IT Engineering and possible Internship?

DarkDubzs

Limp Gawd
Sorry if this isnt really the right place for this... but it kinda concerns industry networking... :(

So i was looking on Craigslist for a possible small job or internship, and i may have found something great.
First of all, the ad is posted calling for an IT Engineering Intern. When i hear Engineering associated with computers, i subconsciously think of Computer Engineering which is definitely not what i want to work in. I would enjoy working in IT, Networking, Systems Admin., etc. So, what exactly is IT Engineering? Google proves little help, and even wiki doesn't help much. So... yeah, what is it?

Secondly, they sound like something near perfect for me to try, but looking over the requirements, i would not qualify as a paid intern. Although, I believe i could really be efficient as something like a non paid intern, or just a co-op kind of thing. Kinda like something unofficial like basically an intern, but with no pay, no benefits, just there to learn, get some real experience, etc.
The ad sounds like it is basically user support with basic stuff like Microsoft Office, Windows, and some Routers/Servers () and it says after 30-90 days, you can start handling low level tickets with some help. Seriously, this sounds perfect and like a truly priceless opportunity. I would really love to give this a shot, and even more so, them give me a shot, but i feel like they wouldnt even consider me.
I am thinking of emailing them directly, not via craigslist, and basically asking in a professional way if they would consider having me as a non paid intern or if i could shadow their team or an individual team member to learn and experience industry relevant work, and gain some work experience in the field i plan to build my career in.
Should i even bother, i mean, do you guys think they would really even consider it? I dont want to just mooch off them and goof off, i want to really learn, but also contribute to their business and be worth something to them, and i want them to be aware of that. More likely than not, ill still email them and inquire about this possibility, but what else should i include? What should i say in my email or emphasize? I want to give myself the absolute best chance at getting this opportunity.
Also, im only a HS senior, i have absolutely no real work experience, little extra curricular activity, but i know i would act professional and disciplined in a work environment. Just because i have little experience doesnt mean i wont be worth anything, doesnt mean i cant contribute, work well, or learn a lot. Long story short, i REALLY want this, and i know i can handle it. FYI, ill be going to college this fall for my BS in CIS (Computer Information Systems). Cant drive, but i can get a ride... parents lol.

CL post: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tch/4429595323.html
Their website: http://www.numanetworks.com/

Please help! Leave any feedback, advice and guidance. Sorry for super long post. Please and Thank you!!

When i hear Engineering associated with computers, i subconsciously think of Computer Engineering which is definitely not what i want to work in. I would enjoy working in IT, Networking, Systems Admin., etc. So, what exactly is IT Engineering? Google proves little help, and even wiki doesn't help much. So... yeah, what is it?

The 'E-word' gets thrown around a lot in the computer and IT industries, especially by people whom I would consider unworthy of the title. There are plenty of people who like to place far too much emphasis on job titles and not enough emphasis on what they actually do and what value they add to the company. I can't tell you the number of people who complained when my organization changed some of their business titles. One word gets changed, and people start throwing tantrums, even though their pay and responsibilities were identical.

There are plenty of people who couldn't tell you what MTTF and MTTR stand for let alone calculate system availability from it, have no idea what the word 'amortization' can mean, and can't understand lognormal distributions, and yet some of these people will be the very first to tell you that they're a software engineer, not a software developer, or that they're a network engineer, not a network administrator, or that they're a support engineer, not a support technician or a support analyst. Someone who meets with stakeholders to determine requirements, designs the networks to meet those needs, identifies appropriate hardware purchases, oversees their implementation and hires/trains staff to support these networks can certainly be called a network engineer...however, the guy who reboots the switches every once in a while, adds MAC addresses to DHCP every time the company gets new printers and deals with the occasional end user who can't figure out how to connect to wifi, on the other hand, has no business getting bent out of shape when people don't refer to them as 'Network Engineer II'. There are definitely roles which are best described as software engineer, network engineer, support engineer, etc, but 9 times out of 10 engineer is just slapped onto job titles in IT for glorification purposes. HR departments like to post jobs with these titles, because that 'second kind of person' will be easy to recruit if they can brag to their buddies about their 'new job as an engineer'.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about 'engineer' being in the title, especially if it's an entry-level or internship position. IT jobs often say they're 'engineering' without actually being computer engineering.

Secondly, they sound like something near perfect for me to try, but looking over the requirements, i would not qualify as a paid intern.

Why not?

Also, im only a HS senior, i have absolutely no real work experience, little extra curricular activity, but i know i would act professional and disciplined in a work environment. Just because i have little experience doesnt mean i wont be worth anything, doesnt mean i cant contribute, work well, or learn a lot. Long story short, i REALLY want this, and i know i can handle it. FYI, ill be going to college this fall for my BS in CIS (Computer Information Systems).

If you can demonstrate the passion and enthusiasm so characterized by the people who succeed in that field, they'd be silly not to give you a shot. Emphasize your positives: Technology is your dream job. You're going to be attending school for this. You have a strong desire to learn. You're looking to build a career in this sector, etc. If you work on computers as a hobby, mention that. As long as they're not going to have to explain to you that a hard drive isn't the entire computer enclosure, they probably won't be too worried about your lack of experience...after all, their listing claims they don't require experience.

Cant drive, but i can get a ride... parents lol.

Don't mention that. If they ask, feel free to tell them you have 'reliable transportation'...if indeed you believe your parents will be reliable.

Last edited:
Engineering when used in the IT world (IT Engineer, Systems Engineer) really aren't engineering positions. Titles are not really indicative of job function in IT.

Engineers use scientific method to create and develop systems.

Most IT positions are technologist positions, since most hardware and software is sold with pre-defined specifications and interopterability.

Engineering when used in the IT world (IT Engineer, Systems Engineer) really aren't engineering positions. Titles are not really indicative of job function in IT.

Engineers use scientific method to create and develop systems.

Most IT positions are technologist positions, since most hardware and software is sold with pre-defined specifications and interopterability.

This.

I was a Deskside Engineer for Fujitsu......just end user support, tier 2-3 support. So was the network teams eyes/ears and little troubleshooting with networks. All out network team was in Sweden....

Thanks everyone for the help! All of them really helped me and cleared up stuff like the title of the position, duties, etc. Thank you all, again.

If you can demonstrate the passion and enthusiasm so characterized by the people who succeed in that field, they'd be silly not to give you a shot. Emphasize your positives: Technology is your dream job. You're going to be attending school for this. You have a strong desire to learn. You're looking to build a career in this sector, etc. If you work on computers as a hobby, mention that. As long as they're not going to have to explain to you that a hard drive isn't the entire computer enclosure, they probably won't be too worried about your lack of experience...after all, their listing claims they don't require experience.

I just want to address this part though. I really took this to heart and ill be sure to remember it and follow your advice. Reason is, i really do want to learn and this is something i truly want to do and work in. I do work on computers as a hobby, if i had the money, i would be constantly be upgrading my computer and building more for myself. I even want to start my own little "business," if you may, of simple computer repair for people and building custom pc's, i can troubleshoot almost any computer problem people have, but usually i just get random questions from people, like at school, like "how do i _____ in Microsoft Word/Powerpoint/etc." or... well theyre all too random... too many to list. Anyways, ill really remember this. Thanks!

What do you guys think about this comment i got on another forum for the same question? It kinda is the complte opposite of what some of you guys are saying. He's basically saying i wont get the position even as something unofficial and for no pay, while here on HF, youre kinda saying i should be able to get the position. I dont mind this guys comment, im not mad, if anything, im appreciative to see another side and view of this. But it does bring my hopes down. So do you guys think this comment is accurate and applies to this company and/or position?

Note he also says that CIS is an easier degree to get, which it might be but i dont care because its what i want to work in, and insinuates it will get me a lower chance at a job, which it might, i dont know. Although, I dont want a Computer Science degree or Software/Computer Engineering degree, because i dont want to work in those fields, i dont want to program and code, i dont want to develop computer hardware, i want to work in IT and Networking like with servers, routers, storage, in jobs like a Network Tech, Systems Admin, and eventually after years possibly an actual Network Engineer (lol). I do believe people fresh with degrees like CS or an Engineering degree might get better jobs or any jobs in their field quicker, but i dont care, if i dont enjoy it, i dont want to work in it... who the hell wants to work or do something they dont enjoy or even hate!?... even if it might pay more than something you enjoy? Not me.
He then goes on to talk about the company he works at would outsource for other IT jobs, but i dont believe the company in the ad would do that since they are still a smaller company, which they do say they are a new and smaller company, so i dont think they would be outsourcing right now.
So what do you guys think about this comment below? Is it accurate? Relevant to my situation right now and the company? Should i worry so much? Any feedback welcome!!

I suspect the largest reason you will not succeed is that you can only work for them for 3 or 4 months. They want to train you to eventually do work for them not for you to go work someplace else....or work for nobody.

Be very careful to talk to the advisers at the school about job prospects for your degree. Pretty much the easier it is to get the degree the less value it has in the market. CIS is one of the easier technical degrees to obtain compared to say software engineering. You get a software engineering degree and you will have job offers before you graduate. The company I work for tries to get all the interns it can that are about to graduate with software engineering degrees especially if they have taken a class or two in RF (ie wireless). Last I hear they were paying $20/hr and hoped some would apply for real positions when they graduate. I know most the function that other IT degrees would get we have outsource to our office in india.....they do have lots of unpaid interns very few of which they hire.

Did you even apply/interview for this position yet?

This. Carefully apply. It's not like they're going to shove a pipe bomb through your living room window if they don't like what they see.

Worst case scenario, they don't call you.

During your college years, you're going to hear time and time again that major is not your career. This is a very crucial thing to keep in mind. Over 80% of graduates are in a career field that is not directly related to their major. CIS is a relatively new major. Someone with CS or CE degrees are going to be more desirable, regardless of not be directly associated with IT. It's just how things are.

I would take a strong look at Cisco certifications. A CCNA, then later a CCNP, would yield better opportunities than a BS in CIS.

Which college are you planning to attend?

During your college years, you're going to hear time and time again that major is not your career. This is a very crucial thing to keep in mind. Over 80% of graduates are in a career field that is not directly related to their major. CIS is a relatively new major. Someone with CS or CE degrees are going to be more desirable, regardless of not be directly associated with IT.

I would take a strong look at Cisco certifications. A CCNA, then later a CCNP, would yield better opportunities than a BS in CIS.

Which cal state are you planning to attend?

I know, i cant tell you how many times people have given me endless reasons to forget a CIS degree and go for a CS degree instead, but... im not even gonna get into it again. Anyways, yeah, i know i need certs. Probably gonna start with an A+ and CCNA hopefully during college. Im going to community college first, then to a CSU. Of course, not sure exactly which CSU ill be going to, but my top choices are: Cal Poly Pomona, CSU Long Beach, and CSU Fullerton.Dominguez Hills and L.A. are also in my options list because theyre near enough, but theyre meh.

Back