It's Official - Barcelona to Debut in August!

EternityZX9

Limp Gawd
Sunnyvale, Calif. -- June 29, 2007 --Continuing to lead the shift of mainstream enterprise computing to energy-efficient processors, AMD (NYSE:AMD) announced today that Quad-Core AMD Opteron™ processors, code-named “Barcelona,” are planned for shipment in both standard and low power versions at launch later this summer. This would be the first time AMD has made both standard and low power parts immediately available as part of a new processor launch.

Additionally, AMD today updated its projected timing on “Barcelona” availability and provided additional product details. AMD expects that the processors will begin shipping for revenue in August 2007, with systems from AMD platform partners beginning to ship in September 2007. Due to its enhanced architecture – it is the world’s first x86 CPU to integrate four processing cores on a single die of silicon – Quad-Core AMD Opteron™ processors can deliver significant performance and performance-per-watt enhancements over existing processor architectures yet are designed to be backwards compatible with existing AMD Opteron platforms.

With planned availability at launch in a range of frequencies up to 2.0 Ghz, AMD expects its native quad-core processors to scale to higher frequencies in Q407 in both standard and SE (Special Edition) versions. Designed to operate within the same thermal envelopes as current generation AMD Opteron processors, AMD estimates that the new processors can provide a performance increase up to 70 percent on certain database applications and up to 40 percent on certain floating point applications, with subsequent higher frequency processors expected to significantly add to this performance advantage.

“More than ever before, customers are expecting energy-efficiency and performance-per-watt leadership as much as absolute performance. With this new reality of computing, greater performance at the expense of greater power consumption is no longer an option,” said Randy Allen, corporate vice president, Server and Workstation Division at AMD. “AMD has prioritized production of our low power and standard power products because our customers and ecosystem demand it, and we firmly believe that the introduction of our native Quad-Core AMD Opteron processor will deliver on the promise of the highest levels of performance-per-watt the industry has ever seen.”

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~118193,00.html

Bring on the benches!!! :D

Meh the speed worries me. Only up to 2ghz at launch is not a good sign :( .

Slightly off topic any other amd fans amazed by the fact that amd and ati's next gen offerings have had problems reaching their expected speeds ... I for one am just shocked that both have had trouble scaling their processors despite the fact neither company had an effect on the others products yet. I can't help but feel like this is a bad omen for things to come.

There is a good reason why ATi's board approved the buy-out. There is also a good reason why AMD needed to buy ATi...

Make sense? Wait for the next gen then you'll see what I mean.

AMD claims Barcelona @ 2.0GHz will beat the Xeon 5300 @ 2.66GHz (~25% higher IPC). I can't wait to see if this comes true; if so, barcelona will become a monster as AMD starts to scale the clock up over the second half of the year.

This would be the first time AMD has made both standard and low power parts immediately available as part of a new processor launch.........AMD has prioritized production of our low power and standard power products because our customers and ecosystem demand it, and we firmly believe that the introduction of our native Quad-Core AMD Opteron processor will deliver on the promise of the highest levels of performance-per-watt the industry has ever seen.”

Sounds like the marketing dept at AMDati are trying to spin the fact that they are having speed ramping issues,and that the chips will ship at only border line competitive speeds to Intels low end C2D (standard),and entry level chips (low power). :(

I guess anything can be put into a positive light if you have the right spin doctors working for you.

if amd can beat a xeon @ 2.66 at only 2GHz I will be very impressed. I'm willing to bet the first cores won't scale all that well, however once they get better revisions I'm willing to bet they will take off (hopefully reminiscent of the TBRED-B era ;) )

It should at least beat Q6600 to be sucessful.

On price and performance and have lower heat output.All three or at least two of the three,or it wouldnt be a win in my book.So it (the 2Ghz models)better cost no more then 266 USD come launch,and have TDP of less then 105 or 95 watts scaled for a 2Ghz chip
so say maybe.... 87 watts for a quad.

Sigh.

I'll be honest here. As much as I want to believe, I don't believe it will best Q6600 in anything but perhaps price.

I have always preferred AMD processors, but I have to say the whole bruhaha surrounding the R600 release has soured me on their press releases/rumors. "Top to bottom launch", "Best drivers in the industry" etc. has made me wary. I *hope* it is true, because I want AMD to release some good processors, but I *doubt* it will be anything spectacular.

They have a lot to answer for the BS they spread over the R600 launch before I'm listening to any more rumors that come from the AMD/ATI camp. TBH, if a consumer such as myself on this forum is saying so, you know their partners are saying this, too. They desperately need to get their act together and stop the over-enthusiastic, over-promising PR train they have been on lately.

Of course, if it really does kick ass and take names, well, I'll forgive them immediately :p

AMD claims Barcelona @ 2.0GHz will beat the Xeon 5300 @ 2.66GHz (~25% higher IPC). I can't wait to see if this comes true; if so, barcelona will become a monster as AMD starts to scale the clock up over the second half of the year.

wow, I really want one now. If AMD says its awesome it must be, right? Of course I was so over hyped for the r600 I don't think I can stand to see a poor launch of the k10(or whatever they call it). Of course even if it does suck i think I will buy one for the simple fact that the motherboards cost less, and because I am a stupid fan boy who cant stray from the herd.:(

wow, I really want one now. If AMD says its awesome it must be, right? Of course I was so over hyped for the r600 I don't think I can stand to see a poor launch of the k10(or whatever they call it). Of course even if it does suck i think I will buy one for the simple fact that the motherboards cost less, and because I am a stupid fan boy who cant stray from the herd.:(

I don't think AMD's competitors could have paid anyone to screw them any worse than they screwed themselves with the R600 hype, overhype, and ultimately, anti-climactic mess they made of that (lack of a) release.

Even those that were previously fans I think got enough of that - I know I certainly did. They need to shut up, deliver, fire their PR/Viral Marketing team, and shoot some of the management staff, IMHO because they all ended up just looking silly.

There is a good reason why ATi's board approved the buy-out. There is also a good reason why AMD needed to buy ATi...

Make sense? Wait for the next gen then you'll see what I mean.

I know very well why amd bought ati. The only thing that worries me is if they will get fusion out before intel can get their version out. Its painfully obvious at how fast intel is trying to progress with ,nehalem 8 core, integrated memory controller and some will have a GPU integrated, by the end of 08 early 09. If amd contiunes having bad luck getting their stuff out on time intel will demolish them and thats not something I want to see.

I have dual f sockets all I need is a couple of thousand and I will probably run the best damn AMD machine :p

El Reg said:
Exclusive Intel looks set to blunt AMD's August Barcelona processor release by handing customers a 2.0GHz version of its four-core Clovertown, The Register has learned.

Impressive, but since Barcelona is a server chip at first, we can all bet our bottoms that Intel's counter is also aimed at servers only. Then again, I'd love to get my hands on a dual-quad system for cheap.

Link please.

LOL uh oh... hope it isn't actually AMD making these claims or else they have to fire anyone doing math for them :eek:
You guys never add anything to the discussion. All you know how to do is thread crap, flame and bash. Why is this so clear? You didn't even read my post. If you had, you would see a "~" in front of 25%. Guess what that means? It means, "about" 25%. Go back to school, or better yet, don't bash people if you can't even be troubled to read their posts.

Further, if you bothered to read my only post in this thread, you would see me say, "IF this is true". Followed by a call for actuall benchmarks. Again, WTF? Why is it that all the members on this forum can't do anything but thread crap and flame? My post was filled with the correct qualifiers, and also filled with calls for actual benchmarks upon product release. If calling for actual data is being a fanb0i, then I don't think words can adequately describe your horrible behavior.

You claimed AMD said 2GHz K10 will beat X5355. With no specification, you are implying it is beating the Xeon in general. Link please.

You guys never add anything to the discussion. All you know how to do is thread crap, flame and bash. Why is this so clear? You didn't even read my post. If you had, you would see a "~" in front of 25%. Guess what that means? It means, "about" 25%. Go back to school, or better yet, don't bash people if you can't even be troubled to read their posts.

Further, if you bothered to read my only post in this thread, you would see me say, "IF this is true". Followed by a call for actuall benchmarks. Again, WTF? Why is it that all the members on this forum can't do anything but thread crap and flame? My post was filled with the correct qualifiers, and also filled with calls for actual benchmarks upon product release. If calling for actual data is being a fanb0i, then I don't think words can adequately describe your horrible behavior.

This thread is nothing. The biggest Intel fan-bo_s are over at XS, crapping over the official Barcelona thread.

It's sad that another release is here, and still no TF2...

On a more topic-friendly note, I'm interested to see what these processors can do in a server environment. Not sure if at 2.0GHz what these will do with the C2D/Q crowds, but it will be nice to see other than canned memory benchmarks...

Old military proverb: Hurry up and wait... and wait.........

Still waiting......

Waiting....

Link please.

I don't think he can link you to his imagination....;)

LMAO Exactly. Even if a link was produced, do we really want another "Level505" ?

Seriously, visaris, I think most of the AMD fans have waited long enough, and heard enough claims that it is really time to show us the money. I could say it is rumored that I'm going to make 2 million dollars in the next half an hour, but without any data as to how I expect to arrive at that result, it sounds like.... yeah.

and ~25% more instructions per clock would be nice, but not highly probable...so once again, this isn't a thread crap it is a request to back up this claim. I *want* it to be true, just like I'd like to get that 2 million dollars, but without some data to validate the claim, it is as scientific as tossing pennies in the wishing well.

LMAO Exactly. Even if a link was produced, do we really want another "Level505" ?

Seriously, visaris, I think most of the AMD fans have waited long enough, and heard enough claims that it is really time to show us the money. I could say it is rumored that I'm going to make 2 million dollars in the next half an hour, but without any data as to how I expect to arrive at that result, it sounds like.... yeah.

and ~25% more instructions per clock would be nice, but not highly probable...so once again, this isn't a thread crap it is a request to back up this claim. I *want* it to be true, just like I'd like to get that 2 million dollars, but without some data to validate the claim, it is as scientific as tossing pennies in the wishing well.

And so is yours.You dont have any evidence that it is not true. As a matter of fact it is common knowledgs that AMD has already claimed 40% improvement. 25% is really, really, very, very conservative. You should thank him for being realistic. In the mean time he has evidence you do not.

All I hear from you is "I want!!!! I want!!!! I WANT!!!!!!!!!" In the real world that'll get you nothing real quick.

And so is yours.You dont have any evidence that it is not true.

You don't have any evidence that it is true. (Articles from the Inq, press statements from AMD, and anonymous tips from little-known sites do not count.)

All I hear from you is "I want!!!! I want!!!! I WANT!!!!!!!!!" In the real world that'll get you nothing real quick.

I think that after all the BS that AMD fans have been through, they have every right to be screaming for AMD to show them the money.

You don't have any evidence that it is true. (Articles from the Inq, press statements from AMD, and anonymous tips from little-known sites do not count.)

I think that after all the BS that AMD fans have been through, they have every right to be screaming for AMD to show them the money.

Whining and crying about it aint gonna make it better. As a matter of fact it is only going to make it worse. The only thing any of us can do is wait until launch. Anybody making one claim or the other is wrong until then. The fact is AMD said summer, August is summer. At this point that is all we have. Deal with it and unbunch your panties. Pull them outta your crack and wait for two more months. Then we'll know for sure.

So if they ship aug 31, we should see some numbers around that day? Would it be possible these chips will be for sale individually at this time, or are they shipping to oem partners only and won't see light of day until they are sold as severs in late sep / early oct?

Bleh. As much of an AMD fan as I am, I stopped caring about Barcelona after the schedule kept slipping on EVERYTHING.

AMD hasn't introduced anything on-time in the last year.

65nm Athlon 64s were late and disappointing: you get a small improvement in clock speed and power consumption, but in-turn you get a small reduction in performance due to high-latency cache.

R600 was REALLY late, and a relative failure when you consider just how much money went into it.

Barcelona has slipped several times, in the release date, clock speed AND performance categories. The best part is, AMD is pulling a fast one regarding availability at the release date, releasing to servers first and leaving enthusiasts waiting for months.

Now, to distract the press, AMD is talking bullshit about their panacea, a new mobile core that is simply a tweaked Turion X2. They somehow think they can compete purely on efficiency, when Intel already has a whole line of low-voltage Core 2 Duos with power consumption under 20w. Havn't they been paying attention the last five years, while Transmetta went out of the CPU business, and Via made only tiny CPU market gains? For most people, performance sells!

I've been waiting the whole year for AMD to do something RIGHT, and I'm still here waiting. Now, I'm just contemplating how long they will take before they IMPLODE due to their own incompetence.

Havn't they been paying attention the last five years, while Transmetta went out of the CPU business, and Via made only tiny CPU market gains? For most people, performance sells!

I agree with pretty much all of your post except I have to make a note about this statement. Sure, performance sells.. but most people buying computers know very little about actual performance. Transmeta went under, and VIA underperformed because of a variety of other factors other than the performance of their chips.....

Bleh. As much of an AMD fan as I am, I stopped caring about Barcelona after the schedule kept slipping on EVERYTHING.

65nm Athlon 64s were late and disappointing: you get a small improvement in clock speed and power consumption, but in-turn you get a small reduction in performance due to high-latency cache.

R600 was REALLY late, and a relative failure when you consider just how much money went into it.

Barcelona has slipped several times, in the release date, clock speed AND performance categories. The best part is, AMD is pulling a fast one regarding availability at the release date, releasing to servers first and leaving enthusiasts waiting for months.

Now, to distract the press, AMD is talking bullshit about their panacea, a new mobile core that is simply a tweaked Turion X2. They somehow think they can compete purely on efficiency, when Intel already has a whole line of low-voltage Core 2 Duos with power consumption under 20w. Havn't they been paying attention the last five years, while Transmetta went out of the CPU business, and Via made only tiny CPU market gains? For most people, performance sells!

I've been waiting the whole year for AMD to do something RIGHT, and I'm still here waiting. Now, I'm just contemplating how long they will take before they IMPLODE due to their own incompetence.

Excellent post !! :)

Geez, can everyone just hold their horses until actual real benchmarks are out?

im not as negative as you about it, but i tend to agree, AMD hasnt put their money where there mouth is on pretty much anything lately.

and as for the "new" mobile cpu, pah, thats about as dissapointing as it gets, take a K8 and add some powersaving features and presto... If they keep going that way on the mobile front, i fully expect that in the future celeron based laptops will be far more interesting then anything amd can put out

but as i said, i want to see price info, even if barcelona ends up slower then a q6600, as long as the price propperly reflects that, i might be interested

great if true. i'll certainly wait for the benchmarks in august before passing a decision. If it does not deliver I'll go xeon 53xx. simple as that.

meh, my 2.8Ghz X2 is doing just great. I can wait easily till end of 2008 for an inexpensive Phenom X4 to pop in.

Back