Issues with O/C 2200+

Schmucker

[H]F Junkie
I just can't seem to get this thing to do anything even nice. Right now it's at 1929mhz, 14x137. I tried having a low multiplier and higher FSB, but it won't take anything over 145 and boot. Maybe the problem is that it is one of the first Thoroughbreds that one could buy. The motherboard is an AN7 that I just put in. The vcore is at 1.688, up from 1.656. I tried upping a little past 1.72 with higher multiplier and FSB to get it to boot, but it just don't want to. I have 512mb PC2700 Corsair w/heat spreader. Is there anything I can change with that to get a little more speed out of it? There are a few options in the bios for exhanced performance on the memory, but I don't know what to select and what'd be the safest. I'm somewhat in the dark about what is safe to do to overclock memory.
I'd like to get at least 2ghz on the processor. I just want a little more, nothing much. I'll probably buy a 3200+ when the price gets closer to $100, so I'm just experimenting with the 2200+.

you could always swap out your 2200+ for a mobile 35w 2200+... mine hits 2.5 ghz, and probably will go higher but i hvaen't tried..

anyways.. your memory is pc2700.. so it should go up to 166 at stock settings.. you should have no problems getting past 145 with that board...

set the memory to "spd" that means if will read the timings from the memory.. and at spd there is absolutely no reason it won't do 166... you can try setting it to 3-3-3-11.. and this should guaruntee 166 out of the memory and maybe let you get to 175 or so even.. also, are you sure your chip is unlocked? did you mod it to unlock it or what?

what are your temps right now? maybe you need a better heatsink.. what do you have?

you might just have to try 1.8v on the cpu though... is it 1.65 stock?

That's another thing I don't understand, I thought they locked the chips so they can't be overclocked, yet I can overclock mine. I didn't do anything to it. Maybe I misunderstood why they had to be unlocked. I can change the multiplier just fine.

Temps: at a complete idle it's about 43c, with my tinkering around and doing stuff it gets to about 50. It hasn't changed at all from what it was before. I've got a lapped copper cored heatsink with an aluminum body around it and an 80mm Delta with Artic Silver III transferring the heat.

I'll give the memory thing a try.

Tried setting it by SPD, it works, but I can't get any more FSB out of it. One odd thing I noticed was that it says the memory speed is 274mhz, at stock settings it says 266mhz. I'm pretty sure it should be 333mhz.

137 x 2 = 274.. that is why your memory says 274

try 166 x 10, that should get you to stock speed... then try to up the multi and see where you get...

It won't get to 166. It will only get to 140ish. It isn't really stable there.

if you can't get 166 at stock speed, then you might need to rma that mobo.. or run memtest on your ram and make sure its fine...

The memory checks out okay. It doesn't like to be set to anything too extreme though. I have it by speed and it won't boot at 137fsb. Do you think all of the problems are just because I haven't unlocked the chip, even though it seems capable of overclocking.

run da memory at slowest setting (i.e. 3-4-4-11) n then try 166.. if that still doesnt work increase the mem voltage..

so your cpu is locked? and you are trying to run it at different multis without it being unlocked? ok.. that's probably it.. i really have no idea what happens if you try to change the multi on a chip that is locked.. i did it on a pIII and it just kinda ignored me and set it back...

what core is your cpu? if it is palamino, i think they won't break 2 ghz.. that might it right there..

maybe you make a new post asking what core is my cpu, is it unlocked, etc.. since no one seems to want to answer this one for some reason..

Back