Issues with X-Fi and 4gb memory

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Dec 17, 2006
Messages
12,524
Ok I am so done with Creative and their bullsh!t driver's :rolleyes:

I have been running Vista64-Ultimate with the system in signature, and the sound was really good, even though my center speaker burnt out, but all sounds were really nice in games......So I went out to buy an additional 2gb memory for my computer to = 4gb total DDR400......I pop it in, everything boots up faster and Windows feels smoother, I try WoW, and this weird popping/crackling sound is coming from speakers, I try S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and the same thing, I uninstall drivers and install brand new ones and still same thing

So for kicks I take out my old memory and just keep 2gb of the new memory to test out, and everything was back to normal and nice, after researching I find this site that has five pages of the same problems;
http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=Vista&message.id=7800#M7800

So screw them i want to keep my 4gb memory, I will just dump them and get a new soundcard, what is the deal with the new Razer Barracuda ?
 
Oooo that pisses me off. I was just about to reinstall Vista x64 today....

Damn Creative and their bloated crap ass drivers.
 
I would say give it some time. I too had some snap crackle pop issues. My system doesnt have 4 gigs of memory but did have two 8800gtx in SLI. My snap crackle pop issues vanished after a week or so.
 
I said F it and bought the Razer Barracuda soundcard have no idea if it will work any better or worse, but all the reviews call this card equal to the X-Fi I have if not better......we shall see
 
I said F it and bought the Razer Barracuda soundcard have no idea if it will work any better or worse, but all the reviews call this card equal to the X-Fi I have if not better......we shall see

Not for games!
 
A few guys I know own one and the use them all the time for games. Say they sound awsome.:) Read some reviews and make up your own mind.
 
WTF !!!!!! Just put the Barracuda in and loaded up Vista64 and it says not compatible ? Are there 64bit drivers specially for this car ??
 
OK, According to the website they have new drivers coming out April 2nd. Good news is you may be able to use a driver from one of the other 8788 based cards until then. I think I can find the info about that I will post back with that info for you..:)
 
Check the website.

Son of a bitch this blow's......I see a 1.10 driver from Decmeber that still does not install, and I dug something out from a long search about maybe April for Vista64 drivers officially from Razer :mad: Fucking cock suckers selling a product without proper support, it is not like they never knew about Vista64 coming out in January, or that there has been a 64bit XP out for a couple of years :rolleyes:
 
AS Isad though there are a few cards out based on that chipset and some of the drivers are universal. I am pretty sure I can find the info and drivers for you. I will post back when I can.
This card came out before VIsta. Remeber almost all hardware manufacturers are playing catch up...
 
Son of a bitch this blow's......I see a 1.10 driver from Decmeber that still does not install, and I dug something out from a long search about maybe April for Vista64 drivers officially from Razer :mad: Fucking cock suckers selling a product without proper support, it is not like they never knew about Vista64 coming out in January, or that there has been a 64bit XP out for a couple of years :rolleyes:

They don't make the drivers, C-Media does (then Razor, or any company, rebrands them), and I do not believe C-Media has developed Vista x64 drivers yet for 8788 cards.

I feel kind of responsible for this because I was going to post earlier today that 8788 cards don't have Vista x64 support yet, but I figured you wouldn't buy it today and that I had some time to do it later. Sorry. :(
 
Here:
http://www.station-drivers.com/page/cmedia.htm

Look about half way down the page and you will see the 8788 Based drivers For Vista. I looked in the folder and there is one for Vista32 and Vista 64. THese must be the drivers the person is referring to. You read the rest of the thread though right about turning off driver checking etc? If this works post back..
@Moofasa, I have been told by wuite a few people and read quite a few post saying there are 64bit drivers for Vista. ALthoguh they are beta version. If you see in the razor site they are trying to get them WHQL's etc..so they are on the way out to mrket but haven't made it yet.
Auzentech won't release ANYTHING until it's perfect.
 
Here:
http://www.station-drivers.com/page/cmedia.htm

Look about half way down the page and you will see the 8788 Based drivers For Vista. I looked in the folder and there is one for Vista32 and Vista 64. THese must be the drivers the person is referring to. You read the rest of the thread though right about turning off driver checking etc? If this works post back..
@Moofasa, I have been told by wuite a few people and read quite a few post saying there are 64bit drivers for Vista. ALthoguh they are beta version. If you see in the razor site they are trying to get them WHQL's etc..so they are on the way out to mrket but haven't made it yet.
Auzentech won't release ANYTHING until it's perfect.

Thank's for the help so far :)......I downloaded the CMedia drivers 8788 series, and tried to install them but said no CMedia hardware is installed ?

How do I turn off "driver checking"
 
hmm, What about in that thread it mentions about diabling a few driver checks. The guy in the thread that tells about the driver is using a Razor card. If we don't get it figured out tonight I know him and will contact him and se what he has to say about getting it working for you..OK? Be patient:) For driver checking I think you hit F8 when the system is booting up...I am not sure though.
 
I figured out how to disable driver checking, had to creat a Command promt on the desktop and type some line about disable check on boot or something, I just did that, and still the CMedia driver wont install ? Says there is no CMedia device please plug in in and try again ?

But every time I restart the system is notices the new soundcard in there and tries to install the drivers right away, but it never works ?


Well I have to go out to dinner now, please research for me if you would be so kind, I also have a brand new pair of Logitech Z-5500's 5.1 surround sound speakers in the box waiting to be gamed on :)
 
I sent a PM to a guy I know that is using that card and Vista 64...I will post the info when I get it.:)
 
A few guys I know own one and the use them all the time for games. Say they sound awsome.:) Read some reviews and make up your own mind.

If they did, then you'd not need two cards and hacks;) I trust MaximumPC and Tech Report over Guru3 and others=P
 
Was I the only person that knew Microsoft was releasing a new OS this year, sounds like Razer and Creative did not get that message, and now we their paying customer have to sit it out and wait :rolleyes:
 
Was I the only person that knew Microsoft was releasing a new OS this year, sounds like Razer and Creative did not get that message, and now we their paying customer have to sit it out and wait :rolleyes:

Well, MS didn't bother to tell anyone until vista business was out and gave a small window before the other versions were released. Besides, all the hardcore enthusiasts are staying on XP until at least SP1 and creative gets most of their money from enthusiasts/audiophiles that use software that is stable on XP. Stop bitching, everyone knew vista was going to suck before it came out, yet you bought it anyways....
 
Went back to the X-Fi Fatality for now, but Fuck u Creative for not being able to have all four memory slots filled with 4gb on my motherboard and play music/games at the same time

Still getting the snap crackle pop sound, and this is a well known issue on the Creative forums website
http://forums.creative.com/creative...message.id=7800&view=by_date_ascending&page=1


so I have to now take out my new memory and only use 2gb and wait or hope Creative writes a new driver......Or also wait for Razer to one day support Vista so I can even use the Barracuda card I bought......which will come first ?
 
Was I the only person that knew Microsoft was releasing a new OS this year, sounds like Razer and Creative did not get that message, and now we their paying customer have to sit it out and wait :rolleyes:

Actually for Creative it's a 64bit issue (same thing happens on XP x64). They know it exists, but that's about all I know on the issue.

For C-Media, not sure what their problem is with getting Vista x64 drivers out, perhaps lack of man power.
 
There is supposed to be a couple of ways to get these cards to work under Vista X64. I am waiting to hear back from the person who is running the Razor on Vista 64. I understand, same ol' Creative Crap...Vista has been in the owrks for what 5 years? and the best they come up with is a bandaid? 64 bit support is crap. Funny on a new OS and guys are still reporting SCP...LOL, Rice Kripies for everybody.
C-Media has 64 bit drivers but they are Beta...Since Vista is all about WHQL you have to wait for the testing to be done...
 
I put my X-Fi back in with the latest beta drivers, but I still cant have all four memory slots filled for a total of 4gb memory, had to take two out and keep 2gb memory and the sound is perfect again.

Word on the street is that Razer has an ETA of April 2nd for Vista drivers for the Barracuda AC-1 we shall see if that is true and works ?

Just sucks that I have 2gb of DDR400 sitting on the shelf in front of me as well as a brand new Barracuda soundcard
 
Welcome to the world of Creative Labs, Sit down and pull up a bowl of Rice Krispies..:rolleyes: You obviously understand why alot of us don't care to use their cards anymore by your other posts.
 
In my xp x64, i couldn't install x-fi driver to 4gb system. it gave very horrible crackling sound. What i did was install to 2gb system and put additional 2gb after driver installed. it works. crackling sound gone at least in my computer. i wish it work to others.
 
You may just be able to move the card which would change it mappings and this may stop the SCP's...
 
You may just be able to move the card which would change it mappings and this may stop the SCP's...

Move it and also uninstall drivers at the same time, or just shutdown computer move it and turn on ?

At this point I think I might as well just wait until April2nd and try out the Razer Vista driver for Barracuda
 
You can wait no biggie the drivers are out there but they are going through MS's WHQL certification. They will be out soon. Your in for some good sound. The 8788 based soundcards are freakin' amazing soundcards.
 
You can wait no biggie the drivers are out there but they are going through MS's WHQL certification. They will be out soon. Your in for some good sound. The 8788 based soundcards are freakin' amazing soundcards.


So I hope Razer is not just estimating when they think their Vista drivers will be reayd......But the website does state April2nd, I just hope I dont go to bed April 2nd and there are still no drivers ?
 
Although Razor has the Green application, the base drivers for the card is the same as other 8788 based cards. Either way you will get your card running. Don't worry.
 
Although Razor has the Green application, the base drivers for the card is the same as other 8788 based cards. Either way you will get your card running. Don't worry.

So the driver's coming April2nd from Razer will be official Vista certified ?......But that there are also a few other cards using the same 8788 chip ? ......But all of those are beta drivers and they seem a few months old, so either try an old beta driver, or wait for a fresh up to date official driver ?

I still dont know how to install that cMedia driver, every time I tried to install it, or force an install it would always report an error "CMedia hardware does not exist, please plug in and try again"
 
The guy I know that has the Razor running on X64 must be out or something. Soon as I get the info I will post it here for you. Then you can get your card running.
 
The guy I know that has the Razor running on X64 must be out or something. Soon as I get the info I will post it here for you. Then you can get your card running.

Thank's it would be nice to have killer sound + 4gb memory at the same time, what a concept Creative :rolleyes:

I hope this Barracuda sounds better than my X-Fi, and it allows for an optical out which I bought a nice 6' fiber optic cabel to connect to my brand new Logitech Z-5500's
 
Besides features offered by the card in digital mode. Digital sounds the same on most cards.
The X-fi cannot give you surround sound in games though. What will make the Razor stand out in digital mode is the options it gives such as realtime DD/DTS encoding. Your X-fi can't do better then stereo unless your watching encoded movie and using the proper software..
I would still prefer a good card that offers digital features if I wanted to go digital...
 
Besides features offered by the card in digital mode. Digital sounds the same on most cards.
The X-fi cannot give you surround sound in games though

I thought the X-Fi was the best card for gaming and surround sound ? So the 8788 chipset found on the Razer Barracuda is even better for surround gaming ?......Also my fiber optic connection to the Razer wont sound any better or worse than the three analog plug's ??
 
Besides features offered by the card in digital mode. Digital sounds the same on most cards.
The X-fi cannot give you surround sound in games though. What will make the Razor stand out in digital mode is the options it gives such as realtime DD/DTS encoding. Your X-fi can't do better then stereo unless your watching encoded movie and using the proper software..
I would still prefer a good card that offers digital features if I wanted to go digital...


I setup the card with the 1.10 drivers and had to manual install them through the Device Manager......But if I connect my fiber optic cable to the Logitech Z-5500 Control Center and then to the Digital Out on the soundcard I dont get any sound at all is just says "No Digital Data", so I had to connect it by three analog speaker plugs, so I am not sure if I am missing something here or the drivers didnt install properly, or I have a cheap FO cable ??

Playing WoW or listening to music in 6Ch Direct mode I am only getting sound out of the two front speaker's, not the center or rear ? But in my X-Fi card I could have sworn in that same mode I hear all 5 channels ?

Seems to be fixed so far at least in music, I set the Windows sound to 7.1 and now I hear all speakers working like they should, could not test WoW yet servers down this morning :)
 
The X-fi card does NOT have a encoder. So when using digital mode if the audio is not previously encoded you will only get stereo. You can get around this by using the analog cables. You can still leave the Digital connected becasue it will work great for DVD's
the Razor card and others have a digital encoder so you can encode your games realtime to either Dolby Digital or DTS. So to recap

When using digital a X-fi with only be in stereo unless your watching a DVD and using the proper software. So for gaming analog is the best choice here.
When using the Razor, everything is in surround sound. Depending on how you set the card either Dolby Digital or DTS.
Alot of people get rather mad when they find out there brand spanking new "State of the art" X-fi only does stereo when playing games over a digital connection. Considering it has a digital interface alot of people bought them for that purpose.
 
Back
Top