Issue with my new videocard (9800 Pro)

XorSystem

Weaksauce
Okay, I recently ordered a new card from New Egg, it's the Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 256 meg, and I also got the Arctic Cooling HSF unit for it. I plugged it in last night and noticed that I had issues with drivers immediately. I uninstalled and reinstalled them multiple times, up to this point to where I boot fine and I run fine...

unfortunately, when anything 3D comes up, I get TONS of artifacts.... anything from long yellow lines to huge miscolored triangles. I was reviewsing my hardware, and realized that I only have a 320W power supply, which I know is too small...

my dilemma is this.... do I know that this issue is directly related to the power supply? I don't have any artifacting on my desktop at all, only when it goes into 3d (oddily, not even Winamp plugins artifact). Is this a good chance that my power supply is the main factor?

My other issue is that if the GPU is fucked up, I need to find a place where I can get those stupid pushpins needed to secure the stock HSF with the card, so I can RMA it. I can't find for the life of me, online, where they are or even what they're called. Any help is appreciated:) thanks:)

You should have tested the card with the stock heatsink before doing any modifications.

Since you didn't list the rest of your specs it's hard to guess if your power supply is good enough. Unless you have a lot of stuff in your computer a quality 320W unit should be fine, though.

Try cleaning the GPU area with some rubbing alcohol, especially if you used Arctic Silver for the Silencer.

Thanks for making me and the rest of consumers pay for you broken warranty...

Terra - Sarcasm could have been applied in this post...

It was tested with the stock fan on it, and it indeed had them still, so thats why I splurged on the cooler because many people said that the stock cooling isn't good enough for this particular card

and Terra, you can take your piece of trash attitude elsewhere, I didn't pay in euros so what's your issue?

Terra said:
Thanks for making me and the rest of consumers pay for you broken warranty...

Terra - Sarcasm could have been applied in this post...
upgrade your PSU like......stat d00d

Sarcasm, it beats killing people ;)

soulsaver_8229

let me make it clear that I am not out to screw anyone over, if I was, I would have RMA'd it already, without taking into consideration all the stuff I've done

I've gotten many different reports from people, everything from bad drivers, to bad HSF connection, to bad PSU...

Try troubleshooting then........go to a store, buy a 480 true Antec from staples for like 100 bucks, then take it home hook it up, if it boots keep it, if not take it back and try something else.....

soulsaver_8229

XorSystem said:
and Terra, you can take your piece of trash attitude elsewhere, I didn't pay in euros so what's your issue?

This is my issue:

I need to find a place where I can get those stupid pushpins needed to secure the stock HSF with the card, so I can RMA it. I can't find for the life of me, online, where they are or even what they're called.

It's called FRAUD :)
And that is apperntly why you can't find those pins...no one endorses FRAUD.....be it in $ or €

Terra - As a sidenote..we don't have €'s in Denmark..you learn something new every day ;)

you are a total moron...

if you have nothing better than moral judgments to aide me in my issue, then save them for someone who cares

Try a bigger psu, but first just try installing different drivers (older or newer)

XorSystem said:
you are a total moron...

if you have nothing better than moral judgments to aide me in my issue, then save them for someone who cares

At least I don't have to use fraud ;)

Terra - But unlike you I don't have to resort to namecalling to get my points through ;)

Terra said:
At least I don't have to use fraud ;)

Terra - But unlike you I don't have to resort to namecalling to get my points through ;)

Way to help with his problem Terra.

You work for HP tech support, don't you?

Komataguri said:
Way to help with his problem Terra.

I am adressing his "second" issue:

XorSystem said:
My other issue is that if the GPU is fucked up, I need to find a place where I can get those stupid pushpins needed to secure the stock HSF with the card, so I can RMA it..

He said that:

XorSystem said:
Any help is appreciated

I am just helping him to be aware of not commiting FRAUD, wich I belive is a Federal Offence in the US, please corret me if I am wrong? :)

Komataguri said:
You work for HP tech support, don't you?

No, but thanks for the interest in my employment :)
Not that it's on topic or anything...

Terra - Funny how FRAUD makes people angry :rolleyes:

The whole myth of PSU upgrade seems that: just a myth - to a certain point of course. Your 320W PSU should be more than enough. I only use a 300W PSU and it runs a 2.53Ghz P4, X800XL AGP, 1GB PC3200 Ram, 2 HD, 2 Optical Drives, and NO problems. What brand is it? Don't know. It works. Bought it along with the case 3 years ago.

Terra said:
I am adressing his "second" issue:

He said that:

I am just helping him to be aware of not commiting FRAUD, wich I belive is a Federal Offence in the US, please corret me if I am wrong? :)

No, but thanks for the interest in my employment :)
Not that it's on topic or anything...

Terra - Funny how FRAUD makes people angry :rolleyes:

How is it fraud?

He said he had this with the stock cooler, and thats why he upgraded to a better hsf to see if he could fix the issue [ If it was a heat issue ]

How is it fraud if the problem was on the stock card, and in attempt to fix the issue [ He believing it was heat related ] placed a superior cooler on it?

Its not like he damaged the damn thing with installing the cooler.

And he hasn't said he overclocks, So as unless he corrects us otherwise we act under the premise that he has never overclocked.

So, returning a un overclocked card, malfunctioning with stock card [ Which has its hsf replaced with a superior cooler to see if it solved the problem ] is fraud?

WTF is up with each and every bible thumper in the video cards section jumping down everyones throat that even mentions the word RMA? Terra just stay out of this thread if you wont give any advice on any possible solutions. If you want to start an argument go to the Soapbox. Can we make it a rule that anyone who responds to a post with the word RMA in a deragatory manner will get a vacation?

That said you do have a power cable plugged into the molex connector on the card right?

Back