Issue with sharing some video files

jazzman161

Limp Gawd
I've come across a weird one here that I never noticed til just now since I got my HTPC up and running.

I've got part of my movie collection backed up on my rig (as .mkv's) and that includes a few hd-dvd movies. Well my HTPC, as well as my laptop, can see the entire shared Movie folder and every subdirectory under it but the two folders containing the hd-dvd .mkv's are blank. Neither my laptop nor HTPC see any files in those two folders.

I also have one .iso that I've yet to rip to .mkv that is experiencing the same issue.

All systems are on windows 7. The main rig is 64 bit while the laptop and htpc are 32 bit. They are all connected with two wireless bridged, tomato firmware based routers.

Any ideas?

edit: After doing some investigating, I don't think it has anything to do with hidef material. Random dvds are also showing just blank folders. =/

edit again: Found the proble, but don't know how to correct it w/o going through each folder individually. Even though the main "Movies" folder is shared to "Everybody", that permission is going through all the way down to some of the actually .mkv files. Some files end up only shared to the local computer name. If I manually change to "Everyone" for that file, boom!, file shows up on the network. So the question now is, how do I pass down that setting to ALL files under the main folder w/o doing each manually.

Last edited:
When you open the security on the parent Movies folder, hit the button that says Advanced...

Set up the permissions the way you want them.... Then check the box that says "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" ... Then click OK.

This will cause the permissions to propagate all the way down the tree.

Back