I've been having a problem and I'm hoping someone here has a viable solution...
I have a displayport monitor (Samsung 750) and I'm experiencing some very strange behavior with Windows 7. I'll explain my symptoms and what I think is happening...
I suspect what is happening is that unlike DVI, VGA , or HDMI, with Displayport, Windows treats it as a plug-n-play device and will remove it from the device manager if it is powered off. I know this because if I shut the Displayport monitor off, windows will make my second DVI display the primary and move my desktop icons there. It also plays the "badunk" noise of a device being disconnected.
So my question is... is there a way to have windows NOT remove a device from device manager, even if the device is no longer present? Or am I the only person experiencing this frustration?
If I use HDMI on the display, I encounter none of these problems, but I lose the 120Hz capability, which is why I got the monitor to begin with.
I have a displayport monitor (Samsung 750) and I'm experiencing some very strange behavior with Windows 7. I'll explain my symptoms and what I think is happening...
- I put my PC to sleep when it is not in use to reduce power. If the monitor is powered on before the PC is, windows will not see the display. I have to power cycle the monitor before it will show anything.
- If the PC turns the monitor off after a moment of inactivity (power saving setting), windows will get stuck in a loop of constantly detecting new hardware then removing it. The display will cycle between being on and off until manually powered off or I move the mouse to reactivate the display (which usually requires a power cycle of the monitor before it starts working again.)
I suspect what is happening is that unlike DVI, VGA , or HDMI, with Displayport, Windows treats it as a plug-n-play device and will remove it from the device manager if it is powered off. I know this because if I shut the Displayport monitor off, windows will make my second DVI display the primary and move my desktop icons there. It also plays the "badunk" noise of a device being disconnected.
So my question is... is there a way to have windows NOT remove a device from device manager, even if the device is no longer present? Or am I the only person experiencing this frustration?
If I use HDMI on the display, I encounter none of these problems, but I lose the 120Hz capability, which is why I got the monitor to begin with.