issue overclocking core2duo with sata drive?

sackowitz

Limp Gawd
My ata drive took a dump, so i swapped out with a sata drive and loaded windows up.

previously i had bumped the fsb giving my core2 6300 a ~2.4ghz operating speed. changing nothing other than this hard drive, bios settings completely unchanged - my fsb is still up there but the cpu speed is now showing 1.86 in windows hardware and wcpuid.

what gives? is this some sata downfall i wasn't aware of?

e6300
biostar 945p-a7a, latest bios i could find on their site
4gb ddr2
seagate sata II hd

Thats odd, the only time I experienced curruption of Data on my SATA Drive is when I increased the PCIE Voltage.
The only thing I can really suggest, is make sure you have back ups of everything you deem to be important.

the sata drive is fine, i have spares from builds i've done... etc

it was the ATA drive i had been running that took a dump. it was running fine at 2.4ghz, and then (based on the crash logs) started making some write errors to the registry, probably during shutdown.

point being that i took out the IDE ATA drive, plugged in a sata cable and drive - loaded up and the processor refuses to go up in clock speed!

Is speedstep active (or whatever it's called now) - cause that'll drop the multiplier and CPU-Z will show a lower than expected speed. Not sure if that would give the same indications you are seeing though. But I really can't imagine how a change from ATA to SATA would affect the CPU speed.

speedstep, not sure i'm familiar with what you're talking about - i didn't see anything called that in the bios - but yeah, my feelings EXACTLY - why would changing from ide to sata drop my cpu multiplier!!!

It's a power saving protocol that automatically lowers the multiplier on the cpu when the cores aren't being stressed.

I can't think of any possible reason why the HDD swap would lower the multiplier, but the above seems like a likely explanation.

What does CPU-Z show? Try running CPU-Z while running Orthos and see if the speed jumps up to 2.4 (the multiplier will change - on my 4300 it goes from 6x idle to 9x under load). I believe the BIOS setting might be called EIST - if you see that try disabling it, although even that might not actually turn it off. If the speed jumps up when you run Orthos or prime or something then you have nothing to worry about, it is normal.

Back