issues connecting to the net with windows xp

Hi all,

I'm having an issue:

I've recently re-installed windows xp from a very old CD onto one of my laptops. it includes only service pack 1 and I'm having great difficulty connecting to the net. (everything was working fine before the reinstall).

I have a router/firewall that is set up at 192.168.42.1 and uses DHCP to assign local addresses.

I have two other computers, a work laptop running winxp sp2 and an desktop running debian linux, both are connecting to the net fine.

the winxpsp2 laptop merely uses the "obtain IP address automatically" setting in the tcp/ip properties and works fine.

I did the same for the fresh installed laptop and it couldn't connect. I manually set the IP address (192.168.42.4 which doesn't clash with the other two (at .2 and .3) and the subnet mask at 255.255.255.0 as usual and the gateway was 192.168.42.1 as per my router.

no joy... much cursing and rebooting.

I switched out the network cable with one I knew worked. I even went as far as getting a knoppix liveCD and running it...... it connected with absolutely no problems first time. so I know my network card is working.

then I went and ran ipconfig and got exactly this:

Code:
c:\>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

c:\>_

erm.. help? I've never seen that before.... ever.... no information whatsoever. where do I look next short of re-installing XP?

(no, I can't convert to Linux entirely, I am a .net developer and need my laptop to be running xp. :( )

Is the NIC working? Did you re-install the device drivers when you reinstalled XP? Does Device Manager show any problems?

Are you sure XP had drivers for your NIC ?

Check the device manager. Is the NIC up and running properly?

Also, you should take your XP SP1 CD and create a slipstreamed SP2 CD.

It's not hard the old fashioned way (just search google for the process) and it's downright simple with nLite.

If you've never used it, nLite is one amazing piece of free software.

-Larry

*cough* damn I feel like an idiot.... knoppix obviously came with drivers, I just installed drivers for the nic.... now it works...

you'd think that xp would come with drivers for stuff, especially after taking 45mins to install, when linux installs in a quarter of that time and has drivers for anything

</rant>

thank you!

Back