Itunes - i need to merge a backup with a current iphone

CodyP

n00b
I have a friend that needs to backup his old 3gs with his new iphone 4 but the problem is he has already downloaded new songs and taken new pics with the iphone 4, so I can't just restore the backup of his old 3gs without overwritting everything?

Is there some way I can just merge the mp3's and pics from the 3gs with the iphone 4 without overwritting everything?

Im less concerned with getting the old apps across but that would be nice too, I am mainly concerned with getting his mp3's and pics all on the iphone 4 without messing up his current mp3's/pics on the iphone 4.

If you just want to get mp3's and pics onto his device, then your best and easiest solution is from a third party.

The other way to do it would be to restore his old 3gs, then pull the stuff he wants from it into iTunes, then sync all of it to his iPhone 4. There isn't any way to restore the backup to his iPhone 4 without wiping the device.

Basically, you need to backup all of his songs and pictures outside of iTunes (not using the internal backup) and then resync his iPhone 4. The only thing he'll lose is having all of his pictures in the camera roll...instead they'll be in their own folders (and can't be erased from the phone).

He'll be able to download any apps he's bought for free so long as it's the same iTunes account.

I recommend against restoring from a 3Gs backup because there are reported problems with battery drain and other miscellaneous issues.

try to use iFunBox-it shows your iPhone file system. Or if you need to do it with official program, you can watch here how to do it.

Back