna hold it against him for using a personal reason to keep XP for awhile, you ought to state what kind of reasons are acceptable.
 
The gist of this was that Vista offers nothing over an updated copy of XP. This is not only my observation but it's the general consensus amongst the web sites that reviewed the software.

When I feel I need :)rolleyes: ok...WANT) a 64 bit OS and the ability to run DX10 games and when compatibility issues have been resolved, I might upgrade to Vista and all the necessary hardware. Personally, those are compelling reasons for me to upgrade.

Until then, I'll pass on the pretty new skin.
 
::clears throat::

I was indicating how silly it was for you to call him out for stating a personal reason for not wanting to get Vista yet. As in, NO SHIT it's a personal reason. What other kind of reasons should go into one's decision to get Vista? Ask some random person on the streets, "Hey, should I get Vista?".


Okay, perhaps you want to read the entire thread.


He stated:


"New patch was just released to fix this problem.

It's called XP

Vista...me laugh"


He's bashing vista right out and open mocking it as if it was a shitty os.


So when I dug deeper on him, the truth really was a personal intimidation and financial issue, not a flaw in the OS. This tends to be the main reason as to why people shun vista and mock it.
 
He's bashing vista right out and open mocking it as if it was a shitty os.

So when I dug deeper on him, the truth really was a personal intimidation and financial issue, not a flaw in the OS. This tends to be the main reason as to why people shun vista and mock it.

How do you think opinions form?

And maybe you missed this from earlier:

Apple will get around to getting iTunes to comply with Vista. Sure, they should've had it ready. Are you surprised that they didn't though? Here's Microsoft, a big rival to Apple, and you think Apple is going to be on time with a Vista-compatible iTunes?

Microsoft releases Vista, which is a gigantic event. Apple, meanwhile, hasn't had much of a big bang for awhile. Obviously Microsoft is due in for something big, so Apple thinks, "Hey, let's hold off on complying with Vista and try to get PC users with iPods and such to hesitate on upgrading. Then we'll possibly hinder Vista's grand opening sales numbers."

Just have a little patience.

You could say this was directed at him for naively shunning Vista so early. It's rather ignorant on his part, yes, but you can't say he's wrong because he gives personal reasons not to want Vista. Go to the other end of the street and there's you, buying Vista for personal reasons.
 
Back
Top