Issue with RT-N56U Router - Time for replacement?

jnick

2[H]4U
There are three RT-N56U routers in my family. I have one as does my dad and uncle. Bought all 3 about a year ago. They've been rock solid since.

However, my dad has been complaining of network issues, mainly lag and slow response. During Christmas yesterday, I took some time to troubleshoot it which ended in disaster. He was on an older firmware so I had updated it. After the update, the wireless would drop every 5-10 minutes after the router rebooted. I tried rolling back the firmware and there is still the same issue.

I reboot the router, wireless comes up and within 10 minutes, the wireless is down.

Most of the clients on the network are iDevices. There are two iPod Touches, 4 iPad Mini's and iPad, two iPhones and an Apple TV, all wireless. Other than that, there is a PS3 and a bunch of wired clients.

Looking in the routers logs, it appears that at least one device keeps requesting a DHCP request even though it has an address. Then at some point, the router spits out this error in the log:

Code:
kernel: Qidx(0), not enough space in MgmtRing, MgmtRingFullCount=20!

That error just keeps counting up, starting at 1 -- Based on google info it's related to wireless drops due to ASUS firmware issue with certain wireless cards. My guess is one of the new devices has a card that they don't support, causing this issue.

Before he goes out and buys a new router, any suggestions on what I can try to do to fix this?

Otherwise, what router would be recommended? I was stating to think, since he has so many iDevices on his network, an Airport Extreme? Or is there something better he should go with?

Thanks!

Back