Issue waking from W7 hybrid sleep

dar124

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm hoping someone here can give me some assistance / direction. My desktop PC (in my signature) has been acting a bit weird and taking an extra long time to come out of sleep. It would normally take 1 minute or so to fully wake up, but it's recently been taking a lot longer, 5+ minutes (resuming Windows, logging in, loading all the desktop icons, etc). This made me think that the OS drive (80GB WD) was going bad?? I ran CrystalDisk on the drive and it listed the drive's health status as "caution" and had a high number of uncorrectable sectors, which worried me a bit. I've been wanting to switch to a SSD, and this seemed like a good time to make the switch. I have a SSD (128GB OCZ) from a friend's PC that I was working on. He ended up buying a new PC instead and just let me keep is old one. So I figured that I'd use this drive as a replacement for my OS drive.

So I imaged the OS drive and switched over to the SSD. But I still have the same issue of waking the PC up from sleep (at least it does boot quicker from the SSD now). After the PC goes to sleep I used to be able to hit a key on the keyboard to bring up the Windows logon screen, but now to get to the logon screen I need to press the power button, I'll then get a "Resuming Windows" screen for a bit then the logon screen.

After a few days of searching online, I havent come up with any solutions.

I have checked the sleep settings in Windows.

Made sure that the USB ports are set to not power off during hibernation and to be allowed to "wake" the PC.

I've read a bit about S1 & S3 sleep. BIOS was set for S3 sleep, I changed it to S1 and tested that it went to sleep (I still heard fans, HD, etc running) but I could wake it up by hitting a keyboard key. I changed it back to S3 and have the same “sleep issues”.

I read an article that sometimes DVI connections mess with waking from sleep, so I switched back to a VGA cable, still no luck.

Today I read an article that a faulty power supply might cause issues with hybrid sleep, by not supplying enough current to keep the settings stored in memory during the sleep. I do have an extra power supply at home so if I get a chance in the next couple of days I might switch it out.

Any other thoughts??

So after reading this post in the SSDs & Data Storage thread, it seems that hibernation might not be recommended with a SSD?? Maybe I can/should just disable it and call it a day???

Back