• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Issue with latest version of Mint

mortonP

Gawd
Joined
Jun 26, 2010
Messages
525
Got it installed and then had it install the ATI video driver and after a reboot got a ton of errors, next reboot Grub was corrupted and couldn't even boot to XP anymore. Never had this issue on last version of Mint I used and used both Nvidia and ATI video cards in it. Ended up deleting the Mint partition and using fixmbr from an XP cd to fix the mbr that Grub trashed. I have removed the ATI 4870 and put in a Nvidia 8800GT, you think I am safe to go with another Mint 10 install attempt?
 
Either that or try to figure out what's wrong. Can you boot into a text console or a different run level?
 
I am not in the mood for spending hours troubleshooting Linux once again. I will reinstall again now that I put a Nvidia card in but if I get the same crap again I will just forget about Mint until a more stable release is out, or just go back to the version of Mint I know has no such issues.
 
How does installing a video card driver corrupt your mbr? That's what puzzles me about the whole thing, and I have doubts that installing that driver caused the problem to begin with.

I say try to install again. Hopefully, it was just some odd anomaly.
 
I would say the MBR was dorked up to begin with but he only realized it when he rebooted for video drivers. I've never installed AMD/ATI drivers on Linux or any other platform for that matter but I've heard they're very bad.
 
I have noticed a big improvement compared to what they were. I suspect AMD has a lot to do with that. I hope it continues to improve.

For the most part, they work good provided you know which driver works best with the kernel you are using. I was having minor issues with mplayer for example with the previous two Ati drivers and the 2.6-36 Gentoo kernel. The last driver that came out last week works great though.
 
I would say the MBR was dorked up to begin with but he only realized it when he rebooted for video drivers. I've never installed AMD/ATI drivers on Linux or any other platform for that matter but I've heard they're very bad.

No, I have had an older version of Mint running fine on the same computer using both Nvidia and ATI video cards so it would have shown up then too if my MBR was already borked. Haven't tried latest Mint since fixing MBR and putting in 8800GT because I am busy with something else right now but will soon.
 
Back
Top