Issue installing xp64bit/server 2k3

Loop2kil

Limp Gawd
Vista 64bit installs without a hitch but I don't really want to use Vista...i just installed it to play around a bit and figured i would be able to sort out whatever issue this is by now. While trying to install either xp64 or server 2k3 and when 'specifying' a driver for my SAS card I get the same BSOD under both os install attempts. I have tried with multiple good install disks and multiple floppies.

System specs:
LSI SAS3442E 8 port
2 x 73 gb Fujitsus 15k
Asus P5Q pro
Xeon x3350
4gb Mushkin
crappy Trident PCI card(9800gt will be here tomorrow.)
Corsair 620w

not sure if any service packs are integrated with either OS's install disk

I've had a similar experience. Its turned out in my case the floppy drive I was using on another machine to make the floppy driver disks was bad. Also, I have found that I can not make these disk correctly on a Vista machine, where the same hardware with XP makes them just fine. I don't know if any of that will help you, but I thought I would try...

You may try downloading nlite (www.nliteos.com) and adding the text mode driver for your sas controller to the windows installation media. You basically have to extract the contents of the windows installation CD into a temporary directory, and point nlite to the directory. You then can tell it you want to do driver integration and a new bootable iso. Nlite will integrate the SAS driver (in this case text mode for eliminating the F6 thing during install), and then will create a new bootable iso that you can burn.

This way using a floppy isn't necessary and would help to eliminate the floppy drive or the disks from being the problem.

You may try downloading nlite (www.nliteos.com) and adding the text mode driver for your sas controller to the windows installation media. You basically have to extract the contents of the windows installation CD into a temporary directory, and point nlite to the directory. You then can tell it you want to do driver integration and a new bootable iso. Nlite will integrate the SAS driver (in this case text mode for eliminating the F6 thing during install), and then will create a new bootable iso that you can burn.

This way using a floppy isn't necessary and would help to eliminate the floppy drive or the disks from being the problem.

very interesting...I have worked with nlite before...never took the time to do the driver installs though...anything special I need to do to get the driver properly embedded into the iso or will nlite do most of the work for me?

good thinking but it did not work...at least not with that driver version i added to the iso.

OMG...you are not gonna believe what fixed this issue??
I saw on another forum that someone had success with their SAS card installation using my exact motherboard by going into the bios and setting the SATA controller to 'IDE' instead of 'RAID' like I had it originally. I am formatting it as I speak/type.

very odd issue with this mother board...it was never my driver choices or method.

Back