Issues starting with previously solid build

Sturmangriff

Limp Gawd
My current main rig has been solid for almost 3 years and has started to have issues related to the hard drives in the past 2 weeks. I have 4 hard drives installed on my MSI Z87 Mpower which is powered by a Corsair AX 760.

Kingston 120GB SSD (OS)
Crucial 240GB SSD (games)
Seagate 3TB (media/games)
WD Black 3TB (games)

The problems started a few weeks ago when trying to update games thru Steam or the games launcher on the WD Black. The updates would just hang with the case hd activity light solid, the only way I could fix it would be to reboot. Whenever I tried to move data (mainly large game folders) on or off the drive the transfer would hang and fail about 50% of the time with the drive then disappearing from windows until a reboot.

I checked the cable (which is the built in Corsair Air 540 cable) and moved it to a different SATA port on the mobo which seems to have fixed the problem with transfers/updates on that drive. However new issues are now arising on the 240GB SSD, Seagate 3TB, and WD Black 3TB while gaming.

On multiple games the 240GB SSD will hang for at least 30 seconds randomly with the hd activity light solid. The games will eventually recover if left alone long enough and the hd activity light will return to normal. The same thing has also happened on the Seagate and WD with different games and the hangs being shorter, maybe 5-15 seconds.

I have checked all the physical connections and checked the SMART on the drives with the WD software and SSDLife programs and they all come back healthy. The Crucial SSD shows 10 years left and the Kingston shows 8 years left. I also reinstalled the Intel RST software and cleaned/reinstalled my Nvidia drivers on my GTX 1080.

Any ideas on what is going on or what to try next? FWIW my motherboard warranty runs out in 12 days. Thanks for taking the time to read all of this.

Only thing I can suggest would be a full reinstall of Windows. If that doesn't fix it, RMA the board before your warranty runs out.

Hirens disk.

Back off overclock and see if it helps.

Check temps. Maybe some TIM got crusty or some fans are clogged.

Check Application and System logs in Windows for little red X's and yellow exclamation marks.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I checked my temps and they were all good. Looking at the logs...the Application logs were all fine but there were some System log warnings: "Event ID 129 – storachi – Reset to device, DeviceRaidPort0, was issued" warnings,which lined up with the freezing events, which I am reading up on now. I have always run a High Performance power setting and my Link State Power Management was already set to off but I am finding more info on the subject. I have started the RMA process with MSI just in case I can't flush the gremlins out. It's weird these issues just came out of nowhere after being such a solid build. I'll post an update as needed in case someone has a similar issue in the future. If anyone else has another suggestion they are more than welcome. Thanks again.

You might try reinstalling the latest chipset drivers from Intel and see if that helps, as it might have been a windows update .

Probably one drive is causing this.

Do you have a spare drive you can use for testing?

Image your main boot drive to the good spare and run like that to see if the problem clears.
If not, wipe the spare and move on to swapping out the spare with a different drive.

I have an old 160GB WD spinner drive I was using to store backup images and it ran kinda ok and
passed all diags, but it still kept doing some kind of thermal re-calibration all the time and was
just not running normally. I replaced it with a Hitachi 2TB spinner from Amazon for $53 and the system
is running better now.

Back