Issue w/ Mikrotik Routerboard 750

Bobacus

Limp Gawd
So I picked up a Routerboard 750 to try out since it was pretty much dirt cheap ($40) and ipv6 compatible.

Although after punching in the basic settings, I've come across quite a strange issue. First of all it does not seem to like my Cisco 2900 XL switch, when I have it plugged into the lan it won't pass packets at all. No biggie, upgrading to a gigabit switch later, and I only have a few items plugged in anyways.

The weird issue is when I try to set a static IP on the wan port. Right now I have the router plugged directly into my cable modem (Motorola SB5101 on Cox Communications.) It works great when I let it run with the DHCP address assigned by Cox, although when I try to set the static IP address that i've been assigned by cox, I see about 50% packet loss, if not more. I know it isn't the address, since I've been using this address for quite some time on other devices with no issues.

Any help I can get on this will be great, I tried the MikroTik forums, although an admin has to approve your first message, which hasn't happened even though I tried to post over 24 hours.

Why do you need to set it as static? are you sure you are configuring everything like DNS?

the 2900XL problem might be because you are not using a crossover cable and the newer switches you used to solve the problem are using auto mdix.

Good point on the crossover cable, doh. The whole Auto-mdix bit always bites me in the butt.

I have the dns set in the device, anyways I'm pinging by ip address so that shouldn't matter. I'm using a static for the ftp/mail/web that I host for myself here at the house.

To me it is just weird that dhcp works just fine, while a static address has a 50% packet loss. It almost makes me think there might be a compatibility issue, although what is strange is that before I was trying to split my internet between the mikrotik and a pix, and when I ran it through a vlan on my 2900 it showed the same issues that disappeared when plugging straight into the modem. A little annoying that the issue came back after I moved stuff around.

Well I fiddled with a few things, and it turns out the MikroTik has been dropping the arp entry for the gateway at Cox, it's a Cisco device of some sorts on Cox's end.

I seem to have fixed it by adding a static entry to the arp table for Cox's router, now why this works, it's not a permanent solution, since I don't want a surprise when Cox changes out that device.

Back