Its Electric: Boogie Woogie Woogie!

netbrad

Limp Gawd
Two nights ago I received a "USB Device is over voltage" message while booting. The PC shut down, I unplugged the only USB device I hade (mouse in rear port), powered off the power supply, waited 30 seconds, reversed everything and the PC booted with no problems.

Last night I received the same message, but after following the steps above nothing happened, except I noticed the mobo diagnostic LED flashing once every second. I then noticed a yellowish flash every second coming from the front USB port, which turned out to be a small spark. Upon further review of the USB slot and my floor:

Can you guess what is missing?
usb001.jpg

Found it (adapter for scale):
usb002.jpg

Spooky!
usb003.jpg

I'm not sure what happened, I built this machine last August and I've been very careful with my case. Not sure if the front USB assembly is replaceable but I'll see what Antec says.

Spooky!
usb003.jpg

I'm not sure what happened, I built this machine last August and I've been very careful with my case. Not sure if the front USB assembly is replaceable but I'll see what Antec says.

Dude, that's just a piece of plastic that keeps the USB prongs separate. They are probably sparking a bit since the gap is open. Just put some superglue on the back of the piece of plastic and slide it back into place. It'll work fine.

Back