• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Issue with D-Link Dir-655

blade12

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 29, 2005
Messages
346
Hey, I ran into an issue recently with my new Dir-655 that I need some help figuring out (not sure if it is DEFINITELY the router or not, I suspect it is). I saw it was on sale on Newegg for around $50 w/ a $15 promotional code. I decided to purchase that, and I have had it for the past 4 days. Firmware is Version 1.32NA. Hardware version A4.

Unfortunately, it has been crashing once a day (I noticed it usually crashes between a window of 4:30pm and 6:30pm if that makes any difference). What happens is that it starts to slow down my entire net. That lasts for about 5-10 minutes before my entire net crashes to the point that I can't even access my router. I have to restart the router and cable modem afterwards..

Today, after the crash, I decided to connect my own primary computer straight to the cable modem. Internet started to work while connected straight to cable modem, but it was pretty slow. I did not run a speed-test so I don't know the exact speeds it was getting.


Here's how my network is setup. Before I get to it, I want to say that it is a bit messy. I am removing one of the routers (the Ativa one). Goes like this:

Motorola SB5101 Cable Modem from Comcast in the basement

From Cable Modem, it goes directly to my Dir-655 right there in the basement.

From Dir-655, here's how the 4 ports are split.
1) straight to my own primary computer from the basement to computer on first floor
2) straight to other computer from the basement to first floor
3) to Alvoi Phone adapter (that goes to the phones)
4) goes to another router (Motorola VT2542)

The Motola VT2542 goes to the 3rd floor. It has 3 ports connected.
1) goes to computer on the 3rd floor
2) goes to another computer on 3rd floor
3) goes to Ativa AWGR54 - main reason why it is connected is for wireless on the 3rd floor, which weakens from the Dir-655 down in the basement. Fortunately, it is not necessary. I just removed it just now after this 3rd crash in 4 days. I won't connect it back and see if network crashes again.


Before I brought the Dlink Dir-655 into the equation, I had a Linksys BEFSR41 version3. I never had this issue. The network was setup slightly different: Cable Modem to Linksys router. From the 4 ports, 2 of them went to 2 computers and 3rd went to Ativa on 3rd floor. 4th port went to Motorola VT2542. The Motorola VT2542 had 2 computers connected and 3rd was Alvoi Phone Adapter (4th port empty). That setup worked without a problem. It was basically the same as it is now except it went Motorola to Alvoi, but now they are both on their own separate ports of the DIR-655. I had a total of ~5 crashes in the last 3 years. Unfortunately, the BEFSR41v3 is dead.. :(

Any ideas on what I should try next to further figure out the issue? The only changes I made was take the Ativa router off and restart the modem/router. When the internet works, it works without a problem; it is only when the crash starts up. As I said, it starts by first slowing down my entire net before completely crashing. The amount of time between the slowing down of net and complete crash is about 10-15 minutes.

Thanks. If you need any more information, let me know.

edit: I also changed my DNS settings ( http://www.opendns.com/support/article/219 ) after my first two crashes. Somehow, the internet crashed today also so I am guessing the problem is not with the DNS.
 
Last edited:
Hey,

I have the exact same issues with the router.

My setup is close, although I dont have a second switch. I have all ports used, one with a voip adapter. Also wireless devices.

Fortunately I have a good isp, I have blamed them continuously for the issues, and been through 4-5 modems and atleast 3 voip adapters. Yet the same issues still persist.

I have updated and changed the firmware on the router a few times to try and fix the issue. I have changed settings to try and resolve the issue. Most of the forums I have read, including the d-link report similar problems.

Suggestions as to what to try further, if you just got the router, take it back, buy one that is suggested on this forum. I have been at it for almost a year( yes I'm stubborn), this weekend was really bad, it was going down every 2 hours, reboot fixes it. I will be buying one of the netgear wndr-3700 soon.

Although if you find anything else out let me know.
 
Hey,

I have the exact same issues with the router.

My setup is close, although I dont have a second switch. I have all ports used, one with a voip adapter. Also wireless devices.

Fortunately I have a good isp, I have blamed them continuously for the issues, and been through 4-5 modems and atleast 3 voip adapters. Yet the same issues still persist.

I have updated and changed the firmware on the router a few times to try and fix the issue. I have changed settings to try and resolve the issue. Most of the forums I have read, including the d-link report similar problems.

Suggestions as to what to try further, if you just got the router, take it back, buy one that is suggested on this forum. I have been at it for almost a year( yes I'm stubborn), this weekend was really bad, it was going down every 2 hours, reboot fixes it. I will be buying one of the netgear wndr-3700 soon.

Although if you find anything else out let me know.

Unfortunately, I don't think newegg allows a full refund without paying the Restocking fee of 15%. Ends up around $8. It isn't much, but it is just a hassle and a waste. 8 bucks out of window (doesn't even include the shipping costs back to newegg out of my own pocket and the hassle). I noticed we both use voip adapters.. I wonder if maybe the DIR-655 doesn't support it for whatever reason. Mine is from Alvoi as I mentioned; it is a complete garbage voip adapter, but I don't really have a choice for that.

Anyways, it doesn't seem like my router has crashed in the past 28hrs so I don't know.. I am going to wait 2 more days before I do anything. Only about 7 days have passed since I placed the order on Newegg so I have plenty of time if I want to return.

I posted on D-Link's forums and the moderator (I think it is a moderator since he has his own stickies but I don't know) told me to try the following things:

I recommend the following to test:
Turn off ALL Wireless devices.
Reset the router to factory settings.
Turn off QoS.
Use ISP DNS addresses.
Change the WiFi mode from Mixed to Single G or Mixed G and N if you have devices supporting N mode.

Turn on one of the devices that your seeing a crash or disconnection on and test it out for a day or time frame that you can do this. Start adding devices to the connection one at time and test the router.

Update [firmware to 1.35NA] as a last resort before calling DLink.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=37685.0
 
To be honest, I have given up. It could very well be the router/voip combination, I miss my thompson speedtouch, it was rock solid.

I should be getting either a netgear, or if I can find a newer thompson speedtouch(something with wireless n and gigbit). Although I have been reading alot about building a utm, I can use the dlink as a wireless n ap and I could always use more gigabit ports then I currently have.
 
i have one, its the DNS issues, i'll explain what you need to fix it once i get home.
 
i have one, its the DNS issues, i'll explain what you need to fix it once i get home.

I look forward to that. :)

Internet crashed once again so about 15 minutes ago, I turned off all wireless for next 24-30hrs. I don't think wireless is the issue though, but hey, that's the most I got out of D-Link's own forums. Might as well try it until I learn how you fixed the issue.

I am still trying to figure out whether I should return the router w/ the $8 restocking fee and move to another entirely different router. I have 2 and a half more weeks to make that decision so it obviously isn't a now-or-never type of decision. I am going to try a bunch of different fixes before I throw up my hands and be finished. I honestly don't want to deal with D-Link's customer service; I have heard and read many nasty things directed at them throughout the forums and other places over the years. I know Newegg is great and helpful when it comes to RMA and product returns, etc. Rather deal with Newegg than D-Link if I had a choice.
 
To be honest, I have given up. It could very well be the router/voip combination, I miss my thompson speedtouch, it was rock solid.

I should be getting either a netgear, or if I can find a newer thompson speedtouch(something with wireless n and gigbit). Although I have been reading alot about building a utm, I can use the dlink as a wireless n ap and I could always use more gigabit ports then I currently have.


After further googling, I just found these threads.. from May of 2009.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=5575.0
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=5281.0

Many people had the same exact issue. The second thread has 21 pages of people trying to figure out how to fix it. For a few of them, turning off DNS Relay helped fix it. Supposedly, the issues for most of them started up after firmware 1.31. It doesn't seem like D-Link ever did anything to fix it almost 2 years later after a couple new revisions.. Clearly the latest firmwares did nothing to fix it either. Disappointing and discouraging.. :(

Edit: Well, turning off DNS Relay didn't help. I can't get the internet to work without DNS Relay (waited about 10 full minutes). As soon as I turned DNS Relay back on, internet started to work again instantly. Looks like turning it off isn't a solution for me..
 
Last edited:
Had very similar issues with the DIR-655. In my case it appeared to be an issue with the switch - moving all connections to an external (HP 24-port Gig switch) solved the issue.

I was usually doing file transfers when it went down (streaming HD content, moving files, etc)
 
I have also had this issue. It is very sporadic though. Sometimes its often sometimes I will go weeks without it happening. I am pretty disappointed with consumer routers. I dont think I have ever had one that just worked. If i wasn't in a studio apartment I would just setup a box and be done with it.
 
Back
Top