Issues with Unfi UAP-PRO-AC

m1abram

2[H]4U
Just picked up a Unfi UAP-PRO-AC. So far not very impressed with it. My aging Cisco WAP4410 while not liked by many has run perfectly (albeit slow for an N AP) without issues for years. Wanting to upgrade to both 5Ghz and AC I decided on this device since Unifi seems highly rated.

So far the thing is horrible. I am starting to wonder if I have a defective unit.

I have the controller software running on a debian server. At first I tried configuring the AP exactly as the AP it was replacing which had a WPA-Enterprise SSID on the default vlan (1), a WPA-Personal SSID on vlan 30 and a WPA-Personal SSID on vlan 40. This is exactly how the WAP4410 was configured and the Unifi was connected to the same switch port do vlan tagging should all just remain the same. Well the default vlan and the vlan 30 ssid while they would connect over wireless the clients could only ping the AP, not the gateway nothing. The vlan 40 SSID actually seemed to work just fine. I sshed into the unifi and try pinging google, gateway, etc. Those pings were fine. Except if I pinged anything but the gateway on the local network the unifi appear to lockup requiring me to pull power before it would respond again.

Then I ran into the adoption failed issue, constantly it would not adopt and then all the sudden it would with no change on my part.

I decided to go simple and reset the unifi and just set up a WPA-Personal on default. Same behavior as before where the wifi clients would connect but no network traffic would leave the unifi. In trying to debug this I noticed that I could not reliably ping the unifi, I would get massive packet loss pinging the unifi. Basically 3-4 packets and then it would just stop for 100-200 packets and repeat.

Any ideas before I take a hammer to this thing.

Sounds defective to me. I had issues as an early adopter of the original Unifi AC AP also. Took 3 months for my RMA...

Sounds defective to me. I had issues as an early adopter of the original Unifi AC AP also. Took 3 months for my RMA...

Yep after another 30 minutes I packed it up and sent an email out to get an rma. Being Christmas Eve I do not expect it to get a response until next week.

You ever get success with unifi? I may just ask for a refund and go a different route.

The 1st Gen Unifi AP and AP-LR have been relatively stable for me, but everything after it has been flaky. Recently, I've started playing with the Open-Mesh gear for smaller deployments and it's been pretty solid for me. I've got a variety of them out and about, but personally, right now I've got an OM2P-HS in my home and an MR1750 (dualband .ac) at the office. The cloud interface is pretty decent and they are continuously updating functionality as well. They recently release band-steering which is the one gotta-have feature for me on a dualband AP, and is the biggest hole in UBNT's feature set, other than stability. In my mind, either automate the process of integrating 5Ghz into a single SSID or don't bring it to market.

I'd look into the xclaim wireless ap's (division of ruckus) as well as the open mesh gear. Ubiquiti hasn't made a good AP in a while unfortunately...

Definently sounds defective. None of my Unifi-Pro-ACs have issues. All of the other UniFi APs that I manage also work fine.

So to my surprise Unifying Solution the company I ordered mine from got back to me and already shipped a replacement unit and provided a return label. Gotta say I love that response time for Christmas Eve, would have totally been fine with them getting back with me on Monday.

I'd look into the xclaim wireless ap's (division of ruckus) as well as the open mesh gear. Ubiquiti hasn't made a good AP in a while unfortunately...

Don't do it. Their focus for that division is so out of focus. I sent back all of my units about 6 months ago.

Don't do it. Their focus for that division is so out of focus. I sent back all of my units about 6 months ago.

It's pretty amazing how difficult it is to get a fast and reliable access point for non-insane prices nowadays, wtf is wrong with all these companies...

So to my surprise Unifying Solution the company I ordered mine from got back to me and already shipped a replacement unit and provided a return label. Gotta say I love that response time for Christmas Eve, would have totally been fine with them getting back with me on Monday.

That's surprising considering no one can even find them in stock anywhere. Where did you purchase?

It's pretty amazing how difficult it is to get a fast and reliable access point for non-insane prices nowadays, wtf is wrong with all these companies...

If you don't want to take my word hit their forums and you'll see that the whole platform is a work in progress, and IMO t;s in worse shape then UBNT. They don't want to kill the Ruckus market yet they don't want to be a polished Netgear. How to pull it off they are still figuring it out. Also the forums is messy when it comes to structure so you'll need to look all over the place for info.

Now for what the unit was meant to do it did for me well for the short time that I kept it.

If you don't want to take my word hit their forums and you'll see that the whole platform is a work in progress, and IMO t;s in worse shape then UBNT. They don't want to kill the Ruckus market yet they don't want to be a polished Netgear. How to pull it off they are still figuring it out. Also the forums is messy when it comes to structure so you'll need to look all over the place for info.

Now for what the unit was meant to do it did for me well for the short time that I kept it.

I believe you, it seems to be par for the course for the entire industry at this point...unless you want to spend exorbitant amounts of money :(

Back