It's Now Been Over 160 Days Since a Catalyst WHQL Release

Do we need a driver unless something disastrous has happened?

I'm reading about crashing/lockups for NVIDIA owners with new drivers on the Witcher 3. Likewise what of diminished performance for the previous generation owners vs the GTX 9XX cards?

My R9 285 is flying along happily on the 15.4.1 beta drivers.

I much prefer this yearly stable driver idea - with the fixes/improvements being retained in this "omega core".

As the long as the hotfixes keep coming for the high profile titles; not a lot that can be done against Gameworks & certain agreements...

Knocking out a sub-par driver each month and paying the money-spinner WHQL fee is such a waste.

I suppose in the (ideal?) world the only difference would be the efficiency of the hardware. With it's promise of "being close to the metal" DX 12 will likely either improve things or melt everyone's card with developer incompetence =D

I liked it when AMD didn't update the driver that often and released a monthly CAP which contained all the optimizations you needed for newer games.

I remember in the past Nvidia users arguing that beta drivers were better because it meant Nvidia was willing to give users what they want when they wanted it.
It used to be that waiting for WHQL was pointless and AMD was stupid for doing it.
Good to see that we all have goldfish memories here.

I remember in the past Nvidia users arguing that beta drivers were better because it meant Nvidia was willing to give users what they want when they wanted it.
It used to be that waiting for WHQL was pointless and AMD was stupid for doing it.
Good to see that we all have goldfish memories here.

That's the part that gets me. People never cared about WHQL drivers on the NVIDIA side and no one really cared about this for years. Now all of the sudden its important that AMD release WHQL shit regularly?

how exactly is this topic derailing another thread?

Last edited:
I liked it when AMD didn't update the driver that often and released a monthly CAP which contained all the optimizations you needed for newer games.

Yeah CAP was the way to go not sure what has happened that required such an amount of code revision for it to become useless so fast.

Ehh, nope...

WHQL 14.12 Omega
Beta 15.3, 15.4, 15.4.1.

Ignoring the Windows 10 releases.
AMD skipped Jan+Feb, but we've had 1 per month always before that... 3 in November (14.11.2).

Ok, thats not as bad as I thought. I remember Nvidia going something like 5 months without so much as a beta a couple of years back.

What if i told you that crossfire freesync+ whql drivers +what ever fancy stuff AMD has planned will be shown/ released when AMD unveil or release their titan x slayer. Stop thinking in the box think out of the box my friend.

The denial is strong with this one. Close your eyes real tight and keep hoping! Maybe releasing a new card will magically bring back all the fired driver team employees. Or at least channel their spirits.

I think that's more than sufficient provided there aren't any major problems with these drivers. I haven't run an AMD video card in some time so I can't speak to the quality of those drivers but I'm more than satisfied with that schedule. Its a vast improvement over AMD's "once in a blue moon" schedule. :D

No major complaints on their driver quality from me. I've used AMD cards off and on for years, especially in the last few years. In my opinion the general quality of their drivers since they've abandoned the forced WHQL per month idea has only gotten better. AMD still has work to do but at least I'm not wishing for AMD to fire it's entire driver team and start from scratch anymore.

Don't know if somebody has already posted this but, didn't AMD say they were moving to yearly WHQL drivers with betas in between?

Don't know if somebody has already posted this but, didn't AMD say they were moving to yearly WHQL drivers with betas in between?

No. They said they are doing a yearly Omega driver. They never said only one WHQL per year. The actual quote was posted a few pages back.

Back