Issues with Gigabyte GA-Z87N-Wifi

Blorgon

Limp Gawd
This was (and is) my first build ever. Slapped this sucker together in a Prodigy. Looking to do my second build sometime in the next few weeks, and I'm planning on recycling all these parts except the PSU, which is more than my system needs, and the HDD, which is fat and slow and stupid.

Here's what I've got:

Intel i5 4670 (non-K)

Corsair Vengeance 8GB, DDR3-1600

Western Digital Green 1TB

Samsung EVO 250GB (OS + games)

I used to have a GTX 770 in here, but I sold it since I'm not playing much these days because of school. The PSU is a SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum.

Here are the issues:

1. After noticing that my computer had been waking itself from sleep, I changed it so my ethernet couldn't wake the computer, but that hasn't helped. This happens almost every time I sleep the computer (which is my preferred method; see below), and I can't figure out for the life of me why it happens (I disconnected the wifi antenna, and the wifi a while back, since I'm using ethernet). Is it possible that my KB/M are somehow waking the computer?
  2. Every once in a while, when waking the computer from sleep, the computer will instead restart into a safe boot menu.
  3. A few times now, my computer has randomly blue-screened. Never has it been while under load, and I know I'm not under-powered. As far as I can tell, this has never happened after an update either; it seems random.
  4. Finally, and this is the most frustrating, starting about two months ago my computer sometimes won't power my mouse and keyboard and USB audio interface after hard booting. I'll be able to use my keyboard in the safe boot menu, but once Windows loads, the keyboard will stop working, as well as the mouse. Sometimes their lights are on, sometimes off. I end up having to use the case's restart button, and unplugging the USB connections until after Windows loads, and this always works.

When I looked this up, people mentioned that it could be the motherboard in its death throes. I saw a lot of people saying that this issue was common with Gigabyte motherboards. People suggested unplugging the power cable from the power supply for a few hours, to drain the CMOS battery. I tried that, and the computer hard booted okay, but the issue promptly returned every time I shut the computer down all the way. Open Hardware Monitor lists the battery voltage at 3.240V.

Thanks for taking the time to read the entire post. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

[EDIT: I'm no longer able to RMA, as I purchased the components more than 30 days ago.]

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I updated the BIOS (was three generations behind), but I was still having the hardboot issues with my USB peripherals in Windows 7, so I went ahead and upgraded to 8.1 (something I've been putting off for a while anyway). So far, everything is fine.

I am not sure if this is the case but with haswell there is a super low powerstate that the cpu tries to go into like c6 or c7 and if the power supply cannot dish out proper voltage things go wacky. You might check in the bios to disable deep sleep or what ever it is called. Also double check to make sure your ps is haswell compliant (as the chip now contains voltage regulator), but I think disabling feature negates getting a new power supply.

I'm using an SS-660XP2, which supports Haswell.

I think the problem was that I was using an old BIOS version. It's silly, because I would regularly check the mobo site for driver updates, but never thought to check for BIOS updates :facepalm.

A few days now with Windows 8.1, and everything is running smooth (except for application hotkeys, UGH).

Back