Issues with cable internet connectivity

Archer75

Supreme [H]ardness
I've had this ongoing issue since December. The issue is I lose all internet connectivity but the lights on my motorolla surfboard cable modem don't go out. They are all on as if there is no problem.
To resolve the issue I have to unplug the modem, wait 10 seconds and plug it back in. Wait for the lights to come back on and i'm on the net again. This happens several times throughout the day on average. It seems to mostly be related to me doing large downloads but not always.
So that has me thinking I need to replace the modem. However another person in my neighborhood is having the same exact problem which makes me think it's the cable company and not our modems(we both have the same modem, I own mine, he rents his).

I have contacted comcast about this and they did all the tests on their end and found nothing wrong. They can send someone out but if it ends up being an issue with my modem or wiring I have to pay a service charge which i'd really rather not do.

So any ideas?

I had a simlar issue and here is what I did.

Cable modem went out one night. Called comcast and they couldnt see the modem. They sent a tech out and said the line was week. Since it was on the second story he said that he "didnt" have the tools to run this. He lent us a modem that would take a weaker signel so that our service was working. We then re ran everything in the entire house mimaizing breaks in the cable. He then came back and re ended everything and still the orginal cable modem didnt work. But the single increased.

Turns out the cable modem was bad. Order a new one and it was good to go. I would say have a tech come out and if its a cool guy they usally dont charge you. But things to check would be try plugging it in as soon as it comes in the house and see if it drops then.

Back