IT Professionals - Advice needed

CoPilotJim

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 29, 2004
Messages
120
Hello,

if you're an IT professional I could use some advice.

I graduated from a local private university with a degree in information technology four years ago. I'm fairly computer literate (can diagnose most problems, change hardware, build pcs from scratch etc), however I have no corporate IT experience.

I currently work as an applications engineer for a company. Most of my work revolves around implementing/supporting proprietary software that my company produces in assembly plants. As a part of my job I have done some hardware repair, hard drive images, etc but most of my work is relates to this proprietary software. It's a great job, I'm paid well ($55k), I have good benefits, and great co-workers. The problem is I can't stand what I do, I have no interest at all. As a result I'm not excited about the work or motivated.

Ideally I'd love to start working in IT. I realize that I'll make atleast 10k-20k less and will most likely work more hours. However I just want to enjoy what I'm doing. I believe I'd really enjoy help desk work (you probably think i'm nuts). I wanted to ask what you think my chances are of being hired for such a position with no real corporate experience. Second I'm thinking that I'll need to get A+, MCSE, and NETWORK + certs to make the transition.- what do you think? Could you tell me what the best resources are for studying for the tests? Are there any forums I should check out?

Thank you for your help.

I'm sorry if this was the wrong forum, wasn't sure which to post this in. Please move it if necessary.
 
I graduated from a local private university with a degree in information technology four years ago. I'm fairly computer literate

Well I would certainly hope so. Seriously though, you could just interview for a few positions while you're at your current job. You don't really have anything to lose. At least it will give you a real world view of what companies are looking for.
 
Well I would certainly hope so. Seriously though, you could just interview for a few positions while you're at your current job. You don't really have anything to lose. At least it will give you a real world view of what companies are looking for.

+1. Plus if you really are going to make a move and haven't interviewed in a while you get to polish up those skills as well.
 
Once you get a mortgage, you will start to love your pay cheque.

As tech support can be easily replaced, you won't have any job security.
 
Back
Top