Issue with Norton Ghost v9

SBMongoos

[H]ard|Gawd
Not sure why but I've started having trouble backing up a drive. It's setup as D. A full drive this is not a paritioned drive.

When I go to do a Ghost backup I get the following error but I don't understand it.

Backup of D:\ did not complete successfully. Error E7C3000F: Device \\.\PQV2iSnap Shot1 cannot read 4,096 sectors starting at LBA 33,646,152. Error 00000$%D: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (0xE7C000F).

Any ideas on how to correct this? I did run Norton Disk Doctor on a reboot and noticed it was doing quite a bit. But I still get the same error when trying to backup the drive.

Thanks!

Sounds like the drive might be failing. Why are you trying to Ghost it?

If you are using the corporate version of Ghost, you can add the -bfc and -fro switches at the command line. That will force Ghost to continue when it encounters drive errors.

It's Norton Ghost 9. Not sure how I'd ad the switches. Drive seems to work fine though.

It definitely does sound like a drive error though. You might want to try doing a full surface scan of it just to make sure. What filesystem is on that drive?

SBMongoos said:
Not sure how I'd ad the switches.
You'd need to open the Ghost exe through the command line or add the switches to the shortcut if launching from within Windows.

I ran Maxtor's utilty on the disk and rec'd no errors. Ran the top three tests on the list. 4th was 'Burn In' so I didn't do that test.

Y2KE:

I don't have the corporate version of the software. Can I still use the command line option?

Also, what is the point if Ghost is giving this error. If I backup it up using the switches then I have a bad copy to restore then right?

You should be able to go into the options in the Ghost GUI and select the switches. This is assuming Ghost is being run from it's proper DOS environment.

SBMongoos said:
Y2KE:

I don't have the corporate version of the software. Can I still use the command line option?

Also, what is the point if Ghost is giving this error. If I backup it up using the switches then I have a bad copy to restore then right?
I believe that those command line options are still valid for the retail version of Ghost. The point of using those switches is that the bad sections of the drive might have unimportant or replaceable data. For example, it might be some files for a program you have installed; you could just reinstall that program. It just depends on where the bad spots are on the drive, as how many there are.

Back