It's ALIVE

xxGriff

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
1,793
opened my door to a package...

i have her up and running! breathing and crunching. yeah nice touch with the GPU, i am thrilled.

again, my thanks Kendrak. you, Alan and Z provided some fun for us, and some quality time with my kids, and all for [H]orde! :D

Foldin' [H]ard ...this rocks.


1
 
Awesome, and congratulations Griff :D Now you can rock some more PPD for the cause!
 
Sweet, have fun setting it up and enjoy the extra PPD ;)!

Just don't expect to keep me from passing you with it, lol. :p :D

 
moarsquirrel.jpg


More points!

I'm glad it is up and running. For the horde!
 
Last edited:
So i seem to have all my boxen set.

GTX 260
9600GT
8600GTS
9600GSO
ATI 3850

and a couple CPU cleints on the dual cores which house the 8600 and 3850.

i may get mowed, but your gonna have to werk fer it T4rd :p

i am very pleased to be putting out some nice ppd. C'mon one meeeeellion!
 
So i seem to have all my boxen set.

GTX 260
9600GT
8600GTS
9600GSO
ATI 3850

and a couple CPU cleints on the dual cores which house the 8600 and 3850.

i may get mowed, but your gonna have to werk fer it T4rd :p

i am very pleased to be putting out some nice ppd. C'mon one meeeeellion!

Haha, I'm workin! Check it out, you - 441, me - 442, lol. I'm on your heels! ;)

You should actually be pretty close to me in PPD. I have:

2x GTX 280s
8600 GTS
Quadro m370
Around 7 CPU clients running across all my PCs.

I may have to start doing VMs on my i7 machine to keep you at bay, hah. But it's my daily rig, so I dunno if I wanna mess with it too much.
 
Haha, I'm workin! Check it out, you - 441, me - 442, lol. I'm on your heels! ;)

You should actually be pretty close to me in PPD. I have:

2x GTX 280s
8600 GTS
Quadro m370
Around 7 CPU clients running across all my PCs.

I may have to start doing VMs on my i7 machine to keep you at bay, hah. But it's my daily rig, so I dunno if I wanna mess with it too much.
I think you could run a 4 core VM and not even notice.
 
I may have to start doing VMs on my i7 machine to keep you at bay, hah. But it's my daily rig, so I dunno if I wanna mess with it too much.

I'm running two VMs on my i7 and I dont notice it running at all. The PPD drops drastically when I play Aion though.
 
I think you could run a 4 core VM and not even notice.

I'm running two VMs on my i7 and I dont notice it running at all. The PPD drops drastically when I play Aion though.

Cool, I'll look into it this weekend when I got time. I might experiment with it on my Q6600 work box before I set it up at home too.

Update: I'm 421 points behind ya now, griff ;).
 
Uhm....hey T4rd, why doint ya play some Aion? :p

and the hardboxen is right there too.


i'm looking at 10-12k ppd now.
 
Last edited:
Uhm....hey T4rd, why doint ya play some Aion? :p

and the hardboxen is right there too.


i'm looking at 10-12k ppd now.

Lol, well you may have bought a day from me now. I just came home from work and my 2x GTX280 rig had been restarted from a BSOD :(. Hopefully it's nothing serious cuz I'm on it now and it's running good. I might have been the OC I put on the cards. Cuz that's the first BSOD I've had in Win7 and I just OC'd both of them last night. I was wondering wtf was up when I checked the stats before I left work and you gained like 3k points on me, hah. I'll be playing L4D2 tonight too, so I'll be losing 8k PPD for a bit while I'm doing that, heh.
 
alright, i got a question, in need of some advice on VM-SMP.

i was talking to a friend today when i was out picking up a KVM switch, and he offered to sell me his s775 Q6600 as he has a new i7. the price was definitely swwet, and i am thinking i may be able to take it next week or so.

what kind of production would i see from it? i have only skimmed the SMP and VMware. i am simply wondering what kind of payoff i would see in adding a Q6600 to my garden?

my inner geek is drooling at the opportunity to set it up and such, but that alone is not reason enough to jump in. oh yeah, i have and additional 2gb (1x2gb) DDR2-1066 i would be using in the Asus MoBo.
 
I would say about 4-5000ppd, depending on how it's clocked. I don't actually own a Q6600, but seeing some of the numbers other people have stated it seems about right.

But as always you would be much better off getting a cheap board that has 3 or 4 PCIe slots and putting some GPUs on to fold as well.
 
I get about 5k out of mine (with a bit of an OC on it ;))
 
thanks...

yeah i know GPU's are the way to go for out right pernts, but for the price i am being offered the CPU is kind of a no brainer for the time being. as i wont have to buy anything other than the CPU for now, and with a GPU purchase i would have to get a new PSU as well. i have 2 SLI and one crossfire MoBo's that i will eventually populate empty PCIe's with GPU's.

thanks again...will let you know when it happens.
 
I get about 5k out of mine (with a bit of an OC on it ;))

Damn, I'm definitely gonna set some VMs up on my work machines Q6600. I don't think its Dell mobo will let me OC it though.
 
Damn, I'm definitely gonna set some VMs up on my work machines Q6600. I don't think its Dell mobo will let me OC it though.

So it will be closer to 4k..... still well worth it.
 
OT question, but I don't think I need to make a whole new thread for it;

I started reading Xilikons VM guide and he said to go here to get the player. I went there, it said I had to register to get the freeware VM Player. So I did, got the confirmation registration e-mail. Clicked the downloads link in the e-mail to get the VM player product. Choose my OS and then it stops me at a page that says "We have sent an email to the address you provided with a link you can use to confirm receipt and gain access to your download.". Except I didn't, there's no direct link in my e-mail to get VM player and it won't let me download it even though I'm logged in and registered. WTF? Where can I get the VM player?
 
OT question, but I don't think I need to make a whole new thread for it;

I started reading Xilikons VM guide and he said to go here to get the player. I went there, it said I had to register to get the freeware VM Player. So I did, got the confirmation registration e-mail. Clicked the downloads link in the e-mail to get the VM player product. Choose my OS and then it stops me at a page that says "We have sent an email to the address you provided with a link you can use to confirm receipt and gain access to your download.". Except I didn't, there's no direct link in my e-mail to get VM player and it won't let me download it even though I'm logged in and registered. WTF? Where can I get the VM player?

You want this.

Make sure to do the edit in the .vmx file and up it to 4 cores. PM me if you need any more help.
 
You want this.

Make sure to do the edit in the .vmx file and up it to 4 cores. PM me if you need any more help.

Thanks, Kendrak. I just downloaded 2.5.3 since it wouldn't let me get 3.0. But you seem to found a work-around for 3.0 for me, hah. Thanks a lot and I'll definitley PM you if I have some trouble. :D
 
Wow, I can't believe how much more PPD this i7 puts out with notfred. I know I've heard you all talk about it, but DAMN! I'm just running 4 threads on it right now and getting almost 6k PPD from FOUR threads! Two threads on this thing is 75% faster than the 8600 GTS I have at work! I'm definitely setting this up on my Q6600 at work! The only thing is, my i7 @ 3.36 GHz is sitting at about 78 C. right now, not sure if that's healthy for it, heh. I took the side off my case to help it get some air. I thought my Thermaltake V8 cooler would do better than that :(. Thanks for the help, Kendrak!
 
Wow, I can't believe how much more PPD this i7 puts out with notfred. I know I've heard you all talk about it, but DAMN! I'm just running 4 threads on it right now and getting almost 6k PPD from FOUR threads! Two threads on this thing is 75% faster than the 8600 GTS I have at work! I'm definitely setting this up on my Q6600 at work! The only thing is, my i7 @ 3.36 GHz is sitting at about 78 C. right now, not sure if that's healthy for it, heh. I took the side off my case to help it get some air. I thought my Thermaltake V8 cooler would do better than that :(. Thanks for the help, Kendrak!

Yeah notfreds is pretty awesome in windows. I have my i7 at 3.6 and I am running one 8 core vm that is producing on average, 8k ppd. Now that is with me working on it at the same time so of course it fluctuates.

edit- forgot to mention that it is being cooled by a Corsair h50 Water Cooler and its max temp is 65c at 100% load :)
 
I need to get my VMs up next.
I just now got all my GPUs online but am having an issue with one of them.
 
Wow, I can't believe how much more PPD this i7 puts out with notfred. I know I've heard you all talk about it, but DAMN! I'm just running 4 threads on it right now and getting almost 6k PPD from FOUR threads! Two threads on this thing is 75% faster than the 8600 GTS I have at work! I'm definitely setting this up on my Q6600 at work! The only thing is, my i7 @ 3.36 GHz is sitting at about 78 C. right now, not sure if that's healthy for it, heh. I took the side off my case to help it get some air. I thought my Thermaltake V8 cooler would do better than that . Thanks for the help, Kendrak!
I was getting ~12k with my 3.6GHz i7 running 1 VM with 7 threads. Though after adding the MPICH variable, points seem to have gone down...it's sitting at 7.5k at the moment...
 
Back
Top