IT Help

AdamMT1618

Limp Gawd
I haven't logged in for a long time, but I need some help and ideas for a presentatin on virtualization. My audience dosen't have much knowledge about it, so this speech should be very informative to beginners.

Any ideas? I was thinking to start off with of course, what is virtualization. I would give examples using simple methods such as VMware with Server 2008 and 3 Windows clients running. I would give an example in how virtual machines can save organizations thousands of dollars, such as, the court house here went from 200 servers down to 2 servers which include 200 virtual machines. Thus, lessoning the cost of hardware.

Any ideas? I'm a second year IT student, but I really need ideas in what you would do.

Easy way would be load up a laptop with a SSD, and run vmware workstation with 3-4 guests, a windows server, maybe win7, a linux vm and maybe a OSX vm. Put a window in each corner showing how they are all running at the same time. That gets the basic idea across, then it's easier to scale it up on a server.

At a more conceptual level make sure to cover topics like availability, manageability, cost, recoverability, scalability, etc. Consolidation is just one piece in the puzzle to me.

I think it is key to make sure that they understand the abstraction of running applications from physical hardware and then tie back to actual business problems that are solved now that there is an abstraction from the physical layer; such as BC/DR, maintenance, hardware refreshes, time to market of services (i.e. ordering hardware to spin up any sort of application/lab/etc), etc, etc.

An easy demo would perhaps be a AD/exchange environment with two clients passing email back and forth. It's a process that everybody can wrap their head around, then you could tell them at minimum how much hardware it would take to do that traditionally?

Be sure to check out success stories
http://www.vmware.com/a/customers/

It sounds like this audience may be living in the past. Is this a technical, non-technical, or mix? This will decide on the direction of the presentation. If it's a business lead audience, you want to make this as non-technical as possible and state uses cases and business advantages of introducing virtualization in their environment.

If it's a technical audience you can be a bit more technical, still stating the gains for business process/applications, etc but you can get more technical and discuss the advantages of OpEX, manageability, scaling, etc...i'm sure you can get a bit deeper.

The audience dictates the content. Business leaders could care less about the technical information pertaining Virtulization. They want to know what this can do for their business and of course $ savings.

subscribed

I might be able to get some "board member" virtualization presentation things. I will get back to you.

Depending on the audience, you may have to explain what exactly a computer needs to be usable. i.e. a CPU, memory, storage, and an OS.

Then maybe speak to how a single set of hardware can provide all those things to multiple computers by sharing resources?

Back