• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Issues booting ESXi 5 with PCI-E RAID card

HalfJawElite

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 2, 2012
Messages
111
Hey guys,

Recently bought an Intel RS2WC040 RAID card for my home ESXi server so that I can use it with pass-through to Server 2008 R2. My plans are to use it with Server 2008 R2 as a file server without having to create virtual hard drives to mount to the vm. My issue now is that ESXi hangs on boot up at the "loading module megaraid_sas" driver load. Should I try just re-installing the hypervisor to fix the issue or is there another workaround?

My servers specs are as follows:
Intel i7-3930K
ASUS P9X79 WS
8 x 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz Corsair XMS3 low profile
2 x 500GB WD Black's for running vm's
1 LG super-multi DVD burner (SATA)
1 Intel RS2WC040 RAID PCI-E card

Any solutions you know of will be much appreciated! So far I have only found reports of this issue and no guaranteed solutions.

UPDATE:

I have downloaded the newest drivers from Intel for ESXi 5.0 U1 but have been completely unable to install the drivers. Has anyone ever had any experience installing VIB files from a local datastore using the ESXi Shell interface?
 
Last edited:
IIRC (don't have a host up in front of me) it's
esxupdate --bundle=YOURVIBHERE.vib update
 
IIRC (don't have a host up in front of me) it's
esxupdate --bundle=YOURVIBHERE.vib update

Ok thanks for telling me the correct command. My problem now is that the datastores on my system have messed up names. In vSphere Client my datastores show up as the correct names I gave them (Storage1 and Storage2), but when I look at the path it lists /vmfs/volumes/(ex: 5hfjk-576ngj-4985nmf) a rather long string on letters and numbers! Is this supposed to be happening or did the host not change the names of the datastores correctly? I've read that this happens when you update the hypervisor from a previous edition and upgrade the datastores to the newer software, but these are brand new WD Black's. There was never a partition on them and this happened. Is there a workaround to fixing this or can I install the new vib or zip file differently?
 
The pretty name is a symlink in the same location. The other name is the UUID of the VMFS volume and what ESX uses internally. :)

Do ls -l in /vmfs/volumes, you'll see :)
 
Back
Top