Issue with powered off computer hogging my internet

Scoobydo

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I have a strange problem occurring on my network. This problem has been happening since an upgrade to Windows 10.

The issue is that even when a machine is powered off, it ends up transmitting over the internet and bogging down my internet connection. I'm not sure how a powered off computer is connecting to something on the internet and transmitting. It could be a windows 10 thing. Something else. I have no clue.

But anyways. According to my router, the machine is downloading from the following IP address.

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator>tracert 191.234.4.50

Tracing route to c-0001.c-msedge.net [191.234.4.50]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  balance-65dc [192.168.1.1]
  2     1 ms     *        1 ms  63.159.254.1
  3    61 ms    33 ms     7 ms  stc-edge-04.inet.qwest.net [65.120.10.105]
  4   141 ms   141 ms     8 ms  stc-core-01.inet.qwest.net [205.171.166.33]
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6   154 ms   150 ms   139 ms  104.44.81.60
  7   283 ms   137 ms   147 ms  10.201.195.12
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11   128 ms   144 ms   144 ms  c-0001.c-msedge.net [191.234.4.50]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Administrator>

It seems to be a Microsoft thing... But what is it doing on the powered off computer?

Does anybody have any idea? Its happened twice in the last 2 weeks. And it transmits and bogs down my connection for hours.

Your router is wrong, a computer off won't download anything irregardless of OS. If anything it'll do WoL which is local network only.
//Danne

Well, since upgrading to windows 10, another computer (not the one above) is powering itself on. It happens at the same time every night. There is no Wake on Lan enabled.

I will double check the MAC addresses in the router vs. the computer and see if I have them labeled wrong though. Thanks.

Are you sure you are completely shutting that computer down? Or is it in that hybrid sleep mode? Disable hibernation (powercfg -h off) and do a shutdown. Computer with WOL will not turn itself on. If you sleep the computer then it can turn itself on even with all wake up timers disabled and going into your device manager and disabling all "Allow this device to turn on your computer". I had that happen to me for the first week when I installed Win10. But since the last 3 weeks it hasn't happened again. What I did was disable the computer's "sleep after x min" so the computer would not auto sleep/hibernate so I knew when it woke itself up.

If you want to be 100% sure, then unplug the power to your computer.

To clarify by off I mean powered off, not sleep mode etc.
A computer powering up by itself isn't caused by the operating system, there's also Wake on USB (keyb, mouse etc) and timers no to mention hardware related.
//Danne

Alright. I checked my MAC addresses and such and it was mislabeled. It's another computer, and I am guessing its downloading Windows 10 at the moment.

Thanks guys. Sometimes its a PEBCAK issue.

Back