• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

issues with my client onboard network adapter.

Joined
Feb 22, 2009
Messages
928
Hi Guys
I was over at my client shop yesterday doing some work on there computers and there is one computer that is a dell that uses a intel pro 10/100 on board network adapter. The issue is that if you leave the computer alone for 10 mins and open internet explorer it would just say connecting....... and when I try to ping like google I would just get request timed out. But soon as you restart the computer it connects just fine but if you leave it alone again for 5mins and try to open internet explorer it would just say connecting.....

there is a linksys router in the mix and also I just upgraded customers anti virus program to CA internet security 2010 and we did a full system scan and it didnt come up with any viruses or spyware.

I am out of ideas what it could be.

any ideas?
 
can you ping the router?
does it still have a valid IP?
scanned for malware?
ping any other computers in the office?
tried updating the NIC drivers?
 
it was doing this away before I even installed CA internet security and yes I can ping the gateway 192.168.1.1 just fine but cant ping anything else. yes I did a full system scan for malware with malwarebytes and it didnt show up with any malware. I have not tried to update the drivers for the network card so what I am probley going end up doing is update the drivers or just install a pci network card.
 
well if you can still ping the router, then chances are it's not a pc-hardware related issue.

when you try to ping a website, let's just say google.com, what is the error message it gives you? does it just say reply timed out? or does it fail to resolve the domain name to an IP?

and you say you can't ping anything... even other computers? tried pinging by IP instead of hostname/domain name?

something else you may try is; from a command prompt:
netsh int ip reset reset.log
netsh winsock reset

then reboot
 
I have tried to ping google.com and 209.143.0.10 both got requested timed out. I even tried to do the netsh int ip rest resetlog.txt and that still didnt fix it. I didnt do the winsock reset. but whats weird if you restart the computer it would work but when you leave it alone for 5mins it wouldnt connect intill you restarted the computer.
 
Ping another machine on your local subnet.

I'm pretty certain this is a problem with the network stack or your router. I'd blame your firewall too.
 
I will have to do that when I go back over there sometime. It cant be the router because there is 2 other routers that are attached to this main router and they work just fine. Wireless on the laptop works just fine but its just this desktop that is hardwired into the router is the issue.
 
Get a Linux live distribution like Ubuntu and boot from it. Use the included web browser to browse around or just ping something like google.com constantly. If everything works fine, you've got a software problem, if not, then it's probably hardware - most likely the NIC or router it's connected to.
 
Did you check your power settings? Similar to USB devices, Windows might be turning off the NIC to save power.
 
Did you check your power settings? Similar to USB devices, Windows might be turning off the NIC to save power.

that would be the next thing to check.

I have heard where Windows "shuts off" the LAC, but never "turns it on" when it's needed again, and would require a reboot; OR, you could disable/reenable the LAC from Network Connections window and see if that does anything.
 
alright I replaced the nic card its still doing it. I checked the power saver and I turned that off and restarted the computer still doing the same thing. I just did the ip reset and winsock reset to see if that fixes the problem.

just a update the ip and winsock still didnt fix the problem and after I do disable and reenable it works about 5 mins then it wount connect.
 
well my client is going ahead and replace the router since 3 computers cant connect after 5mins either on hard wire connection or wireless connection. yes I have tried to update the firmware and that didnt fix the problem.
 
Last edited:
if it's a DSL connection that uses PPPoE and requires authentication, could be something as simple as a typo in the username or password.

that is, unless those 3 computers are the only 3, out of more, that can't connect.
 
well a update the customer bought a new router that is a linksys n router now the issue is that when the laptop connects wireless it can browse ok but the computer that is hardwired into the router cant. But after waiting 2 mins the computer that is hard wired to the router can browse but the laptop cant connect and browse by wireless. Any ideas what it could be because I am thinking its the ethernet cable coming from router to the wireless box.

this connection that my client have is wireless connection and its pppoe. (yes I work for this local ISP as call tech support tier 1 and this is the only connection they can get from any ISP's out here)
 
wait... what?
they have a router and a separate wireless router?
what's the "wireless box?"

I'm confused to what the setup is :confused:
 
they have wireless router and they have high speed wireless internet connection they have a little black wireless radio. this who they have http://wabash.com

I think we narrowed it down it might be the high speed wireless connection modem or signal.
 
Last edited:
they have wireless router and they have high speed wireless internet connection they have a little black wireless radio. this who they have http://wabash.com

I think we narrowed it down it might be the high speed wireless connection modem or signal.

ohhhhhhh ok. I missed that in the last post....

there's absolutely no reason for only 1 to get online at a time. It's gotta be a configuration issue somewhere.

does the wireless modem have any kind of logging feature that may show if it's been dropping the wireless signal?
 
well today soon as I got to work I looked at the customers login history and it was showing port errors but we dont have a tool to check the wireless signal from there at the tech support level only the main office haves that tool. So today I am going to call over there main office and have them test it.

this problem as been going on for 2 weeks now and we tried 2 different routers and same results.
 
it's definitely possible it's a signal issue, or possibly even the modem.
 
Back
Top