"Its DEAD JIM" :)

Ed Wolfram

n00b
All,
I wanted to jump on the SLI bandwagon so I recently ordered (from NewEGG)
(1) ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
(2) AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz HT 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor
(3) CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory
(4) eVGA 256-P2-N391-AX Geforce 6800GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
Video Card
(5) Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, TUV, CB, FCC CLASS B, CUL

Note: This is all stuff that was mentioned in the Holidays Wrapup late last year :)

Well I finally got around to putting it all together late yesterday, the motherbord wont even POST, I have tried reseating the memory, CPU and Video Card to No avail, no beeps no moans no wimpers. What I do hear is all the fans running (The CPU appears to be very quiet from what i am used too?)

(1) The Video Card is in the Blue Slot
(2) Memory in A1 and B1 as per the book (Blue Slots)
(3) Memory in B1 only ( tried both sticks)

So whats the best way to debug this? Does anybody know what newEggs policy on this is?

Thanks
Ed

All,
I did make sure to install the 4pin "square" plug into the motherboard as per the specs, and I did run the extra 6 pin pci-e power plug to the video card, I did try the 4 pin molex EZ-power connector and it did not make a difference plugged in or not?

Thanks
Ed

make sure you did not plug the firewire from your case into the USB headers on the board. If you did , and many do, your toast

Ed Wolfram said:
All,
I did make sure to install the 4pin "square" plug into the motherboard as per the specs, and I did run the extra 6 pin pci-e power plug to the video card, I did try the 4 pin molex EZ-power connector and it did not make a difference plugged in or not?

Thanks
Ed
Plug them all in at the same time :rolleyes:

Are you able to check to see if the vid card runs in another system?
Also, are you able to try a different set of memory?

try starting it with just one stick of memory, and move that stick around into different slots.
try starting it with an old pci video card...anything will work, even some complete POS pci card.
try resetting the bios
try taking everything out of the case and setting it on like a piece of cardboard and then try to start it (in case of a grounding issue)

All,
Ended finding a solution that will atleast allow the post to work, got the machine up and running but I "dont" think it is in DUAL Channel Mode. I put BOTH sticks into A1 and A2
1 Blue and 1 Black, he book says different but this appears to be the only way it will boot
(Filling the A or B block both works but with 1 in each block it fails post.

How do i verify that its NOT running in Dual Channel mode?

Thanks
Ed

Well, if you've got a windows installation running just download Everest or CPU-Z and it'll give you the info you need.

If you don't, then you might be able to find that info in the bios, but I'm not sure. If you boot to an instance of memtest86, it'd probably be listed somewhere in there.

Back