Issues with new GTX 570

Mack-

n00b
Joined
Oct 21, 2011
Messages
9
All - just got a new GIGABYTE GV-N570OC-13I Rev2.0

I am getting BSOD a few minutes into my BF3 gaming sessions with the new GTX570 I got (sometimes it just hangs up, but most often it goes to the BSOD). It's an upgrade from a GTX285, where I didnt have that problem.

Temps are ok, so not a heat issue.

I am wondering where to go next. Could an underpowered PSU cause this? It's a 700W 4 year old OCZ and perhaps I went over the treshold with the new card.

Thanks
 
I am pretty sure I did a good clean of the old drivers and installation of new ones (if that's what you meant). I uninstalled the old ones and got the latest from nvidia (I did do it after I installed the card though, not sure if that makes a difference). That said, I should give it another crack in case I made a mistake. (although now I am thinking.. I ran the CD that came with the card first that has some drivers, then went to the nvidia site and downloaded / installed the latest drivers.. could that do it? I thought when the one from the nvidia site ran it first removes any old drivers)

What process would you recommend I follow to ensure a good clean up of drivers (recommended software to double check what drivers are still installed that may need removal?)? I imagine it should be as simple as cleanup drivers and installation of new ones (no removal of card needed in the process?).
 
Also, would it be possible the card has an issue with it's OC it came with? (bum card?) To check that should I change the clocks to something less (closer to what a stock card would have)?
 
Normally, uninstalling everything nvidia related then starting again should be sufficient. If you feel like it will help, consider using driversweeper. Honestly though, the fact you get freezes as well as BSODs raises the possibility of you having a faulty card.
 
Anytime I get new hardware I always format and do a clean OS install. That eliminates some possible issues too
 
What are the rest of your specs? Please be as detailed as possible. Links even to the components would be awesome.
 
I know people that do it, and I can see why. Stems from your experiences. I've only once encountered a hardware change issue that mandated a reformat, and it was a faulty card to blame (a faulty card causing a parasitic driver bug that infected the system after the card was removed, only Asus!). Generally speaking, in the worst case an AMD express uninstall is enough.
 
New PSU. Stick with a Corsair 750. The rails on that 4 year old OCZ obviously are not supporting the power draw from the card and to the mobo. Known too many issues with OCZ psu's from that time period. The rails amps doesn't match the wattage at all.
 
New PSU. Stick with a Corsair 750. The rails on that 4 year old OCZ obviously are not supporting the power draw from the card and to the mobo. Known too many issues with OCZ psu's from that time period. The rails amps doesn't match the wattage at all.

+1

Brave man running a new GTX570 on that 4 year old OCZ, No way I would have done it. When I purchased mine back in July I just figured it would be wise and go with a proven Seasonic. Been cruising along now for 3 months without a hitch.
 
I wouldn't say I'm brave, just still learning.

750 enough or should I go for 850 just to be safe?
 
I wouldn't say I'm brave, just still learning.

750 enough or should I go for 850 just to be safe?
did you list your other specs because that also determines what power supply you need? no matter what though, a high quality 750 watt psu is WAY more than enough for a gtx570. my system in sig pulls no more than 380 watts at the wall for the highest peak I have seen.
 
All - just got a new GIGABYTE GV-N570OC-13I Rev2.0

I am getting BSOD a few minutes into my BF3 gaming sessions with the new GTX570 I got (sometimes it just hangs up, but most often it goes to the BSOD). It's an upgrade from a GTX285, where I didnt have that problem.

Temps are ok, so not a heat issue.

I am wondering where to go next. Could an underpowered PSU cause this? It's a 700W 4 year old OCZ and perhaps I went over the treshold with the new card.

Thanks

Confirm the voltage that card is running at. I would bet dollars you're at 0.975v. If so, install the MSI Afterburner software and start ticking your voltage up a little at a time and checking stability. I have an OC model of the GTX570 that won't run for shit at stock voltage. I upped it a bit and it works fine at reference, OoB OC, and I have it stable at 800-1600-2000 at 1.025v.
 
Back
Top