It's Been 10 Years Since Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Was Announced

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Can’t Valve just get someone to write a book or create a YouTube mini-series and end this cliffhanger saga?

…this is not confirmation of Half-Life 2: Episode 3. It's a compilation of interviews given and questions taken by Valve boss Gabe Newell in the decade since the infamous finale to the Half-Life trilogy was first announced. That happened May 24, 2006. Valve and Newell were, for a time, very happy to discuss plans for Half-Life 2: Episode 3. Ten years ago, Valve was even happy to give the game a launch window — "by Christmas 2007." Perhaps not coincidentally, 2008 is when Newell starts clamming up about it. The posture changes from "we're still working on it, of course," to a very strict "we have nothing to say about Half-Life."

I feel like the don't have any game programmers who know anything about half-life any more.

It was put on hold so HL3 could be a higher priority. lol

We have literally come into the VR Age and still.. no hl3 or ep3.
Really hoping theyve been waiting on technology to progress, maybe even vr, in able to fullfill their "realistic" goals.

Its sad to even say ive forgotten about half life in chunks of time throughout the past decade until something like this pops up and reminds me to be sad again.

Reactions: Zuul
like this
It may never come out because valves structure is centered toward fixing games like hotfixes or additional DLC; then again maybe some clever employee can hotfix halflife 3 into existence...? I honestly think they know the lore of halflife keeps a Mystique around them. If they end it they will lose a cash cow. The same with final fantasy 7 remake. They were never going to do it until stockholders started to cause a ruckus. also valve is a private company sooo....>_>

HL2 was ok, but I wish you didn't do as much fleeing in that game. I wish it was more puzzle/infiltration like the first bunch of games. I still miss all of the different game modes people created for TFC too; all of that went away when steam and HL2 was released.

Half Life 2 was the Lost of video games. It draws you end with endless twists and ultimately goes nowhere. I think they just ran out of ideas and moved on.

Half Life 2 was the Lost of video games. It draws you end with endless twists and ultimately goes nowhere. I think they just ran out of ideas and moved on.

In fairness, Ep2 was a good note to end on if end it was. The whole game had a good run, especially given what other video games were like back then.

...rather than beating a dead horse for more and more money like say ANY EA franchise. Topping HL1 and HL2 and Ep1 and Ep2 is a near impossible task.

The responses as the years went by grew progressively pathetic. It would have been easier to digest if he simply said "fuk you".

Reactions: Damar
like this
Quake 2 and HL2 was the best single players I ever wanted to play. I can't believe Valve is leaving all that money on the floor. Gabe just seems so damn lazy. HL3 I would build a maxed out PC just for it. This really really saddens me. What a shame.

I don't even care any more, this was not what I came for, I wont stand for this at all, I wont play it anymore....

I will continue to wait in hopes of a game worthy of carrying the story forward.

Well what was annoying was, when Ep 1 came out, they were hyping the whole "episodic content" thing. Their supposed selling point at the time was that episodic content, i.e. a slow drip of new games, was better then....waiting around for years for a sequel. Well, surprise! That's exactly what we all are fucking doing. (Are we even waiting anymore? I gave up years ago.)

I.e., "trust us, this will be better." Well it wasn't. And we never even got an explanation, just to make it even shittier. Of course, would I have bought Ep 1 and Ep 2 if I was magically made aware at the time that we would never ever see Ep 3, and I would just be left hanging? Probably... but still. That was a pretty mammoth let down, considering how big of a game HL was at the time.

Not sure why people even care, it was just a game after all. Right now, Gabe is to busy thinking up fantasy scenarios of how life it in the real world and acting on them. Unfortunately, he is usually wrong but, it is good to see some effort being made on the gaming front anyways.

We're never going to get a HL3 or HL2 Ep3. That makes me incredibly sad. But I've come to terms with it and moved on with my life.

Back