iTunes Fail: Cannot read the contents of iPod

pcgeek86

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I use Media Monkey to copy music to my iPod Touch 3G 64GB. I opened iTunes, on two separate computers, to update the iTouch to iOS 4, and I keep getting the message saying:

iTunes cannot read the contents of iPod "iPod touch." Go to the Summary tab in iPod preferences and click Restore to restore this iPod to factory settings.

Does anyone have ideas on how I can resolve this problem? I'm not really interested in wiping my device and restoring it again, as that is a huge waste of time. Google has not yielded any solutions to this problem, but tons of reports of it.

Cheers,
Trevor

Edit: FYI, I have not jailbroken the device, or made any weird modifications to it. I just use it for applications, music, and videos. I have also used CopyTrans Manager to copy video files to it, in addition to Media Monkey for music.

Edit #2: Also, I have successfully updated my iPhone 3GS 16GB to iOS 4, and both of the computers I use iTunes on recognized it just fine. The iPod Touch is the only device I have a problem with.

Edit #3: I am running iTunes 9.2 (also had problem with iTunes 9.1) on Windows 7 64-bit. This goes for both computers I was attempting to connect the iTouch to.

Last edited:
Back