It leaked!!

qbert95

Limp Gawd
Well there goes my 4 year streak of having zero problems with WC'in. I opened my case today to hook up my fdd to flash my new dvd burners bios and must have loosened on of my connections in the process. Anyways no more than 5min after that my monitor shut down and I just knew what it was. I was basically in "code red" and frantically stripped down my case before searching for the leak. It was a simple drip from my cpu block (1 drip every 15 sec or so), but thats all it takes when it is directly above my now fried 9800xt :mad: . After further investigation I found that, after a year or so since I installed my current setup, the metal tube clamps were no longer tight against the tubing. So remember to retighten those clamps every few months just in case.

On the bright side I have an excuse to upgrade to a 6800 Nvidia since I am subconciously blaming ATI for not building a water resistant card :p

Chicken Penni Pasta said:
Teaches you to add a FDD

I was gonna say that at first, but I'm gonna be making the move to h2O in the next week or so....just waitin' for the Heatercore.

qbert95, sorry to hear about the mishap.....but at least now you can justify your upgrade eh? :p

I had a similar leak occur in my case recently. I thought that I fried my X300 (don't laugh--it's temporary until I can get my hands on a 6600GT or X700XT). Water even managed to work its way in between where the gpu package bonds to the board. Anyway, I blew the water out with compressed air and let it dry. Much to my surprise the card still worked after everything dried out. Guess I got lucky.

I forsee water resistant vid cards in the future now. Might want to get a patent on that and sit on it just in case.

BoogerBomb said:
I forsee water resistant vid cards in the future now. Might want to get a patent on that and sit on it just in case.

Hehe, talk about being in the right place at the right time if THAT come through.....way to take one for the team bro. :p

What's an FDD?

OMFG.......you're joking right?????

HDD = hard disk drive.....now stop for a second and think what DRIVE that "F" might stand for. :rolleyes:

No hard feelings, I just found it extremely hard to believe that someone wouldn't know what FDD meant. :p

BoogerBomb said:

what about making some sort of plexi cover to go over the back of the card (and can be attached to something.. back of the case/pci slot)? just thought of it.

maxxo said:
what about making some sort of plexi cover to go over the back of the card (and can be attached to something.. back of the case/pci slot)? just thought of it.

Bro...I really wanna get behind having something like that made......an acrylic plate kind of setup on teh back of the card with little walls around it.....that slopes slightly down towards the back of the case.....it could easily be made to guide the water out of the case if built correctly. :p The thing is that not every case still has that useless empty slot above the video card where you could "port" the water out.

Dont be to hard on em. Nobody uses Floppy drives anymore, do they? Theyre history, a dieing breed. Let em go.

Start using old crap like taht and next thing you know theres water leaking all over the place lol.

MikeP said:
Dont be to hard on em. Nobody uses Floppy drives anymore, do they? Theyre history, a dieing breed. Let em go.

Start using old crap like taht and next thing you know theres water leaking all over the place lol.

I use mine religously!

Two reasons -

1) Still use it for school to transport files back and forth. I do have to admit that that itself is dying due to the creation of gmail =)

2) I have a Sony Digital Camera that uses floppies to record the pics.

So HA! some of us still use them. that and for god's sake its not hurting anything in a computer to be there! lol

I also had water in my agp slot but luckily it still works (have old 8500 installed atm), but I havnt yet given up on the 9800. I ordered a cheap HSF and will try to see if i can get it working again (as of now comp wont boot with its installed). I also removed all my WC parts until I get some new Tygon tubing in and no more cheap home depot crap anymore.

For future reference. If you suspect a comp part has gotten wet DO NOT try to turn the comp on repeatedly to seeif it works. Dry it out thoroughly before trying to do so. Trying it while its still wet will result in much greater chances of the card getting fried.

Soullfytribe345 said:
Still use it for school to transport files back and forth. I do have to admit that that itself is dying due to the creation of gmail =)
ever heard of FTP or a pen drive? (usb stick)
Soullfytribe345 said:
I have a Sony Digital Camera that uses floppies to record the pics.
what resolution is it? My camera takes pics at a high enough res that it wouldn't even fit on a floppy... I assume you can't do RAW? How fast does it write the image?

About the ONLY time I use a floppy anymore is to get Windows setup to recognize my RAID or SATA controller. I wish they had a better way of getting the driver in there...

ever heard of FTP or a pen drive? (usb stick)

I have run into numerous cases both at school and while working on older machines where a floppy has been an only option.....and FTP xfers and thumb drives are not even something to think about. I also still use my floppy drive to do video card BIOS flashes.....and with the amount of work I do on older computers I would feel kinda lost without my floppy drive.

No matter what some ppl say, there ARE still very good reasons for owning a reliable FDD these days.

cornelious0_0 said:
I have run into numerous cases both at school and while working on older machines where a floppy has been an only option.....and FTP xfers and thumb drives are not even something to think about. I also still use my floppy drive to do video card BIOS flashes.....and with the amount of work I do on older computers I would feel kinda lost without my floppy drive.

No matter what some ppl say, there ARE still very good reasons for owning a reliable FDD these days.

Notice how your reasons are all about "Older machines" "older Computers" FDDs are going belly up. Right now, as we speak, Dieing. You can almost hear it.

man, u wana talk about leeks, ive had my water system for about 4 months now (actually up and running for about 1 month now the first 3 months i had it, i was in the process of polishing my case by hand.) anyways.... i went to make a tube adjustment a couple of days ago, and 5 minutes after turning on my system i was complaining to a buddy of mine on AIM saying "whats worce than having a new video card *6800* and not being able to install it until i drain my water system" he replyed "springing a leek".... i then just out of supersticions and paranoia i checked the windowed side of my computer to see a steady stream of water coming off the top of my resivwar (my pump sits on top of my res). at any rate... i then looked down and saw there was a 24 square inch puddle of purple water on my carpet.... of course i immediatly turned of my still running system. the water had driped down my 5 and 1/4" bays and landed and dripped off my Lian-Li hard drive rack at the bottom where i had 2 250 gig drives 1 200gig drive and 1 raptor sitting in it. once it puddled up on the hard drive bays luckaly it ran down the sides of it and gathered arround the feet of the computer where it leeked on the carpet. at any rate... i ended up losing 6-10 Oz's of water from this leek. very fortunatly it did not damage a single peice of my hardware. but what it turned out the problem was, was that when i was adjusting my tubing i accadentaly twisted the bleed valve on my Hydor L20 pump. which allowed the water to simply spew out the side of the pump. this is one mistake i wont make again. :rolleyes:

maxxo said:

damn man, this is exactly what I thought of after I read this post. I was even thinkin about trying to bank on it.

Bro...I really wanna get behind having something like that made......an acrylic plate kind of setup on teh back of the card with little walls around it.....that slopes slightly down towards the back of the case.....it could easily be made to guide the water out of the case if built correctly. The thing is that not every case still has that useless empty slot above the video card where you could "port" the water out.

instead of routing the water out of the case, make the plate sloped with a drain hose at one end that drains back into the resevior. I don't see why something like this couldn't work at every connection or block in the whole loop.

bigbadgreen said:
instead of routing the water out of the case, make the plate sloped with a drain hose at one end that drains back into the resevior. I don't see why something like this couldn't work at every connection or block in the whole loop.

Theoretically that could work, but it would take a great deal more time to design and might not work in all cases.

Would prob depend on how much room you have to work with. My small(er) case is getting pretty packed now. Just something to keep it off the mobo and vid card would be excellent...even if it drains right onto the floor. Or into a wastepaper basket.

MikeP said:
Would prob depend on how much room you have to work with. My small(er) case is getting pretty packed now. Just something to keep it off the mobo and vid card would be excellent...even if it drains right onto the floor. Or into a wastepaper basket.

True.....it shouldnt actually be that hard to get something like this setup when you think about it.

I've never had any experience or know anybody with any experience on any glazes to make it waterproof. It also depends on how much you like to look at the insides of your computer and how many times you upgrade and change parts. In theory you could cover everything inside the case in anything that wouldn't conduct as long as you left parts that need to be cooled out so they could be cooled. I'm just throwing ideas out and it would probably look like crap. I've never tested anything like this as far as heat transfer and it even being worth it because certain parts like cpus, gpus, ram chipsets etc... will still have to be exposed, not to mention caps and such. My guess is that it would have to be pretty heat resistent and very thin, and still have the ability to transfer heat well.
I'm rambling again, if anybody decides to make anything in this thread post pics please.

My new tubing arrived yesterday and I replumbed my system and reinstalled my 9800 XT and crossed my fingers. To my amazment it worked :eek: ! I was dreading having to spend hundreds for a new card and leavng it out to dry must have done the trick. BTW the 5/16" tubing for my 1/2" fitting worked really well and I have had zero rise in my temps.

qbert95 said:
My new tubing arrived yesterday and I replumbed my system and reinstalled my 9800 XT and crossed my fingers. To my amazment it worked :eek: ! I was dreading having to spend hundreds for a new card and leavng it out to dry must have done the trick. BTW the 5/16" tubing for my 1/2" fitting worked really well and I have had zero rise in my temps.

Good stuff man, great news on all accounts.

Be sure to get us some further results out of that baby. :D

Why did u pick up 5/16? its smaller than 3/8 even... just curious :D

and congrats on the fact that your 9800xt is alright :D

MikeP said:

I use my FDD...

TehQuick said:
Why did u pick up 5/16? its smaller than 3/8 even... just curious :D

and congrats on the fact that your 9800xt is alright :D

oops sorry that was a mt i meant 7/16" :)

I was also about 2 seconds away from tossing the card a few days ago before i decided to wait on the new tubing and spending a few more minutes plubing it into the line just in case. Im am soooo happy i did :D

Hehe, followed Cathar's advice? where did u get the 7/16 from? what model/formula?

I ordered from Mcmaster-Carr. Its (part# 5233k44) Masterkleer general purpose clear pvc tubing; 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD, 3/32" Wall and cost a whooping 0.36 ft :cool:

I have a FDD installed in my computer, but I installed it backwards. I have to open case to use it.

Glad your card wasn't "roont".

I have never installed a floppy in any computer...

I didn't know what an FDD was either... lol ;) :p

Back