Its getting hot hot hot...

bob

2[H]4U
So im driving home from work, 9:40pm. Windows down, 20mph, nice 55F outside. Pull into my driveway, go through the yard, walk up my stairs, open my door... It hit me like a brick in the face.

for those who think im full of BS - Pics

55 outside, 110 inside. I dont open my windows because I get tired of hearing my neighbors screaming and fighting during the day, and dogs at night barking/ricers burning out.

Since its not going to stay 55 outside very long, and I hate airconditioning with a passion, im looking for some kind of fan controller. Ive seen them on cases. Ive looked around on newegg and google, Not really sure what I should be looking for.

I need something that can vary the speed of at least two seperate fans (or two seperate channels, I should say), and have a halfway accurate way of measuring the temperature and adjusting the fans. Looking to spend no more than $30.00. It will run probably two or four 120MM fans to pump air through insulated ducting (about 5 feet) from outside, so I dont have to sit here as if I were on a vacation near the equator.

Can anyone reccomend some kind of fan controller? Could really use one, my starbursts are about ready to melt (Along with my plastic chair, and possibly my GPU).

Get an AC, I don't care if you hate it... If you cannot cool your house and then these little two 120mm case fans will not make a big of difference. Sorry, go out and buy a portable small AC unit and put it in the room that you are using the system in. Best luck to ya.

Lame to hate AC, since heat costs more and if you dont use AC in the summertime I dont care how good your cooling is, your temps will skyrocket from your 90f ambient room temps. Turn the damn ac on.

I take it you live alone lol. Get an ac window unit before you die of a heat stroke.

Jon855 said:
Get an AC, I don't care if you hate it... If you cannot cool your house and then these little two 120mm case fans will not make a big of difference.
No one ever said anything about trying to cool a house with "little two 120mm case fans".

wee96 said:
Lame to hate AC, since heat costs more and if you dont use AC in the summertime I dont care how good your cooling is, your temps will skyrocket from your 90f ambient room temps. Turn the damn ac on.
they are already on, and its a waste of money and energy. "Since heat costs more"... ?

matt00926 said:
I take it you live alone lol. Get an ac window unit before you die of a heat stroke.

No, im not here alone. Already have two window units (13k BTU total) and they dont cut the mustard.

Thanks all, for not answering my question and making assumptions.

This is all in a small room seperate from the house, you actually think one computer can make an entire house 60F+ higher than the outside temperature alone?

Anyways, I should've clarified. Im building a sealed rackmount cabinet for all of the computer crap, and I needed a fan controller for that. It makes more sense to pump the heat out of a rackmount cabinet outside, than to dump it in the house and get $1500 worth of airconditioners.

Ill ask again. Can anyone recomend some kind of fan controller?

you came here, didn't esplain your situation well at all, and got answers based on your first postage.

no need to feel like you did, you got answers based soley on that post.

yes, to answer your question, you can exhaust all that heat rather nicely through ducts, and a fan controller can be added in a spare 5.25 bay, although one would have to assume that running the fans full blast all the time is the answer, fan controller be damned............

however, if you want to control the fans, just make sure the fan controller is capable of running the 120's, IE, if you plan on using a HO delta, you may want to reostat it separately...

your room will show a signiicant drop in temps for sure...

baldy

bob said:
No one ever said anything about trying to cool a house with "little two 120mm case fans".

they are already on, and its a waste of money and energy. "Since heat costs more"... ?

No, im not here alone. Already have two window units (13k BTU total) and they dont cut the mustard.

Thanks all, for not answering my question and making assumptions.

This is all in a small room seperate from the house, you actually think one computer can make an entire house 60F+ higher than the outside temperature alone?

Anyways, I should've clarified. Im building a sealed rackmount cabinet for all of the computer crap, and I needed a fan controller for that. It makes more sense to pump the heat out of a rackmount cabinet outside, than to dump it in the house and get $1500 worth of airconditioners.

Ill ask again. Can anyone recomend some kind of fan controller?

Heat in 99% of homes uses natural gas, which costs more to run than electric air conditioning, thats was I was referring to. If your heat uses electricity I apologize.

wee96 said:
Heat in 99% of homes uses natural gas, which costs more to run than electric air conditioning, thats was I was referring to. If your heat uses electricity I apologize.

What does heating costs in a home have anything to do with computert cooling.

Its rather frustraiting when people cant give a direct answer, to hell with it.

If you are running this system in a rack seperate from the house than I would suggest cooling with some 110V fans. That it what we use at work on our racks to cool them.... One has has three 120mm 110V fans that exhaust out the top and are rated at 150cfm. They are really thick, and arent overly noisy for a rackmount system. They could be controled by a 110V light dimmer or something similar, but if noise isnt that big of an issure let em run. Just a thought, a bit more involved, but I feel a more proper way of running a sealed rack.

Joni Nitro said:
If you are running this system in a rack seperate from the house than I would suggest cooling with some 110V fans. That it what we use at work on our racks to cool them.... One has has three 120mm 110V fans that exhaust out the top and are rated at 150cfm. They are really thick, and arent overly noisy for a rackmount system. They could be controled by a 110V light dimmer or something similar, but if noise isnt that big of an issure let em run. Just a thought, a bit more involved, but I feel a more proper way of running a sealed rack.

Funny that you mention it... I was at the junkyard looking around for a small diesel air cooled engine, and hoping for some more of the old AT&T rackmount closets. No dice on those, but I did find a 3x 120v 120mm fan for a rack. They move about as much air as my big lasko box fan and are about 5x as loud.

Like I said, to hell with it. I think Ill just buy a digital HVAC type thermostat.

2uantuM said:
What the hell is heating your house though!?

Its not a house, its a well insulated room seperate and far from the house in the back of the yard. One computer is heating it.

Back