• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

ITT Tech

I'll jump into the foray, why not.........

I am almost done with a joint MBA/MSIT degree, meaning I will earn both an MBA and a Master of Science in Information Technology from the University of San Diego. I started in the summer of 05 and have been going full-time ever since.

USD closed down the MSIT program because it wasn't being run right, so I have been scrambling to field the required courses I need at SDSU.

Anyhow, my experience thus far is that everything I learned is strictly wavetop level. While I do want a management position in IT, perhaps CIO eventually, my degree hasn't been very technical. So I may have to supplement my degrees with some certifications I suppose. The problem is, there is no set roadmap to becoming a CIO.
 
I'm 24 now and I graduated from ITT with a AA degree in 2004 then transferred to AIU (Another "well known" private technical university) and graduated there December 2005. I'm currently working at a small company that has me doing everything from networking to programming. It is not a high level job, but i do get to run queries to fix things in the database with SQL and troubleshoot network problems. My biggest project for the company so far is to integrate a new software with their current database and the program that handles their orders. I didn't expect a 40k/yr job right out of school, because i didn't have the experience or certifications to prove my worth out there. I'm concentrating on building up my skills now and not money. In the past, I've only been troubleshooting and building computers for friends and family and it has been a hobby for me i've gotten very good at it. I'm now torn between programming and networking. I have to find what i want to go with for my next job.

ITT Tech started with a lot of bookwork and didn't offer our classes the "hands-on" experience like it had advertised at first. No laptops included in the program and their computer equipments were quite out of date during that time. I do remember they were telling us how the IT job market is dying during the time out there and that was bad news on top of everything else. We even had FBI in black vehicles come to my ITT and investigated their files for something which I never got know what happened. Everything that happened just made me feel like i was ripped off. After my whole class that i've been attending the program with complained enough, they finally brought in some old Cisco routers and switches and we got to configure them. That was the best thing that happened to us, because i did learn something from ITT but it wasn't enough. I won't be coming back for my BS degree here thats for sure and thats when i looked into AIU for my BS since my credits are only good at certain universities.

AIU really taught me skills that i can use for different fields, programming, web design, networking. They had programs that were more established to aim towards the tools and skills you need to get a job in the IT field. It was a well rounded package. There were still some improvements the school can still use of course. Overall, i had better experience here than ITT. At first i was aiming for strictly networking, but after completing classes in ASP .NET e-commerce, application developement, and SQL, it opened up other opportunities for me. I was hooked on programming, but i couldn't leave networking. During my education there i did find that troubleshooting network or even ordinary PC problems my programming skills does help to translate what the errors tell me.

The biggest downfall, transferring to another private institute to continue my education is more expensive than to continue in the same school for my BS degree :(.
 
ikuto what is AIU? I think I might take the same route that you took, I am going to finish with my associates degree and then transfer to another school. But at my ITT we actually have brand new computers, which is surprising.
 
AIU = American Intercontinental University. The ITT Tech i attended "started" to upgrade their equipment 2 quarters before i left. Installing a Network OS took forever on those old computers, we had a mix of different brands of computers with different specs. They weren't those nice Dell's with LCDs, i already found out other schools had better equipment during my time there and other schools were teaching what we should concentrate on. While Novell was good thing to know how to install and setup, most companies weren't using it anymore. They have moved on to Linux/Windows NT/2000 Server a while ago. Even the professor admit to that and they knew that this ITT had major problems. The books were pretty bad from NIIT filled with grammar, improper instructions, and typo mistakes. Later i found out that is because they were produced in India so i've heard from a professor. Before i graduated, they revamped the whole IT program. I'm not saying ITT is bad, just the one at this location screwed up because my whole class felt the same thing and some students somehow got by with passing grades that were just as clueless as the first day or don't even come to class often.
 
Back
Top