issue with new network

Rustic

Limp Gawd
So i setup an Asus RTN66U router with an HP 1800 24 port switch. Ive got 2 PC's,xbox,cablebox, and wii(wireless).

So about every 5 minutes or so, it seems I lose connection. Its very apparant when I play BF3 cause it will close the game and say connection with server timed out.

My question is how should I troubleshoot this. How do i pinpoint router, switch, or modem or something im missing. sorry for the vague question but im ignorant on this.

PS:I did run all wiring myself so it may be something I did that is causing it.

Last edited:
I would start simple and work my way back. Connect your PC directly to your cable box and run it and see if the problem still exits. If it goes away add a piece back starting with the Router then the switch.

I'm going out on a limb but I am going to blame the ProCurve here.

Also what KevinO said is true start with your cable box and work your way backwards, ending with the ProCurve.

You could also see if your modem is spitting out errors.

why would it be the switch, i thought it was highly regarded. I did buy it used. I havent done any configuring to it. not sure if it can be.

Played BF3 and I had one drop off in about 2 hours. so it did better tonight but i will try your suggestions.

Its not your switch.

It is probably your cable provider. There is probably a duplexing issue or you are getting CRC errors between the cable modem and your router.

1. Change the cable between cable modem and router.
2. Have your cable provider log in and see what is wrong with the modem if any, ask them to look for CRC errors on the ethernet port, check for noise down the line.
3. Your router might need to have the latest firmware reflashed and if it is the latest I would flash the same firmware over top of it to make sure that it has no corruption from the factory.
4. Check your HP switch for CRC errors between the switch and your PC and switch and router if that is how it is connected.
5. Change your duplex on your router if possible to manual 100mbps Full Duplex. You probably do not have more than 100mbps to the internet so you do not need to be running at a GIG between the modem and the router. It will not make things any faster. But forcing it to 100 might make things stabalize for you.
6. We havent gone this far yet but make sure you have QoS disabled on the Asus Router.

After you do all that let us know what it looks like for you.

There are 7 layers to networking the first being the physical layer, cabling etc.... We need to rule that out before assuming it is anything else. The 2nd layer is your switch. Lets try and see if it is physical first.

does that mean i have to configure the switch?

I did update the firmware on the router and that seemed to help.

I have that same router, but no switch....

My setup -

ISP > Cable Modem > Router >

all 4 computers in the house run wirelessly, two desktops and two laptops... Also have a Kindle Fire HD and Roku player connected wirelessly as well.

Not sure why you have a switch in the mix unless you need your two PC's to communicate back and forth behind the router... For troubleshooting, I'd remove the switch and have your gaming PC connected to the router (wired or wirelessly) to see if the problem persists... if it does, you've narrowed it down to NOT being the switch.

Last edited:
This is easy to test. Set an IP on VLAN 1 of the switch to an IP within your subnet.

Leave a running ping to the switch's IP, and also a running ping to the IP of your gateway, and a running ping to a fixed IP on the internet, google's DNS for instance (8.8.8.8)

cmd example: "ping 192.168.1.1 -t"

You can tell by which pings succeed/fail where the issue may be.

Its not your switch.

It is probably your cable provider. There is probably a duplexing issue or you are getting CRC errors between the cable modem and your router.

1. Change the cable between cable modem and router.
2. Have your cable provider log in and see what is wrong with the modem if any, ask them to look for CRC errors on the ethernet port, check for noise down the line.
3. Your router might need to have the latest firmware reflashed and if it is the latest I would flash the same firmware over top of it to make sure that it has no corruption from the factory.
4. Check your HP switch for CRC errors between the switch and your PC and switch and router if that is how it is connected.
5. Change your duplex on your router if possible to manual 100mbps Full Duplex. You probably do not have more than 100mbps to the internet so you do not need to be running at a GIG between the modem and the router. It will not make things any faster. But forcing it to 100 might make things stabalize for you.
6. We havent gone this far yet but make sure you have QoS disabled on the Asus Router.

After you do all that let us know what it looks like for you.

There are 7 layers to networking the first being the physical layer, cabling etc.... We need to rule that out before assuming it is anything else. The 2nd layer is your switch. Lets try and see if it is physical first.

best guidance:)

Back