Issue with NFS and chmod

Cheetoz

[H]ard|Gawd
my nfs server is a debian box. my macbook is the client. i want the folders im exporting to be read/write only. So i chmod the folder 766. But finder tells me it does not have permission to access the folder. I set it to 777, (not changing the owner/group), and it works!

If I set the folder to 755, I can actually access it, but of course not write anything.

any ideas? :confused:
or if i need to give more info or something

"read/write only"? Leaving out the ability to do what, exactly? In Unix, you must have the ability to "execute" a directory in order to traverse it. So, the permisions need to be at least rx, or 5. 766 would be owner everything, group read and write (but not execute, so effectively can't read if it is a directory), and everyone read and write (but not execute, so effectively can't read if it is a directory).

oh, I didn't know execute was used in opening folders.

I guess I have to 777 everything.

thanks.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_permissions

Basic Permissions

There are three specific permissions on Unix-like systems that apply to each class:

* The read permission, which grants the ability to read a file. When set for a directory, this permission grants the ability to read the names of files in the directory (but not to find out any further information about them, including file type, size, ownership, permissions, etc.)
* The write permission, which grants the ability to modify a file. When set for a directory, this permission grants the ability to modify entries in the directory. This includes creating files, deleting files, and renaming files.
* The execute permission, which grants the ability to execute a file. This permission must be set for executable binaries in order to allow the operating system to run them. When set for a directory, this permission grants the ability to traverse its tree in order to access files or subdirectories, but not see files inside the directory (unless read is set).

oh, I didn't know execute was used in opening folders.

I guess I have to 777 everything.

thanks.

you shouldn't have to 777 everything. The directories will need read/execute, but you should be able to set the files within the directories to the permissions you want.

Back